Jfoster99

NJ legal Steyr AUG

High Exposure talked me out of getting a used MSAR with no parts availability and enlighten me as to the NJ legal status of the Steyr USR.

It turns out the USR model uses the same Parts/Stock as the AUG.

I should be picking up the NIB Steyr USR below from my FFL in about a week.

I was told a lot of these guns simply had the barrel threaded for a break and the thumb hole dremeled off and cerekoted. I saw pictures and it looks perfect... however these are somewhat of a collectible so I think I will pick up a spare A3 Aug stock and spare barrel... Also, no sense in a quick change barrel if you don't have a spare to change to.

There is another NIB Steyr USR on GunBroker if anyone is interested.

eb7a60296a5797812090db48ebfa3902.jpg

I think I will pick up a spare A3 Aug stock

Aren't those marked AUG, however?  While you know it's a USR internally, I'd think something on the gun marked AUG - even if not an original part - might not fly.  (I don't know if there are 3rd party, unmarked stocks)

I want one of these things - I've always loved AUGs and I'm still disappointed I can't have the real deal in NJ...

Aren't those marked AUG, however? While you know it's a USR internally, I'd think something on the gun marked AUG - even if not an original part - might not fly. (I don't know if there are 3rd party, unmarked stocks)

I want one of these things - I've always loved AUGs and I'm still disappointed I can't have the real deal in NJ...

I don't think it matters if the stock is marked AUG.. the receiver is marked USR. You could put a Stock on you AR clone if it said "Colt AR-15"

Same difference.. i hope the receiver does say AUG.

Go buy the NIB USR on gun broker.. about the same as a new AUG with the steyr 1.5x scope.

This is what the USR stock looks like if you remove the thumb hole . And these pics are before cerekote. I'm Going to buy a spare A3 this way I'll get the bolt release button not on the USR/A2 stocks but totally not necessary to convert the USR to an AUG.

2d4133ae690462a3bb7ed47822a516e9.jpg69caa28cdf87237f21f7d885b68e859f.jpg

This link says you need to keep the thumb hole but it's also from like 2002 http://www.steyr-aug.com/usr.htm

Seriously though this is freaking sweet and I want one

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Correct. I believe after 2004 when the Federal AWB sunset these were ok for conversion.

FYI - Steyr is releasing a 40th Anniversary edition of the AUG A1..

It is called the STG77 and the receiver is marked as such...

This may be an opportunity to get a new Steyr... They are being limited to only 400 rifles. Check with your FFL but I don't see why this would be prohibited in NJ. It is NOT a Steyr AUG. [emoji6]but it does resemble one..

dbc080baa25fb5fd93276db9ebb39abb.jpeg

279a3c91e159b77ba7c0273821f3cce8.jpg

Will the Lithgow Atrax F90 (when it finally becomes availlable) solve whole "NJ legal AUG" issue since it's neither a Steyer or an AUG? Granted, it's not the 80's action movie version of the AUG, but...

http://www.lithgowarms.com/portfolio-item/f90/

Yes... if and when they become available

I read an article that Steyr USA only sold 10k riles in 7 years.( 120 / month). So once the initial wow of the F90 is gone how many rifles will they be able to sell. It will be a real Niche market..

US buyers want $700 AR-15's.. Anything over $1500 is a tough sell.

• Like 1

Yes... if and when they become available

I read an article that Steyr USA only sold 10k riles in 7 years.( 120 / month). So once the initial wow of the F90 is gone how many rifles will they be able to sell. It will be a real Niche market..

US buyers want $700 AR-15's.. Anything over $1500 is a tough sell.

This article makes the F90 seem like it may become another "gun of the future and always will be" like the MDR....

https://www.google.com/amp/www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2017/01/18/lithgow-atrax-f90-update-shot-2017/amp/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I spent Literally hours searching the internet and turned up exactly one M13 x 1 LH thread muzzle break to fit the Steyr Aug. They were out of production for over 4 years and the company was down to the last 3 in stock.  I purchased one just to be safe but ultimately decided to have my existing AUG flash hider converted to a muzzle brake.

The finish still needs to be applied but I am very happy with the way it turned out. Total cost was $83 plus shipping. Of course I supplied the Styre flash hider. The opening had to be narrowed to just slightly larger then the bullet diameter.

0b77bbf934d7034e131371637aa6b2a8.jpg
dadfe35f469e66c7c337815f3c66ce91.jpg
3a85b90cb3853b4edebaa86465188f99.jpg
4be95bd459038e18bf946d75e237b89a.jpg
IMG_1458.JPG
6a7b66302b6d06a8a53a8b2534d7d42a.jpg

The Steyr STG77 will be shipping in a few days. Street Prices are $2299.

SAS Tacticle can modify the Flash Hidder into a muzzle break. The $83 I quoted above was to make a custom copy of the Tulip FH as a muzzle break. He only charged me $15 plus shipping to modify my existing FH.
Cerakoted finished break shown below.

I can't swing the $$ right now to get a second AUG.. I almost wish I had waited to get this one..

Is anyone planning on getting the STG77

d1ea57cee86efb882566aeebfe20d357.png

133927c2c6aafd42632291d7e5fb9385.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

That is badass

How are the triggers?  Are they improved from the AUG at all? 

No, same trigger pack as current AUG... but there are a few 3rd party solutions to improve it... 20/20 sear, Nue trigger, Trigger Tammer, etc.. They turn the stock AUG trigger into an OK for a bullpup trigger. Geissele is working on an AUG trigger pack that uses AR-15 trigger guts. Similar to the now discontinued 20/20 HTM trigger pack. It had a very nice 4.5lbs pull.

The 2020 HTM trigger is on the bottom.. Note the AR-15 hammer.. Geissele is making something like this.

1fa163616edb511e41e5df566de3c202.jpeg

I was issued an AUG for several years.  Thought it was great when I first got it but there were some quirks which I found the AUG had and glad we went back to M16s.  JMO.  Whatever floats your boat.

There is a neat trick you can do with an AUG to speed reloading.  Take your fresh magazine and use it to press in on the mag release.  Old mag drops out and you can insert the new mag. 

The 2020 sear is the bees knees. I have one in my MSAR. It turned the stock trigger pull that was looooong, creepy, and gritty into something resembling a Geissele SSA. Worth every penny and very easy to install.

Ratworx (https://ratworxusa.com/) has a great selection of AUG accessories.

PJs (http://www.pjs-steyraug.com/) is the place for AUG parts and will answer any questions you have about what fits in what.

I just finished the conversion of my Steyr USR into its AUG format.. i had GSG Coating do the Cerekote "Burnt Bronze".

I am going to keep the original USR stock and grip in case i want to put it back in the original USR configuration for resale.

I am going to use the original 20" USR Barrel along with the new 16"... Half the fun of an AUG is being able to switch barrels on the fly.

1a7170df08f8b8953539cb8191e1905a.jpg2e2a11f71188b289aa2a14d53f3c843f.jpg
ac623f3e9cc1c748051d844de29a96bf.jpg
c15f81944f65d665056e86b4c9a66b84.jpg
d0e88ae7ccb44e9a782f5df4e06319ef.jpg

• Like 4

nice!

converted for lefty?

Yes, I got a Ratworx Hybrid LH bolt... uses AR-15 extractor/spring.
If I am shooting with a mixed group of LH /RH shooter I will use the USR stock with RH bolt and the Corvus Defensio Shell deflector( it is attached in the picture) .. not perfect for LH shooters but I can get thru an afternoon?