Sign in to follow this  
CageFighter

Bushnell Tactical DMR 3.5-21x50 (ET35215G)...any thoughts?

I have one on a 6.5C gas gun.  I believe I paid around $1200 for it new.  At that pricepoint, I think it's a steal.  The only things it's missing are zero stop and a cat tail, IMO.  The glass quality is good but not great.  Next to a Kahles or S&B, you see the difference immediately.  But it's good enough for me to engage 0.8MOA targets at 1,450 yards.  The reticle is busier than I'd like but it's somewhat useful.  "At least it isn't a Horus," was what one of my shooting partners said.

As others have said, great bang for the buck.  They can be bought used 900-1k and they are the best option for long range in that price point.  

On the other hand, the turrets and glass are no Steiner or S&B.  I would up selling mine when I upgraded to a M5xi and also own a pm2.  Both are heads and tales better but 2-3x the price.

They are good for what you pay for them. If you think they compare to Nightforce or higher end Vortex then you will be disappointed. I had a couple and sold them a few years back. Good value but I was looking for something a little better in glass clarity and controls and I was willing to pay for that.

If I had to do it over again, I wish I started out with all German glass and then I would be done. Now...I know.

On 5/13/2017 at 10:53 PM, BullzeyeNJ said:

They are good for what you pay for them. If you think they compare to Nightforce or higher end Vortex then you will be disappointed. I had a couple and sold them a few years back. Good value but I was looking for something a little better in glass clarity and controls and I was willing to pay for that.

If I had to do it over again, I wish I started out with all German glass and then I would be done. Now...I know.

I have some better Vortex Scopes and the glass is no better than the DMR.  I haven't seen a night force but I have a Leupold MK6 and that glass is noticeably better, but I paid twice as much.  For the money I'd take it over an equivalent Vortex.  

Not sure what Vortex scopes you are using so I cant comment. I do know that the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x 56mm has much better glass then the Bushnell. It's also at least twice the price so you pay for it. If you want better glass for less money then the Bushnell then I would strongly recommend the Sightron SIII line of scopes. 

I'll suggest IOR Valdada

First off, IOR-Valdada glass is procured from the same source as Swarovski, Khales, and Schmidt-Bender. That source (Schott) happens to be in the Zeiss family of companies. IOR-Valdada does their own grinding and polishing of the lenses, and has their own proprietary formulas for coating the lenses. Toward this end, however, the IOR lineage of the IOR-Valdada company has had longstanding, prior, technical partnership with Leitz on optical engineering and lens manufacturing. This means that they've acquired their technology and practices for lens making from one of the foremost "fathers" of the industry.

The edge-to-edge clarity, light transmission, color fidelity, and overall resolution of IOR-Valdata lenses and lens systems (in weapons scopes produced within the last 10 years), are surprisingly close to the analogous products for mid-range [distance] imaging by Swarovski, Khales, and Schmidt-Bender, from the same periods of production.

Where the top-end Swarovski, Schmidt-Bender and Zeiss rifle scopes clearly pull ahead and put distance between themselves and the IOR-Valdata offerings on the image quality attributes (edge-to-edge clarity, light transmission, color fidelity, and overall resolution) is at the higher levels of magnification (beyond 10x).

The only major downside to the IOR-Valdada scope architecture is their heavy use of steel alloys vs. aluminum alloys in the scope bodies. This makes the IOR-Valdada scopes considerably more heavy in weight than most scopes in the same magnification class.