2 hours ago, Tunaman said:

also,  check out Stillwater Safes.  A thiefs nightmare,,,

Hi there. I think you meant Steelwater Safes.

I checked them out. They are essentially another Residential Security Container, like my safe. (Although they don't specifically say their safes are RSCs. They say they exceed CA requirements.) This means they will deter the typical smash and grab burglar, but not one who is prepared to use hand tools to attack it and has more than 5 minutes to do so. Their '5 1/4" door' is made out of 12 gauge steel and sheetrock.

Why does that matter? Read this. That is not exactly a real burglar's nightmare. If power tools become involved, adios collection.

IMO a RSC used for guns needs to be accompanied by a monitored alarm system to limit the time factor.

20 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Hi there. I think you meant Steelwater Safes.

I checked them out. They are essentially another Residential Security Container, like my safe. (Although they don't specifically say their safes are RSCs. They say they exceed CA requirements.) This means they will deter the typical smash and grab burglar, but not one who is prepared to use hand tools to attack it and has more than 5 minutes to do so. Their '5 1/4" door' is made out of 12 gauge steel and sheetrock.

Why does that matter? Read this. That is not exactly a real burglar's nightmare. If power tools become involved, adios collection.

IMO a RSC used for guns needs to be accompanied by a monitored alarm system to limit the time factor.

I did mean Steelwater.  Sorry about that.  Check out the videos on the website.  Looks pretty burglar proof to me.

doesnt look like 12 gauge to me. 

OK, it turns out I was half right. I see now they have two versions of their safes. Regular and Extreme.

Regular Safe: "12 Gauge Steel Door and Body"

Extreme Safe: "9 Gauge Body w/ 1/4″ Steel Plate Door"

If the 1/4" door is quality steel and properly framed in and locked down then it would be more formidable. And if that's true I'm surprised I didn't see some kind of formal rating mentioned in their specs. But, perhaps I missed that too.

Looking at the Extreme door in their pictures, it has the appearance of the door in my safe. A 1/4" steel plate is not obvious. The edges appear to be rolled over and making a sheet rock sandwich. But perhaps that's just the appearance. I'm actually going to email the Gun Safe Review guy about this line and see what he says. I'm not an expert on the topic. If I get a response I'll post it up.

Notice that in all hand tool attack videos the first thing the assailants do is put the safe on its back so they can use their weight as part of a pry bar attack. This is why your safe really must be bolted to the floor.

19 hours ago, 45Doll said:

OK, it turns out I was half right. I see now they have two versions of their safes. Regular and Extreme.

Regular Safe: "12 Gauge Steel Door and Body"

Extreme Safe: "9 Gauge Body w/ 1/4″ Steel Plate Door"

If the 1/4" door is quality steel and properly framed in and locked down then it would be more formidable. And if that's true I'm surprised I didn't see some kind of formal rating mentioned in their specs. But, perhaps I missed that too.

Looking at the Extreme door in their pictures, it has the appearance of the door in my safe. A 1/4" steel plate is not obvious. The edges appear to be rolled over and making a sheet rock sandwich. But perhaps that's just the appearance. I'm actually going to email the Gun Safe Review guy about this line and see what he says. I'm not an expert on the topic. If I get a response I'll post it up.

Notice that in all hand tool attack videos the first thing the assailants do is put the safe on its back so they can use their weight as part of a pry bar attack. This is why your safe really must be bolted to the floor.

From what I see,  it doesnt matter HOW you bolt it to the floor,  but if you dont bolt it to the floor AND wall at the same time you will be able to push it over.   Dont fall for the hype of just bolting it to the floor.

• Like 1