The brew guy

New range in Union?

44 posts in this topic

My wife was reading a local forum and found something about a new indoor range under construction in Union. The only info on location was "rt 22," and that it would be similar to RTSP and GFH. The poster stated that permits were in place and construction was under way.

I'm a little surprised that I haven't seen anything here, maybe I missed it. Can anyone confirm or deny?

That would be great since I work in Springfield.

Am curious how this would help in your case. It's not like you can park your car at work all day with your handguns in the trunk and go to the range after work. An Unreasonable Deviation. (Of course, long guns would be fine or if you are a Leo)

Thanks

Maybe in the flagship basement. Raised in Union. worked at the flagship early 1970. Drive in was there. When the train would cross 22, road was closed and drag racing would start!

post link to source please

She saw it on a Facebook group (springfield nj uncensored) and I am not a member so I don't have access to it.

Haven't heard anything about this but only construction going to is next to Costco.

I was thinking of that spot, but a renovation in an existing space might be less conspicuous.

I have not heard anything about that project but would be interested.   Link?

It would be cool to see the old "Wiz" turned into a gun range. lol, the issue is working within the original structure.

When we moved from Russia, we lived in Elizabeth and I have fond memories of driving on 22 in Union and the nightmare that that road is. 

Ray's closed in 2008 I believe. Was my favorite place to shop!. Their used inventory was unbelievable.

Unfortunately the family had no interest in running a gun business and the land was more valuable to yet another Rt 22 Car dealership. Nissan IIRC.

Yep it's a Nissan dealership. I inherited a bunch of ammo with Ray's price tags on it and wow I grew up a few years late for the guns

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 person likes this

Yep it's a Nissan dealership. I inherited a bunch of ammo with Ray's price tags on it and wow I grew up a few years late for the guns

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I was going through my brother's stash and saw he has ammo with Rays on it still. =)  Needless to say he does not shoot much.

Ah the memories of that poorly ventilated place and that cabin in the middle for the RO.  It was where I learned to shoot for the first time.

1 person likes this

I used to shoot at ray's in the 80s and it was one of a kind... North Plainfield though, not Union.

My understanding was that Ray ran the place into his 90s and by the time he offered it to his kids, they were already retired themselves (comfortably) and had no interest in going back to work. The $13M that the neighboring Nissan dealer offered for the property was probably more than the business was worth. It's a shame to lose a range, especially in such an under-served area, but if his kids weren't interested I can't blame him for taking the cash.

1 person likes this

Am curious how this would help in your case. It's not like you can park your car at work all day with your handguns in the trunk and go to the range after work. An Unreasonable Deviation. (Of course, long guns would be fine or if you are a Leo)

Thanks

We are our own worst enemy, I swear it.

3 people like this

Ray Ray, can you please clarify why you thought my post was inappropriate. I sincerely want to know.

It wasn't inappropriate at all. It was a correct statement. I just would not have said it.

It wasn't inappropriate at all. It was a correct statement. I just would not have said it.

I don't presume to know what Mr. Ray-Ray was actually referring to. However I share his sentiment.

We NJ gun owners—I'm making wild assumptions here—generally are intimate with the ridiculous, arbitrary, poorly written and interpreted laws and regulations in this gun nightmare of a state. Yet we choose to exercise our 2nd amendment rights even with the sword of Damocles hanging over our every move.

I venture to say that all of us are in jeopardy of breaking the draconian laws most times we choose to transport our weapons. The laws are vague in the extreme to entrap law-abiding citizens. It's easier to go after some one for breaking some little "catch" (like forcing a 16th round in a mag or an adjustable stock) than some gang banger that held up a 7-11 who gets the gun charges plead away.

So we get it. No need to play "gotcha" publicly. We have enough prosecutors in this state. It's like being at NJ range with a flash suppressor. Holy Crap, it's like you were beating your kid the looks you get.

I see this so often, that I have to agree that we are our own worst enemies. That is their M. O. We are so abused that we will accuse and indict our own community. Not that anyone accused anyone of anything, but there was no reason to pose that question.

My apologies, I don't want to seem like I'm lecturing. This, along with sloppy muzzle and trigger discipline, are my biggest peeves.

1 person likes this