Sign in to follow this  
sroc112

Range Review: Glock 27 Gen 4

Hello all,

I thought I would share my experience with my recent range trip trying out my new Glock 27 Gen 4. I was torn for a while between purchasing this firearm or a Heckler & Koch P2000sk also in .40. I decided to go with the Glock for a few reasons:

Price

Size (H&K being longer on the grip making the Glock easier to conceal)

Previous experience with Glock

Barrel size (H&K having a shorter barrel, felt the little bit longer of the Glock may help with recoil of the .40)

Parts and availability

I went to the range with 3 magazines, 2 with the added Pearce grip extension and 1 stock. I brought a box of 165 gr, 170 gr, and 180 gr. This was my first time not only shooting this gun but also shooting a .40 in general. From a lot of what I have read online, I was expecting to feel a very "snappy" uncomfortable shoot with this little gun. I first shot 50 rounds of 115 gr 9mm through my G19 to be able to compare to the .40. I then started with a few mags of 165 and worked my way up to 180 and then back down to 165.

I can sure say that the snappiness and recoil was no where near as harsh as I expected. Suprisingly I was almost as accurate at 5-7 yards out as I was with my G19. I say almost because my grouping was not quite where I would like it when I started letting off more rapid shots. I was concerned with using the regular stock 9 round mags as I was not a huge fan of having my pinky completely dangle off the gun, this is why I put the Pearce extensions on 2 of the 3 magazines. While the extensions sure do make it more comfortable, I shot the regular magazine just as well as I did the others.

As far as ammo goes, I did like the 165 gr. the best and think I will stick to purchasing that over the others. All ammo shot was bargain target quality ammo and it all fed with no issues. The gun performed well, as expected, and I did enjoy shooting it despite being a subcompact and being a .40.

While the recoil and snappiness was surprisingly manageable and less noticeable as I had gone in expecting, I did shoot another 50 rounds of 115 gr. 9mm through my G19 at the end and it felt like butter it was so smooth and easy. So the .40 characteristics that many people don't enjoy were more so noticeable to me when going from the .40 back down to a 9mm.

Overall I am happy with my purchase and will make this gun my one of my carry guns after about another 500 rounds or so. Hope this review helps anyone who may be on the fence about a .40, a subcompact, or both. However, these are just my thoughts and to each their own.

Enjoy!

i am aware the 26 and 27 are the same size. As mentioned, I wanted a .40.

Curious as to why you are asking me why I didn't by something else, when I just gave a positive review and stated that I like the gun that I did purchase. If the review was worthless to you and something you did not need to read, then don't.

Did you want me to sit on your lap and bounce up and down to congratulate you on your purchase?

All I did was ask a question. Isn't that why you made this post? To start a conversation?

No - it is there for anyone to see and read in case they are considering the purchase themselves. Thought I would be nice and share my feedback, as it was certainly useful for me when iv made all my purchases.

Thanks for the conversation.

Hello all,

I thought I would share my experience with my recent range trip trying out my new Glock 27 Gen 4. I was torn for a while between purchasing this firearm or a Heckler & Koch P2000sk also in .40. I decided to go with the Glock for a few reasons:

Price

Size (H&K being longer on the grip making the Glock easier to conceal)

Previous experience with Glock

Barrel size (H&K having a shorter barrel, felt the little bit longer of the Glock may help with recoil of the .40)

Parts and availability

I went to the range with 3 magazines, 2 with the added Pearce grip extension and 1 stock. I brought a box of 165 gr, 170 gr, and 180 gr. This was my first time not only shooting this gun but also shooting a .40 in general. From a lot of what I have read online, I was expecting to feel a very "snappy" uncomfortable shoot with this little gun. I first shot 50 rounds of 115 gr 9mm through my G19 to be able to compare to the .40. I then started with a few mags of 165 and worked my way up to 180 and then back down to 165.

I can sure say that the snappiness and recoil was no where near as harsh as I expected. Suprisingly I was almost as accurate at 5-7 yards out as I was with my G19. I say almost because my grouping was not quite where I would like it when I started letting off more rapid shots. I was concerned with using the regular stock 9 round mags as I was not a huge fan of having my pinky completely dangle off the gun, this is why I put the Pearce extensions on 2 of the 3 magazines. While the extensions sure do make it more comfortable, I shot the regular magazine just as well as I did the others.

As far as ammo goes, I did like the 165 gr. the best and think I will stick to purchasing that over the others. All ammo shot was bargain target quality ammo and it all fed with no issues. The gun performed well, as expected, and I did enjoy shooting it despite being a subcompact and being a .40.

While the recoil and snappiness was surprisingly manageable and less noticeable as I had gone in expecting, I did shoot another 50 rounds of 115 gr. 9mm through my G19 at the end and it felt like butter it was so smooth and easy. So the .40 characteristics that many people don't enjoy were more so noticeable to me when going from the .40 back down to a 9mm.

Overall I am happy with my purchase and will make this gun my one of my carry guns after about another 500 rounds or so. Hope this review helps anyone who may be on the fence about a .40, a subcompact, or both. However, these are just my thoughts and to each their own.

Enjoy!

Good review and thank you

Good review.

My understanding is that Glock worked hard to make the Gen 4 G27 more palatable.

Different recoil system I believe.

I have a buddy that has G29.  He finds that controllable

Good luck w/ your 27

Me?  I'm a sissy I carry a PM9.

Right RayRay? I'm a sissy?

Good review.

My understanding is that Glock worked hard to make the Gen 4 G27 more palatable.

Different recoil system I believe.

I have a buddy that has G29. He finds that controllable

Good luck w/ your 27

Me? I'm a sissy I carry a PM9.

Right RayRay? I'm a sissy?

Nope, nothin wrong with a 9mm.