NoLo

What would be best? Vertical grip or Angle Fore Grip?

So I been debating for sometime now on what grip to purchase for some time now. I own a Sig Sauer 516 Patrol rifle.

So far with I've been to the range shooting paper. Later this year I'm planning to take some rifle urban classes at Gun For Hire, I know they teach multiple target acquisition and such, so what would be a better choice? Or is this something will be a choice of preference?

When I first the purchase the rifle, the LGS installed the AFG2 briefly and it felt nice to hold but passed on it...

-Thanks

I've been using the Fab Defense angle grip. Really comfortable and has storage. Walmart even has them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mako-Group-Forward-Point-shooting-Foregrip-PTK/31181658

I use it on my Tavor X95 and love it.

85e4d19ff8435f41effa95dfa4d87e2e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I've been using the Fab Defense angle grip. Really comfortable and has storage. Walmart even has them.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mako-Group-Forward-Point-shooting-Foregrip-PTK/31181658

More of a Ship-to-Store thing but yeah.

I personally like the AFG as it befits my hold style.  You will see a lot of people put on a VFG and have a forward hold straight up and down on the grip - that's ok but not real ideal for my shooting style.  Others will use the VFG as an index of where they can put their hand...

Do what fits and feels best for you.

Thanks fellas, I just might go down the AFG route. It did feel good to hold.

I use it on my Tavor X95 and love it.

85e4d19ff8435f41effa95dfa4d87e2e.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I was just looking at the Tavor today, I'm wondering how lefty friendly is this rifle. 

I was just looking at the Tavor today, I'm wondering how lefty friendly is this rifle.

Its not. Needs to be converted which can be done. Its made to be converted if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9D84672A-DE15-423E-ADD9-C517F615B888_zps

These are the basics.

I started with a full size VFG using the "Full Retard" method shown above. I then evolved to the Thumb Break style shown above on a stubby/short VFG. I tried the AFG style but I just did not like it. The AFG is designed to angle your wrist comfortably while keeping your arm at full extension and allowing you to get your thumb over the top. This just didn't work for me. While excellent for shooting, it was fatiguing and uncomfortable for long periods of time at a modified ready position while searching. So far, I have spent much more time searching than I have shooting (this is a good thing) so I decided to go a different way.

I have settled on the handstop as the way to go *for me*. Unobtrusive, light, and has enough of a hook to pull against while allowing me to get my thumb over the top. I currently use a mix of LaRue (for picatinny rails) and Magpul (for MLOK) on my rifles.

• Like 1

Yea, but you got girly hands HE. [emoji6]

I think this is more than just works best for everyone. More like works for each individual. My problem is my hands are more ape like. My knuckles face forward when walking. My wrist do not turn like most. If you were to hand me pocket change, I'd likely drop it because the most I can twist my wrist is about 45 deg comfortably. The VFG works fine for me but I'd rather not use it if I didn't have too. The AFG works well for my wrist with hardly no fatigue. It angles my hands just right. The Magpul AFG which I also have was just a tad small for me and wasn't comfy to hold. The FD was the best for me.

In a long run, I think its up to the individual. Everyone's structure is not the same. [emoji3]

He needs to find what is right for him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Lol! it's true, I have the hands of a 12 year old Swedish girl.

I agree. Everyone needs to discover what works best for them with this kind of equipment. My post was more to illustrate the idea that what you choose now is not what you have to stay with. As you progress in your abilities, you might discover that your preferred technique requires different equipment to accomplish your goals.

In my opinion, if you don't have a pile of stuff hanging off the rifle, I would not use any of the various grips. There is a hand guard attached already (unless you are a guard in Escape from NY) so use that.   If you pick the right diameter handguard it will fit your hands just fine and you will  have a more linear pull into your shoulder, and more control over the muzzle rise.

I've tried AFGs and vertical grips and the like. I always come back to smooth clean hand guard, although nowadays I wrap in elastic bandage for extra grippines ,cause in my case carbon fiber is too slick.  The hand stop type are ok for consistent hand placement hints, but for me they get in the way as I don't always get to hold the rifle the way I want it, depending on what and where Im shooting.

But HE is right, you gotta try it for yourself, everyone is different.

• Like 1

Lol! it's true, I have the hands of a 12 year old Swedish girl.

Your boyfriend must enjoy that! :D

Yeah I don't have the largest of hands either... but a AFG works for me.  One AR has the AFG.  The other has the Magpul XTM handstop..... and I probably would remove or move that handstop but the pink just goes with the gun.... lol..... 

• Like 1

Tavors are totally left-hand friendly if you get the left-eject model. The right-side eject models are also pretty lefty friendly as long as you don't mind the spent brass being thrown past your face.

I'm a lefty (actually I'm right handed but left-eye dominant) and have the left-eject version but have used my friend's right-side model several times and the only time that I've ever been hit in the chin with brass is when we're shooting .223 vs 5.56. The 5.56 brass will eject consistently towards the 2 o'clock position while the .223 brass will occasionally eject closer to the 3 o'clock position. I've got an enhanced brass deflector on my gun and it consistently tosses both 5.56 an .223 brass out and away from the face of every right-handed person that's shot it (here's a link to the deflector):

https://www.bullpuparmory.com/product_p/pa-tavx95-shdef.htm

I'm pretty sure that, if I had known about this deflector before I bought my Tavor, I would have bought a right-side model instead of special ordering the left-side model