Sign in to follow this  
AlDente67

Looking for buying advice on .308 or similar

Getting the itch to add to my small collection. Already have a decent AR and AK. Interested in a 308 or something a bit larger than those rounds.

Somonee mentioned a long time ago to choose bolt action oof lever. Is tha true?

Regardless, for somone on a budget, wht would you suggest?

M1A... or you can find an Ishapore 2A or 2A1.

I got those two, and found a decent early 1990s Remington Model 7, which I'm turning into a longer range rifle. Problem with a bolt action .308 is how easy it is to want to turn it into a precision/sniper rifle. To do it right, you end up spending a butt load of money... on optic, mounts, stock, etc.

While I think precision shooting is a very good hobby, I caution moving into a bolt gun in .308 or 6.5mm due to that addiction. Can always find .308 Mauser conversions (Israeli K98s are still out there) or other surplus rifles. Don't rule out .30-06 (Garand). Swiss rifles have a following. Can still get 7.62x54mm... so Mosin Nagants are an option (a few members have background in Finnish rifles). Mentioned the Ishapore... Enfields are out there, but expect to buy commercial ammo or reload for .303. 8mm isn't there yet, but likely will be in the upcoming years... so remember that for Mausers in it.

If you want obscure... Japanese rifles (either 6.5mm or 7.7mm) or Carcanos (I personally wouldn't do a 7.35mm due to ammo, but have a 6.5mm Oswald replica). There are French rifles, and definitely Mausers across Europe and South America.