Barms

RFiD gun boxes...

I'm confused..  so the part I get is that the technology is very cool..   what I don't get is that like how/when/where am I supposed to be carrying the chip?   so lets say the chip is in a wristband of some sort.   So like am I supposed to wear that wristband on me 24/7?   Am I supposed to sleep with it on so that in the middle of the night I can access my weapon?

I just saw a video that was a coffee table that had a false bottom that when and RFiD "card" was pressed on it the bottom swung open to release the pistol.   So like do I carry that CARD in my pocket 24/7?

Yes I think the technology is better than a finger print swipe but I'm just confused.  How are you actually supposed to "carry" the chips around with you all the time?   Or sleep with a band on?  Shower with it?   If you take it off to shower then you have left it laying around for a child to take.

I think I would be prone more to leave my "chip" somewhere far away from the weapon when its actually needed.  At least I know my fingerprint is with me 24/7

Would be cool to have a chip implanted in your wrist or something, but i'm the only nut job that probably thinks so. Otherwise, you are absolutely correct.. seems completely useless as a genuine quick access HD solution. I like the standard 4-number PIN access like my Gunvault has... pretty simple, hard to mess up.

• Like 1

I'm confused..  so the part I get is that the technology is very cool..   what I don't get is that like how/when/where am I supposed to be carrying the chip?   so lets say the chip is in a wristband of some sort.   So like am I supposed to wear that wristband on me 24/7?   Am I supposed to sleep with it on so that in the middle of the night I can access my weapon?

I just saw a video that was a coffee table that had a false bottom that when and RFiD "card" was pressed on it the bottom swung open to release the pistol.   So like do I carry that CARD in my pocket 24/7?

Yes I think the technology is better than a finger print swipe but I'm just confused.  How are you actually supposed to "carry" the chips around with you all the time?   Or sleep with a band on?  Shower with it?   If you take it off to shower then you have left it laying around for a child to take.

I think I would be prone more to leave my "chip" somewhere far away from the weapon when its actually needed.  At least I know my fingerprint is with me 24/7

I played around with a few of these at Shot Show.  What I gathered from the sponsor was that you would keep the rfid card or tag somewhere nearby, or even in plain sight.  Unless you knew to where the card went.... it would be yet another card.

Yet another way to skin a cat.  Its the hot new thing for today so companies are pushing them out.

I need an RFID card to enter all of the buildings at work. I keep mine in my wallet with my credit cards and just wave my wallet at the door.

My wallet is always with me unless I'm sleeping.  When I'm sleeping it sits on my night stand.  Although it's not intentional, my RFID is within reach all the time.

• Like 1

I need an RFID card for all the doors at work as well. I placed my card in my phone case (Otterbox Defender - I removed some of the foam padding to make room for the card). It works great. I always have my phone with me, I just wave the back of the phone at the sensor and the doors unlock.

That being said, I recently picked up one of the Hornady RAPiD AR Wall Safe units.

http://m.hornady.com/store/RAPiD-Safe-AR-Wall-Lock

It is RF and combo and key access. Comes with a Fob, bracelet, card, and a sticker. I am pleased with it - I especially like that I can punch in a combo to open it if I don't have an RFID item handy.

It also holds my rifle with T1 mounted better than the AR Shotlock does.

I need an RFID card for all the doors at work as well. I placed my card in my phone case (Otterbox Defender - I removed some of the foam padding to make room for the card). It works great. I always have my phone with me, I just wave the back of the phone at the sensor and the doors unlock.

That being said, I recently picked up one of the Hornady RAPiD AR Wall Safe units.

It is RF and combo and key access. Comes with a Fob, bracelet, card, and a sticker. I am pleased with it - I especially like that I can punch in a combo to open it if I don't have an RFID item handy.

On a side note, I have the shot-lock for my 500 Mossy and although it works I find it lacking in quality and durability. I too have been looking at the ones from Hornady for the reasons you mentioned above.

I would never trust an electronic device in a dire situation. But that's just me.

Don't trust your phone to work to call 911?  Got a land-line?

Don't trust your car to work if you have to evacuate?  Got a horse/buggy?

Don't trust your smoke detector to work if the house is on fire?

Don't trust your microwave to work if you're hungry?

Don't trust your phone to work to call 911?  Got a land-line?

Yes (one of the hold outs)

Don't trust your car to work if you have to evacuate?  Got a horse/buggy?

No horse but a second car.

Don't trust your smoke detector to work if the house is on fire?

Multiple smoke detectors.

Don't trust your microwave to work if you're hungry?

Have a second microwave in the basement

What's that saying? 1 is none, 2 is 1

2 is 1 and 1 is none.

It fits. But a question about the access systems. I also have one in my building. Interestingly if the card is behind my iPhone it doesn't work. The new NFI chips in the iPhone block the rfid from activating the return ping.

In a high stress situations, many have trouble drawing a weapon from a holster on their body. So any "safe" could be an impediment. A trainer once suggested to put your car keys in your "quick access" safe So you are forced to go into it multiple times a day. That way you build muscle memory and gain confidence with the safe. It would suck if the 3rd time you touched your safe was when a couple of miscreants broke down your door.

2 is 1 and 1 is none.

The paraphrased version used often in my tech diving training was: "If you don't need it, don't take it.   If you need it, take two."

I have been thinking about the AR version. I have a pistol safe already.

Does the rifle lock in place with a magazine seated?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I guess to me the obvious issue is someone can knock your ass out and hold your chip up to the safe/furniture/whatever. I just bought a Tacoma with the keyless ignition. It's cool, but really someone can punch me in the face by surprise grab my FOB and go. It just doesn't seem secure to me. I think it's a fast solution for sure, rather than trying to turn a combo or press some buttons. It just seems too easy to gain unauthorized access.

• Like 1

I guess to me the obvious issue is someone can knock your ass out and hold your chip up to the safe/furniture/whatever. I just bought a Tacoma with the keyless ignition. It's cool, but really someone can punch me in the face by surprise grab my FOB and go. It just doesn't seem secure to me. I think it's a fast solution for sure, rather than trying to turn a combo or press some buttons. It just seems too easy to gain unauthorized access.

how is that any different than someone knocking you out and taking your keys?

how is that any different than someone knocking you out and taking your keys?

Good point indeed. But when it comes to firearm safes, I still maintain what I said. At least a combo (whether electronic or manual) seems more secure than RFID. Slower but we don't know the difference at this point as it's just getting traction now.

I have a Gunbox 2.0 and it has both RFiD and biometric readers; so I can only speak about it.

RFid chips for it come in several forms, including key fob, sticker, ring, wrist band and key card. You just choose whichever is most convenient for you.

The Gunbox does not look anything like a pistol safe, so I would have no problem leaving a fob or card in the same general area without worry that someone would "figure it out". Lastly, the chip reader is just a backup to the fingerprint reader, although it has been generally pretty reliable so far.

I realize that it is not a gun safe per se, but only a gun box; meant to keep little hands away and make it slightly more difficult to gain unwanted access to a loaded firearm. With that, it also has a few little features that make it more convenient to that end. It will "alarm" if someone tries to move it, and keep beeping until the battery dies (at least several hours) or someone enters a correct fingerprint/chip, and it will also log attempts to access it; so that I can see if anyone tampers with it while I'm not around.

One of the things that I always consider with today's electronics on consumer items is longevity. When shopping for some appliances recently to replace an oven/range and microwave the salesman said that nothing being made in the appliance industry will last more than 7 to 10 years because of all the electronic bells and whistles. Items I was replacing and still looking to replace (washer/dryer) are over 20 years old. I think this is the same with biometric and rfid in consumer products. 

Will they last longer than a smart phone? Are parts available for the electronics from the manufacturer like the fingerprint scanner or circuit board? I can answer this question with a no, they are throw away products when something fails.

The other thing is how reliable are they? It's one thing to be able to keep your kids out, but will it also keep you out right when you need it? Go on Amazon and just look at the reviews. One of the ones mentioned in this thread has over 40% reviews that are 3 star or less and that is after Amazon skews the results (read their policy). Would you buy a gun and use it for self defense if it only worked as expected less than 60% of the time?

I can tell you that my mechanical handgun safe is very fast, secure and reliable. It is over 8 years old and works the same as day one. In the unlikely event that I do wear out the lock over time, I just buy a replacement. I like gadgets as much as any guy, but not for my defensive guns storage. For the record, I wouldn't buy a smart gun either  :rolleyes: