DanMarvel

Homeowners: Solar Panels/ Solar Energy

New homeowner and am considering Solar Energy. Anyone here have experience with them? I have zero education, if anyone could educate me or point me to the right direction to learn about it and my options.

Also saw this on my newsfeed on FB, is there any truth to this or is it fake news:

http://blog.free-solarenergyquotes.com/SLR_53_US-Switching-to-Solar.php

We have panels - installed Fall of 2015. We are very pleased. We decided to buy the panels instead of leasing or renting our roof. They will be paid off in 15 years, after that we will reap the full benefits.

Right now our average power bill is less than $3.00. Combined with our monthly panel payment, we still pay less than our average monthly power bill was before the panels.

• Like 1

We have panels - installed Fall of 2015. We are very pleased. We decided to buy the panels instead of leasing or renting our roof. They will be paid off in 15 years, after that we will reap the full benefits.

Right now our average power bill is less than $3.00. Combined with our monthly panel payment, we still pay less than our average monthly power bill was before the panels.

Interesting - how much was the initial outset?  Anything special have to be done with your electrical system?  How sunny is your environment?  My new house faces east but there's some trees to the back so I don't know how well it would work in terms of solar power.

Nothing down. Everything financed through two loans.

They did all electrical work, secured all permits, and made all arrangements for inspections and power company appointments.

A new meter had to be installed (it actually runs backwards when we are generating solar), and the company does all maintenance and cleaning on the panels through the end of the loan. They also guarantee the room for a 6" circle around every hole they make and will make any repairs necessary if there is a leak. Finally, if I need to replace the roof (I won't, it's brand new) it costs $500 to remove all the panels and put them back up when the work is done.

My house is new construction and has no trees to block the sun. The back side (long roof side) faces South for full sun for most of the day.

Make sure your orientation is good. My house faces east and west, very far from ideal. I don't get nearly the output that I would if I had a south facing roof. I also have continuing problems with squirrels eating my wiring. I believe installers today have found solutions to that.

I'm not a fan of solar in NJ.

Apparently, you are not allowed to store the energy your panels produce (battery bank and inverters) in this state.

I have been thinking of a solar/mini wind turbine with battery storage at the ranch, however.

Being able to store the power you produce makes it worthwhile to me.

I'm not a fan of solar in NJ.

Apparently, you are not allowed to store the energy your panels produce (battery bank and inverters) in this state.

I have been thinking of a solar/mini wind turbine with battery storage at the ranch, however.

Being able to store the power you produce makes it worthwhile to me.

Are you sure about that? I did a lot of research before my installation and never came across that. Generally speaking, it isn't worth it to have a battery storage system here.

Average was about $240 a month. Keep in mind, I work nights and sleep during the day so my electric bill is not normal. I keep my windows closed during the day in the sprinf (too loud to sleep during the day) and usually start my AC a month and a bit before everyone else.

Now, with panel payment and electric bill I am paying under $215 a month. When the panels are paid off, I will be paying under $5.00 month on average (according to my math).

You can store in a battery bank. But - they are currently expensive, high maintenance, short lifespan, and inefficient - you would be better served with a NG generator.

What you can't do is generate over 100% of your power needs and get paid for it. They calculate your power usage and design your panel layout to give you 90-95% of your usage.

• Like 1

HE, are you selling your credits? I am talking to a guy about purchasing panels and he says what I sell my credits for it would ofset the payment on the loan.. he seems to thinks I'll average about 14 a year.. I'm averaging about 1400kw/month. Won't know for sure till I been here a year (July).

I don't have solar but someone I know just bought theirs through GreenPowerEnergy and is very happy. They gave a much more competitive proposal then the big companies. They did an initial estimate based on digital maps and then came out to do real measurements to get an accurate estimate of power generation.

I'd consider them myself if I didn't live in a historic house and will probably be moving soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a 10KW solar array on my home for 12 years now.  Best investment I ever made.  It paid for itself in three years and has been a cash cow ever since.  The only issue is much of the economics is based on the SREC program which is run by Trenton and there is no telling what might happen to it in the future.  If you go solar I would highly suggest buying your own system not going with one of those plans where they effectively rent your roof and claim you are getting them for free or for a low monthly payment - you can really get screwed with those and if you want I can give you details.  If you want to talk more pm me your phone number and I would be glad to give you a call.  BTW just got my electric bill for last month and it was $8.99.

Could not find any pictures of my set up quickly but I found this video from my old drone of the house with the panels: https://www.flickr.com/gp/kirbinster/B6150r

Elon Musk says one powerwall battery with solar can run a 4 bedroom house lights outlets and refrigerator forever.

Elon Musk, you said enough there.  One powerwall would not provide one-third of my usage.  We have a much better system here in New Jermany with net metering.  Why would you want to spend the money on battery packs when the utility acts as a battery for you for free?  The only thing that system does is provides power during a short term power outage.  Much cheaper just to buy a gas generator.

• Like 1

I wish my system performed like the others mentioned. I attribute its poor performance to the orientation. When I first got my system SRECs were selling for $650+ now they are much less. My ROI went from a few years to well over 10. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm 100% for solar just make sure you have good orientation and squirrel proofing.

As was also stated, the power grid acts as your battery bank. Most of the grid in NJ is very reliable making a battery system a waste of money. Get a generator for emergencies.

• Like 1

I wish my system performed like the others mentioned. I attribute its poor performance to the orientation. When I first got my system SRECs were selling for $650+ now they are much less. My ROI went from a few years to well over 10. Don't take this the wrong way, I'm 100% for solar just make sure you have good orientation and squirrel proofing.

As was also stated, the power grid acts as your battery bank. Most of the grid in NJ is very reliable making a battery system a waste of money. Get a generator for emergencies.

That is exactly what I was saying on the gamble of a government program. When I installed mine SREC were about $100 but then went up as high as $650 and then dropped to as low as $25 and are now around $200 I believe. My average SREC price over time is slightly over $400.

Theres another option available thru Trinity Solar, Trinity will pay for the panels installation.... everything, even give you up to $1000 if you need to remove / top some trees.  But they own the panels and receive the rebates.  But you save on electric bill. I have a friend who went this route and is loving it.  

I'm getting a new roof tomorrow. Plan on going solar soon after.

New homeowner and am considering Solar Energy. Anyone here have experience with them? I have zero education, if anyone could educate me or point me to the right direction to learn about it and my options.

Also saw this on my newsfeed on FB, is there any truth to this or is it fake news:

http://blog.free-solarenergyquotes.com/SLR_53_US-Switching-to-Solar.php

With whomever you choose to go with.

You want to sell the SRECS

You want to own the system

You want a new roof first.

You do not want the guys that you pay your electric bill to.

Battery bank, meh. Most new panels have micro inverters. They recently have come out with a charger inverter to work with these.

As others have said, unless you're a doomsday prepper get a genny

As far as power wall. Pfft

I'd much rather have 6 volts and build and replace, vs betting on 1 unit and hope it's failsafe.

2 is 1, and 1 is none.

• Like 2

Are you sure about that? I did a lot of research before my installation and never came across that. Generally speaking, it isn't worth it to have a battery storage system here.

Several contractors I spoke to all said the same thing regarding battery storage. They said that the NJ PUC would not allow homeowners to use a storage system. I think that is absurd.

Battery maintenance isn't rocket surgery by any stretch of the imagination.

• Like 1

Several contractors I spoke to all said the same thing regarding battery storage. They said that the NJ PUC would not allow homeowners to use a storage system. I think that is absurd.

Battery maintenance isn't rocket surgery by any stretch of the imagination.

Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness vs permit sion

Sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness vs permit sion

lol that's usually my motto. Ask my wife!!

Since I don't plan on staying in NJ, not going to put the $$ into panels here. The ranch will get a miniature wind turbine and panels...along with a storage system.

• Like 2

HE, are you selling your credits? I am talking to a guy about purchasing panels and he says what I sell my credits for it would ofset the payment on the loan.. he seems to thinks I'll average about 14 a year.. I'm averaging about 1400kw/month. Won't know for sure till I been here a year (July).

We signed up for a fixed $180 per SREC. Our solar company sells them and gives us a check in May. We made ~$2k last year.

You can sell them yourself at market rate (which as over $200 last I checked) but I know insuck at that stuff so I am just letting them do it.

Theres another option available thru Trinity Solar, Trinity will pay for the panels installation.... everything, even give you up to $1000 if you need to remove / top some trees. But they own the panels and receive the rebates. But you save on electric bill. I have a friend who went this route and is loving it.

I'm getting a new roof tomorrow. Plan on going solar soon after.

My parents are doing this. They are both over 70 and didn't want a payment for the next 15 years fearing they won't be around to reap the benefits.

They are very pleased with their decision.

We signed up for a fixed $180 per SREC. Our solar company sells them and gives us a check in May. We made ~$2k last year.

You can sell them yourself at market rate (which as over $200 last I checked) but I know insuck at that stuff so I am just letting them do it.

If anyone wants to sell Srecs I can hook you up with the broker I have been using for about ten years who is very good