Holy crap, I barely clean the guns that I use, never mind the ones that I don't use!

Does that make me a bad gun owner?

Agreed.  Statistically a machine has a greater rate of failure just after reassembly.

Thus, it fired last time I pulled the trigger and statistically it should fire the next time as well.

• Like 2

Agreed.  Statistically a machine has a greater rate of failure just after reassembly.

Thus, it fired last time I pulled the trigger and statistically it should fire the next time as well.

Love it!  Finally, a logical justification for my bad behavior.  

I do it once or twice a year... or when I shoot a gun. If I'm pulling something out and notice something, I deal with it at that time.

I had to reconfigure my main safe last week, and noticed that my one 11-87s had some spots showing up on the barrel (SP, with that matte finish). Guess I missed it the last time I went through... but a quick wipe with oil, and good as new.

Both of my safes have golden rods, desiccants, and monitors to make sure temperature/humidity stays in range. Even with that, you do need to keep up on guns.

Cleaning moving parts? Often. Cleaning the bore? As little as possible.

On, say, an AR, I'll spray Brak Kleen and re-oil the trigger/sear parts and the bolt/bcg parts often and try to keep any accumulationof crud from building. I might do it after every other range trip, if I feel like it.

As far as the barrel? Maybe once every 500 rounds I'll to a full clean and run patches down it. Other than that, I spray some carb cleaner and blow compressed air down the bore.

I didn't think it needs to be said, but, everyone realizes that cleaning the bore is not a totally benign thing, right?