EWC88

Drainage

House I just purchased has nice landscaping and where all the drain pipes are goes into those corrugated piping under the ground. Some of them were hooked up and some weren't so I decided to check it out. I noticed that some are caked with dirt on inside, which I am assuming not good at all.

I have well water so I have a water system that discharges water out every 5 days or 900 gallons used. They had that discharging right by the Bilco doors. So between the corrugated pipe that is caked with dirt and this drainage in same exact spot it's causing issues with landscape and also water coming into basement.

What is the best way to fix this? Can I some how clear the piping without digging all it up?

My thought was to then put the water drainage into the corrugated piping.

Edited by djg0770
edited for door name

You filtration system has an automatic cleaning discharge.
Add tubing or piping to get it into the gutter drain system, or away from your issue.

If you think your gutter drain system is clogged.
I would suggest you first find the outlet that your leaders are hooked to. ( find low point on property whilst running a garden hose through a disconnect leader. )may be more than one.
If clogged a series of water, shopvac and handsnake should fix. ( be creative)

It is my understanding that the effluent from these filter system( brine) should never be dumped into the septic. I'm assuming you have septic vs sewer

Hope that helps

Yes have septic not sewer. The previous owners had the cleaning discharge go right by the gutter drainage piping which is near the doors to basement. No clue how they lived that way of flooding that whole area.

I'll have to walk the property to find the outlet, I have a acre of land behind me (mine) that is all woods so maybe it's dumped out there because I have a next door neighbor so can't be dumped that way.

Only 2 years old. Apparently the old owners treated their last one like crap so they had no choice but to fully replace the whole thing. So lucky me I got a brand spanking new system basically.

Yea they for sure went cheap on the output of discharge, far as unit apparently it's really good, had water company come out to inspect and also service it and they told me a lot about it (come from city water no 0 about well and all).

I am pretty handy, so when this weather gets better I'll be taking shop vac out and garden hose. I'll also investigate where the hell the output is to the drainage pipe. Could it be possibly the output be under ground?

So today I grab my hose and a fitting that had a hole in the front and on sides that would spin with high pressure. Was able to clear both corrugated pipes about 4-5' and then couldn't go any farther with hose. No clue what it was hitting but it wouldn't budge.

Looked on side of property saw no output, and the whole woods is filled of leaves so I'll have to rake a lot out to see. Only other spot I can think of is under the shed? I found a paper from old owners of a landscaping coming who did their flowers and all, was going to call and see if they have on record the file so maybe they'll know where the output is.

Yea hose stopped moving after 4-5' in. Water was coming out from top (where I was fishing hose through). Went to another corrugated pipe that's on front of house but same side, got about 5' of the hose through that and same thing came to a stop, and water was backing out from top as well.

Yes all water that came out was muddy. I was even thinking about trying find a large enough plug, drill a slight hole in it to hit a air fitting, hook up compressor and shoot a crap load of air through. Smart or not so smart? Lol

I don't really know anything about anything but curious as to if they could have just stopped the pipe 4 to 5' out. Knowing they are selling the house it is a temporary fix that looks good even though it does nothing. Or even the contractor could have doneasily it. Stopped the pipe put a cap put wholes in the pipe and surround by stone. Almost like a mini leach field.

As I said I don't know much about this stuff but wouldn't this be possible?

Yes all water that came out was muddy. I was even thinking about trying find a large enough plug, drill a slight hole in it to hit a air fitting, hook up compressor and shoot a crap load of air through. Smart or not so smart? Lol

Idk. Maybe.

Blowes or homer has a variety of snakes.

My favorite is 1/2" wide spring steel an arrow head on the end.

I call it the shit spear.

You have no idea the maintenance the previous owners did. Be patient, fill poke, vac.

Or it could be a total loss, but I'd elbow grease this weekend first.

Best of luck

Agree with Zeke.. Try and clean it out first. Odds are, some sticks or something got in there and created a blockage. You can rent a snake from home depot or just buy one. I wouldn't suggest the air thing, could do more harm than good...I'd personally suggest trying a pressure washer... Nothing crazy, just a decent electric one if you or someone you know has one.. Blast it a bit to break up the blockage and vacuum and see if that does it. A medium sized electric machine with the fan to a minimum (Pin point spray) should eat right through that crap. If its not too deep it may even clear out on its own once you blast a hole through it. Downside is it could get a little messy haha.

I never use that corrugated pipe junk. Always use sewer and drain pipe. Corrugated is cheaper but collaspses easily. Especially the corrugated with perk slits in them. Replace it all with the correct stuff. If your in northern mercer cty i can check it out for you. If you do electric snake it You can tear the corrugated pipe up even worse.

I never use that corrugated pipe junk. Always use sewer and drain pipe. Corrugated is cheaper but collaspses easily. Especially the corrugated with perk slits in them. Replace it all with the correct stuff. If your in northern mercer cty i can check it out for you. If you do electric snake it You can tear the corrugated pipe up even worse.

Pipe is collapsed -- I'd bet on it -- You will not snake it out

Gonna have to start digging and replace it -- Use SDR 35 class pipe made for drainage if you only want to do it once

ADS corrugated is junk and most landscape contractors don't install it properly 

What town are you in?

Live in franklinville, will be trying snake tomorrow after work, crossing fingers. If it is collapsed I will buy better stuff and rerouted everything and hopefully just cut the corrugated so I don't see and just leave it.

I do have between the front and rear downspouts/corrugated pipe and pvc plastic cap that when I removed contacts to a pipe that's on a angle from front to back, no clue what this is.