Anyone know of a decent deal on a medium-sized gun safe? I've asked this before, but I forget: How do I get it from the curb down a flight of stairs to the basement? Most companies seem to deliver to the curb. 

You'd think someone named Newtonian would know the answer: gravity.

To do it safely, if the delivery company won't do it you may need to rent a hand truck with the vertical slides, and entice some friends with pizza and beer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.costco.com/Cannon-CS33B-Executive-Series-Safe-49.2-CuFt%2c-45-min-Fire-Protection%2c-36%22W-x-20%22D-x-59%22H%2c-Electronic-Lock.product.100341406.html

ive had this one a number of years, no issues.

As far as getting it down the stairs, we laid it on its back, tied a rope around it.  one guy at the top on the rope, another guy guiding it down the stairs behind it....hoping the guy on the rope doesnt let go too fast. 

Come along.

Boards

On its back

Dollies

Pipe

Friends

The above sounds like that weekend your wife left you alone.

But yes. That would work. Are the stairs carpeted? Straight or with a 99/170-degree landing?

The reason I mentioned the hand truck is that some of them have the Dollie wheels on the back that can be used to get them down stairs. Also really easy to set up a z-rig to one.

I think I found my Father's Day present.

where do you live? If you buy a safe from shooters they have a dolley that walks the steps, you may have to pay for delivery. You may be able to rent one yourself make life a lot easier.

this is the one they use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jLi9qAktjWQ

I was going to rent one when I got my safe. Closest place that I found who rented them was in Flemington. A tad too far. Ended up bribing the delivery guys and they got it up on my deck and into the first floor. I said screw the second floor. Might try bribery. [emoji6]

Don't forget to check Home Depot.  They're one of a few retailers that offer free shipping, which is key, since shipping for such a heavy safe could easily be a few hundred.

i recently moved a 400lb safe up to my 2nd floor.  My stairs go up to a platform, then turns 90 degrees for the 2nd flight of steps.  Not fun.  A buddy and I tried, bruised ourselves up, and ended up hiring movers lol.  

They sent 3 big dudes and got it up to my 2nd floor in literally 5 mins.  Can't beat professional help.  :superman:

• Like 1

Ask the guys cutting your lawn. Give them 20$ ea. Latino power. My guys got both of mine downstairs with no problem. Put a moving blanket under the safe and slowly slide it down. It worked well. The safes are only about 600 lbs. like two fat people. Rectangular fat people.

Ask the guys cutting your lawn. Give them 20$ ea. Latino power. My guys got both of mine downstairs with no problem. Put a moving blanket under the safe and slowly slide it down. It worked well. The safes are only about 600 lbs. like two fat people. Rectangular fat people.

I have the mechanical aptitude of a hamster: carpal tunnel in both wrists, shoulder and elbow arthritis. Pure folly to trust myself either above or below. I'd sooner juggle three loaded Glocks at Easter dinner. My friends are all so old and decrepit they'd probably die moving a 400-500 lb safe. Already been to two wakes this month. Our garden crew probably don't have the proper tools. What would happen if a safe landed on a 130-lb Mexican? 

I'm going with the movers, big strappin guys with insurance. Now the question is which safe.

Also guys, we sometimes get water in the basement. Usually just puddles but we once had about 4 inches. I imagine the door on a decent safe would be 3-4 inches above the bottom. Should I use cement pavers to get the safe up another 3 inches or so?

Also guys, we sometimes get water in the basement. Usually just puddles but we once had about 4 inches. I imagine the door on a decent safe would be 3-4 inches above the bottom. Should I use cement pavers to get the safe up another 3 inches or so?

You can also put the safe on two pressure treated 4x4's (although for security is recommended to have it directly on the concrete slab and bolt it down).

Hey Newtonian: if you haven't already seen this, then take a look.

There may be other options for you more cost effective and/or more secure depending on your specific requirements. The main point is anything rated less than RSC might be a waste of money. And even RSCs offer minimal protection. Read especially the section on doors.

I slid my Winchester 600 lb. from Tractor Supply down the basement stairs while restrained by rigging straps and a sturdy rope wrapped around the steel post in the garage several times for a winch effect. Then moved it with a heavy duty dolly. Bolted it to the floor in a concrete block alcove. And I have a monitored alarm system so anyone who breaks in doesn't have all day to work on it. That was the best I could afford and do.

REAL UL T-classified safes are in the thousands. I think my next safe will be from Zanotti Armor. You should look at them too. Read his review and comparison of them. I have their current price list and their ZA-II starts at $1,700.

• Like 1

I have the mechanical aptitude of a hamster: carpal tunnel in both wrists, shoulder and elbow arthritis. Pure folly to trust myself either above or below. I'd sooner juggle three loaded Glocks at Easter dinner. My friends are all so old and decrepit they'd probably die moving a 400-500 lb safe. Already been to two wakes this month. Our garden crew probably don't have the proper tools. What would happen if a safe landed on a 130-lb Mexican? 

I'm going with the movers, big strappin guys with insurance. Now the question is which safe.

Which safe....

Probably the best value on the market, especially since its on sale right now for $499 (usually $699).

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-26-gun-granite-safe-with-lighted-ul-electronic-lock?cm_vc=-10005

Which safe....

Probably the best value on the market, especially since its on sale right now for $499 (usually $699).

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/winchester-26-gun-granite-safe-with-lighted-ul-electronic-lock?cm_vc=-10005

I agree. That's the one I bought and I'm very happy with it. I'm just not pretending it will stop any serious attempt at forced entry that lasts more than five minutes. Hence the alarm.

It is of course effective against smash and grab jobs, guests, and unexpected children in the house (of which we have none). It does have an RSC rating and some fire protection.

What would happen if a safe landed on a 130-lb Mexican? 

why does the Mexican have to be 130lbs?   did he just run across the border/desert? 

I agree. That's the one I bought and I'm very happy with it. I'm just not pretending it will stop any serious attempt at forced entry that lasts more than five minutes. Hence the alarm.

It is of course effective against smash and grab jobs, guests, and unexpected children in the house (of which we have none). It does have an RSC rating and some fire protection.

What's the weakness? It's less than 5' tall and weighs 435 lbs. More formidable than my mother in law.

What's the weakness? It's less than 5' tall and weighs 435 lbs. More formidable than my mother in law.

The weight has nothing to do with it. It's the gauge of steel used in the door along with its formation. The bottom line is these RSC safes are only rated to withstand an attack with hand tools (pry bars etc.) for around 5 minutes. For power tools even less. Also, getting the safe on it's back is key to a pry bar attack. That's why bolting the safe to the floor is key. There are numerous YouTube videos on this subject.

Please read the Gun Safes Review Guy and he will give it all to you in excruciating detail.

The weight has nothing to do with it. It's the gauge of steel used in the door along with its formation. The bottom line is these RSC safes are only rated to withstand an attack with hand tools (pry bars etc.) for around 5 minutes. For power tools even less. Also, getting the safe on it's back is key to a pry bar attack. That's why bolting the safe to the floor is key. There are numerous YouTube videos on this subject.

Please read the Gun Safes Review Guy and he will give it all to you in excruciating detail.

WOW. Great article. Sensible recommendations. Thanks.

WOW. Great article. Sensible recommendations. Thanks.

You're welcome. I thought the guy made a lot of sense. Good luck with your choice.

My next safe will be a Zanotti ZA-II 5'. That's a little bigger than the Winchester at Tractor. The cost starts at $1,652. That's three times more expensive. But the door strength is better, and the portability is key for me right now.

Getting that Winchester down the basement stairs was one thing. Getting it back up will be another.