John Boy

Supreme Court Reschedules Concealed Carry Case. Again...

3 hours ago, Alex V said:

Even if the court takes this case and rules in favor of the Constitution, the court has no means to enforce their ruling.  They are impotent.  NJ will ignore it wholesale, even if there is a case against NJ directly stemming from a positive decision on Peruta, NJ will ignore that at all.  They have no reason not to.  What's SCOTUS going to do?  Send in the NG?

SCOTUS has no power to enforce its rulings. But the President can as when President Eisenhower nationalized the entire Arkansas National Guard in September 1957:

Arkansas National Guard and the integration of Central High School
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_National_Guard_and_the_integration_of_Central_High_School

1 hour ago, Darrenf said:

Perhaps you should familiarize yourself with what happened in Illinois just a few years ago.

Fully aware.  I was genuinely surprised the Illinois legislature followed the ruling.

Now look at Washington DC with a similar care.  How many times did DC have to get sued since Heller?  How easy is it to get a CCW permit in DC?

47 minutes ago, NJGF said:

SCOTUS has no power to enforce its rulings. But the President can as when President Eisenhower nationalized the entire Arkansas National Guard in September 1957:

Arkansas National Guard and the integration of Central High School
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas_National_Guard_and_the_integration_of_Central_High_School

Brown V Board of Ed was in 1954.  The Arkansas ignored the decision for over three years.  You think NJ will ignore it for less?  You think ANY POTUS will bring in the NG to force NJ into complying?

49 minutes ago, Old Glock guy said:

Today being June 1st, any word yet?  Checked the site and saw nothing.  

Peruta was distributed for conference, for the fifth time, today.  If certiorari was granted or denied, the case will be listed in an Order list Monday morning at 10 am.  I believe the only exception being if one or more Justices should desire to write an opinion in dissent from a denial of certiorari.  In that case, the report of the disposition may be delayed.  They can of course redistribute the case once again for another conference.  There are three more conference sessions scheduled this term, June 8, 15 and 22.

2 hours ago, Alex V said:

Fully aware.  I was genuinely surprised the Illinois legislature followed the ruling.

Now look at Washington DC with a similar care.  How many times did DC have to get sued since Heller?  How easy is it to get a CCW permit in DC?

Brown V Board of Ed was in 1954.  The Arkansas ignored the decision for over three years.  You think NJ will ignore it for less?  You think ANY POTUS will bring in the NG to force NJ into complying?

So which is it, it's not enforced or it takes time to be enforced?  Because first you said it could not be enforced and then you gave examples where it was.  I didn't argue that NJ wont try to ignore it, simply making a comment on your statement about it not being enforceable. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Darrenf said:

So which is it, it's not enforced or it takes time to be enforced?  Because first you said it could not be enforced and then you gave examples where it was.  I didn't argue that NJ wont try to ignore it, simply making a comment on your statement about it not being enforceable. 

Never said that it wasn't enforceable. I simple believe that it will not be enforced. 

Sorry, let me clear up my previous statement. I was shocked that Illinois didn't ignore the McDonald decision. I wasn't shocked that DC ignored Hellar and had to get sued multiple times since 2008. Even still getting a permit in DC is as easy as NJ, so one could say DC never complied with all the parts of Hellar. 

In the Arkansas and the Brown v Board of Ed example it took over three years and POTUS sending in the NG. Should the Peruta decision go our way, no one will send in the NG. I firmly believe that if Peruta goes our way NJ will ignore it and no one will do anything to force Trenton to comply.  I'm sure more suits will be filed like in DC but at the end of the day SCOTUS has no will or means to enforce their decisions and no POTUS will send in the NG to force Trenton to issue CCW permits. 

United States Marshall Service answers directly to the U. S. Supreme Court if enforcement is needed and  President Retains Power to Federalize the Guard where needed

• Like 2

3 hours ago, tattooo said:

What an absolute mockery of the legal process.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

They were saying someone was going to retire this summer, maybe their waiting so the person who leaves wasn't a part of the decision.

1 hour ago, Princetonian58 said:

Peruta is not on today's order list so it will likely be scheduled for conference on June 22 which I believe is the last conference date of the term.

Jun 19 2017 DISTRIBUTED for Conference of June 22, 2017.

If no Order granting or denying petition is issued on Monday, there will not be any action on this until  on or after October, 2017 when the new term starts. The Court adjourns at the end of June for the Summer recess, except for emergent matters where stays may be issued, usually in capital cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tattooo said:

And to think our tax dollars pay these people.....why not just hear it and get it over with either way ?

The fine art of negotiation.  The court is nothing but the highest levels of lawyers in the country. The art of "lawyering" is nothing more than knowing what to say and when to say it. Makes all the difference. It is a system devised by them, controlled by them, and used by them to squeeze the essence of common decency out of every person. Basically, evil hacks who make a living out screwing people and when they are not doing that they run for elected office so they can make more laws to keep them in business.

• Like 3