Zeke

Peel has permits

17 minutes ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Lol. Eh, I was just there, he is my only FFL and I love him, but the price I got my guns for was more than $200 less than he can get them for.

Comparing a B&M FFL/Store to online pricing?  Laaaaaaaaaaaame.

Not everyone operates a storefront with the space to store multiple customer firearms for months on end, especially if they're not making money from the sale, but if they're going to charge for the service that needs to be stated up front, in writing. I really want to hear this FFL's explanation. :mad:

I feel so weird.  I've never bought a mail-order gun.  Well maybe not "never" because the Mrs. bought me a shotty w/ S and H Green Stamps!  But that was over 3 decades ago now :) Never had to have a hand gun shipped to a NJ FFL for a transfer.  I go to store.  Store has gun.  I put deposit on gun and file paperwork.  I pay for gun in full.  Gun sits waiting for P2P to come through.  I don't get charged for the privilege of buying a gun and having to have it SIT, fully paid for, until permits come in.

Nobody else here ever pays/paid a storage fee.  Ever.  Which begs the question:  How long was this Ruger sitting at the FFL's?  

I'm starting to feel OLD with all of this horse-tradin' going-on.  I'm a simple man these days.  I buy guns w/o ANY paperwork :) .  Because the FEds don't treat them as gunz!

My thing is I don't mind paying maybe up to 10% more on a firearm from a B&M / FFL, depending on what it is - Considering I also have to pay 7% sales tax on that whole purchase -

I get the whole storefront, overhead, etc, but moving more units at less of a profit per unit would wash out IMO - I was in a local shop last week and the standard VP9 I can have delivered for $520 plus $42 transfer including NICS was listed at $699 plus tax and NICS = $762 -

I like to support my fellow business when I can but especially in times like these when the market is relaxed a bit and the deals are out there to be had, I'm not charitable enough to spend 40% more on the same purchase, and not even if its sold to me by a busty blonde who asks me to the tavern afterwards....

Maybe I'm an idiot but I was always under the impression that going into a gun store and haggling on price in order to "make the sale" was out dated and not accepted in this day and age (the price marked is what you pay buddy, type of thing), but then again I've been wrong before....

28 minutes ago, Ricky_Bobby said:

Maybe I'm an idiot but I was always under the impression that going into a gun store and haggling on price in order to "make the sale" was out dated and not accepted in this day and age (the price marked is what you pay buddy, type of thing), but then again I've been wrong before....

I definitely haggle.  Got my first handgun down like $75 otd.

34 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

I definitely haggle.  Got my first handgun down like $75 otd.

That's not bad at all - Besides Steve's (Monmouth Arms) shop (who's prices are phenomenal), and RTSP Blue Label purchases, I have always had this problem elsewhere at other LGS that prices seem to be really lofty to what I could get transferred - I'll keep it in mind, thanks man!

• Like 1

Local pricing is frustrating.  I was ready to purchase and I had a good price from my LGS in Burlington County.  I happened to be up in Somerset county one night and had the thought to give my business to one of the stores up there, so I called and asked for their best price.  It was about $100 over the price I had near me. Needless to say they lost that sale and I bought 2 days later at my local shop.

• Like 1

On 4/27/2017 at 3:13 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

I'll post my target list once it's done for everyone's review (... seems lazy not to do the research legwork). 

I'm confused ... so you had already purchased something and had in it storage this whole time, and you weren't doing research?

44 minutes ago, tomk62 said:

I'm confused ... so you had already purchased something and had in it storage this whole time, and you weren't doing research?

Multiple permits, my dear... burning a hole in my pocket! I already went to pick up the 22 (purchased online previously)... but then had some self-doubt about sinking more money into it. Now that I see those nifty mounting plates, I'm thinking I'll go that way and am feeling more resolved on that issue. 

Totally separate from that however, I am ALSO considering dipping into my meagre savings and splurging on a 9mm or 38 HD type firearm. In for a penny, in for a pound, right?!  So, the research I'm doing right now is on firearms bigger than .22 but that nicely fit a smaller hand.  I hope that clarifies things! Sorry for the confusion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Totally separate from that however, I am ALSO considering dipping into my meagre savings and splurging on a 9mm or 38 HD type firearm. In for a penny, in for a pound, right?!  So, the research I'm doing right now is on firearms bigger than .22 but that nicely fit a smaller hand.  I hope that clarifies things! Sorry for the confusion.

M&P shield with 75$ mail in rebate right now can't beat it.

1 minute ago, cabalrayz said:

M&P shield with 75$ mail in rebate right now can't beat it.

Do you know how long that's going on? Because I will NOT jump quickly again. I need to shoot several things, try them out... feel 100% about the choice. Slow and steady. If I miss a rebate, I miss a rebate.

2 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Have you thought about safes?

Oh, crap! My head's gonna explode, spewing gray matter everywhere. LMAO!! So many decisions.

Actually, for the time being, I purchased and placed a trigger lock on it until i can decide next steps. And I recall, there was a good thread on here recently all about safes, so I plan to just look that up - go with the crowd-sourced choice - and order something  - or "sumtin" in Zeke-Speak.

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

You're more than welcome to try any of my 9mm's... or even my S&W 686 but that's really not made for smaller hands.

That's very kind, thank you! Curious... what do you have?

S&W 686-3 .38/.357

Beretta Px4 Storm 9mm
S&W M&P 9L
FN Hi Power MK III
Beretta Nano

Also the Beretta Neos .22LR and my Extar EXP-556 AR Pistol, lol...

I have some permits coming up soon - might get a M&P Shield or Bodyguard 380 since they're so cheap right now

Such peer pressure! I have been so busy with work... but much thanks (again) to Griz, at least some likes/dislikes/neutral issues have materialized. I can see there's no substitute for actually SHOOTING the guns --- I have learned some things that really surprised me: 

• I have no strong preference re: metal vs. polymer (my initial preconceived bias was "A plastic gun??!! Ick! Are you freakin' kidding me?!" But, the polymer guns don't necessarily feel "cheap" as I thought they would. It's just a different material, that's all).
  • I also have no preference re: semi-auto vs. revolver either (I initially thought revolvers were, frankly, kinda fuddy-duddy (sorry, revolver fans)... but now, I've come around. I actually appreciate their ease of use & simple functional design. They are an option).

For me, the YUGE, looming issue is the fit of the grip in my hand. As long as I feel like my small, relatively weak hands have a good grip on the gun... all other factors fade into irrelevance. That has quickly narrowed the field to single-stack semi-autos (and if they're compact, I want the extended magazine so my pinky finger is not dangling) -or- smallish revolvers. Some options I still want to compare/contrast are:

• S&W K frame 357 revolver w/4 in barrel
  • Glock 43
  • M&P Shield (unfortunately, due to work schedule this week, I probably won't have my decision nailed down before the $75 rebate runs out on the 30th. Oh, well!)
  • single-stack 1911 (btw, aesthetically, this is my hands-down fav --- LOVE the classic look (equal parts elegant and badass) and the nice, weighty feel of it... but price-wise, it may be a little too rich for my wallet). 

Unlike some of you who buy and buy and buy (not that there's anything wrong with that, lol!)... this next purchase is likely the last I'll make for awhile, so I'm taking my time. But, I sincerely apologize for not moving at your desired speed. I do promise that you'll be the first to know of my purchase! :triniti:

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Such peer pressure! I have been so busy with work... but much thanks (again) to Griz, at least some likes/dislikes/neutral issues have materialized. I can see there's no substitute for actually SHOOTING the guns --- I have learned some things that really surprised me: 

• I have no strong preference re: metal vs. polymer (my initial preconceived bias was "A plastic gun??!! Ick! Are you freakin' kidding me?!" But, the polymer guns don't necessarily feel "cheap" as I thought they would. It's just a different material, that's all).
  • I also have no preference re: semi-auto vs. revolver either (I initially thought revolvers were, frankly, kinda fuddy-duddy (sorry, revolver fans)... but now, I've come around. I actually appreciate their ease of use & simple functional design. They are an option).

For me, the YUGE, looming issue is the fit of the grip in my hand. As long as I feel like my small, relatively weak hands have a good grip on the gun... all other factors fade into irrelevance. That has quickly narrowed the field to single-stack semi-autos (and if they're compact, I want the extended magazine so my pinky finger is not dangling) -or- smallish revolvers. Some options I still want to compare/contrast are:

• S&W K frame 357 revolver w/4 in barrel
  • Glock 43
  • M&P Shield (unfortunately, due to work schedule this week, I probably won't have my decision nailed down before the $75 rebate runs out on the 30th. Oh, well!)
  • single-stack 1911 (btw, aesthetically, this is my hands-down fav --- LOVE the classic look (equal parts elegant and badass) and the nice, weighty feel of it... but price-wise, it may be a little too rich for my wallet). 

Unlike some of you who buy and buy and buy (not that there's anything wrong with that, lol!)... this next purchase is likely the last I'll make for awhile, so I'm taking my time. But, I sincerely apologize for not moving at your desired speed. I do promise that you'll be the first to know of my purchase! :triniti:

Extensions de Permit?

If "the YUGE, looming issue is the fit of the grip in my hand." then you should really get a hold of a CZ P01 or similar sized CZ  (Compact, PCR, etc).

Very ergonomic.  Metal guns so 9mm recoil isn't bad.  And can buy a 22 convesion kit down the road if you want to.

Good review of PCR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDx3BtSHLwg

Decent review of P01:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRAlqz2-j4I

Video that compares both (I only skimmed through video....seemed decent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeoTQkLctM4&spfreload=1

In a nutshell diff between PCR and P01, the PCR is more of a carry gun.  It doesn't  have an accessory/light rail that P01 does have and PCR has special sights that reduce chance of snagging on clothing and PCR has standard CZ sights.

There is also the full size CZ 75-B which is a fantastic handgun.  I have smaller hands and prefer the P01.

Good luck with your search.