Zeke

Peel has permits

4 minutes ago, Zeke said:

I have a felling Peels hand gun shoot out meet up will, leave many of us ; distraught, broken, dismayed, and flummoxed.

Broken up with laughter maybe... and dismayed by how much of a 4-eyed, half-blind rube I am! :B:): 

But, I've been having fun with my little plinker nonetheless. And that's what counts!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, gleninjersey said:

If "the YUGE, looming issue is the fit of the grip in my hand." then you should really get a hold of a CZ P01 or similar sized CZ  (Compact, PCR, etc).

Very ergonomic.  Metal guns so 9mm recoil isn't bad.  And can buy a 22 convesion kit down the road if you want to.

Good review of PCR.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDx3BtSHLwg

Decent review of P01:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRAlqz2-j4I

Video that compares both (I only skimmed through video....seemed decent)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeoTQkLctM4&spfreload=1

In a nutshell diff between PCR and P01, the PCR is more of a carry gun.  It doesn't  have an accessory/light rail that P01 does have and PCR has special sights that reduce chance of snagging on clothing and PCR has standard CZ sights.

There is also the full size CZ 75-B which is a fantastic handgun.  I have smaller hands and prefer the P01.

Good luck with your search. 

Mrs Peel doesn't like double column 9mms.  In order to reach the trigger she needs to turn her hand on the grip so it's mostly thumb supporting the backstrap.

I'm not a believer in "how it feels in your hand".  You can learn to shoot a handgun with a grip like a 2x4 well if you have to.  The easy answer to Mrs. Peel's issue is a single column semi auto.  She shot well with all of those including a couple of 1911 45s.  She also did quite good with a revolver despite the "long, heavy, double action pull" I see a lot of people complain about.

I take little credit for how well she did.  The credit goes to her uncle who taught her bullseye shooting.  That's where you really learn fundamentals.  We used to have to master bullseye shooting in the olden days before we moved on to combat shooting.  A lot of people want to skip that part and want to go straight to shooting like Mel Gibson or Bruce Willis while doing cartwheels.

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

I'm not a believer in "how it feels in your hand".  You can learn to shoot a handgun with a grip like a 2x4 well if you have to.  

To a point.  Different grip angles may take some getting used to, but one can get used to them.

Where grip fit is really important, and I'm speaking more as a precision shooter, but the principles apply in general, is in grip diameter.   If the grip fits 'correctly' in that regard, the flats of the middle bones of your fingers will lie flat across the front strap of the gun, and increasing your grip strength will then push the grip straight back into the heal of your hand.   If the grip is too fat, your hand won't wrap around correctly, and the flats of your finger bones will be off to the right (for a right-handed shooter) of the front strap; if the grip is too small, your hand will wrap around too far, and the flats of the bones will be off to the left of the front strap.

Why does that matter?   If your grip strength is absolutely the same from shot to shot, it might not...but if it varies a little (and I think it does for everyone), having the flats of your finger bones pushing the grip straight back into the web of your hand means the sights stay aligned, side to side, regardless of variations in grip strength.  It eliminates one pesky variable.  If your hand is over-wrapped or under-wrapped, changing your grip strength will torque the gun to one side or the other.  

Point an empty handgun at a wall,  overwrap or underwrap your hand on the grip, increase and decrease grip pressure, and watch the sights move side to side.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

To a point.  Different grip angles may take some getting used to, but one can get used to them.

Where grip fit is really important, and I'm speaking more as a precision shooter, but the principles apply in general, is in grip diameter.   If the grip fits 'correctly' in that regard, the flats of the middle bones of your fingers will lie flat across the front strap of the gun, and increasing your grip strength will then push the grip straight back into the heal of your hand.   If the grip is too fat, your hand won't wrap around correctly, and the flats of your finger bones will be off to the right (for a right-handed shooter) of the front strap; if the grip is too small, your hand will wrap around too far, and the flats of the bones will be off to the left of the front strap.

Why does that matter?   If your grip strength is absolutely the same from shot to shot, it might not...but if it varies a little (and I think it does for everyone), having the flats of your finger bones pushing the grip straight back into the web of your hand means the sights stay aligned, side to side, regardless of variations in grip strength.  It eliminates one pesky variable.  If your hand is over-wrapped or under-wrapped, changing your grip strength will torque the gun to one side or the other.  

Point an empty handgun at a wall,  overwrap or underwrap your hand on the grip, increase and decrease grip pressure, and watch the sights move side to side.

You are correct when it comes to precision shooting.  You want to keep everything as uniform as possible.  You can't screw around on rapid fire stages.

Combat shooting is not as critical when it comes to accuracy.  That's why combat handguns are generally not as accurate as true target guns.  That is why they cost more.

11 hours ago, GRIZ said:

Mrs Peel doesn't like double column 9mms.  In order to reach the trigger she needs to turn her hand on the grip so it's mostly thumb supporting the backstrap.

I'm not a believer in "how it feels in your hand".  You can learn to shoot a handgun with a grip like a 2x4 well if you have to.  The easy answer to Mrs. Peel's issue is a single column semi auto.  She shot well with all of those including a couple of 1911 45s.  She also did quite good with a revolver despite the "long, heavy, double action pull" I see a lot of people complain about.

I take little credit for how well she did.  The credit goes to her uncle who taught her bullseye shooting.  That's where you really learn fundamentals.  We used to have to master bullseye shooting in the olden days before we moved on to combat shooting.  A lot of people want to skip that part and want to go straight to shooting like Mel Gibson or Bruce Willis while doing cartwheels.

Lots of folks with smaller hands seem to gravitate to single-stacks & revolvers, myself included.  I can shoot ANYTHING well after a few practice dry-fires and a few rounds for practice.  Haven't tried a 2x4 yet, but a friend's .44 mag Auto Mag felt close to that 2 x 4!  Mind you I've owned a Model 29 since '79, and can shoot it weak hand only thanks to rubber grips.

When Peel first came aboard asking questions, I never told her what to buy.  The small hands situation exemplifies WHY.  You've taken her to CJ, and therefore are mentoring her well.  So THANKS for doing so.  I'm sure she'll find what she needs and make a lifetime purchase.  

I tried Bullseye many years ago.  It's not my favorite, but I have friends who can shoot a single ragged hole at 25 yards no problem :) 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Smokin .50 said:

Lots of folks with smaller hands seem to gravitate to single-stacks & revolvers, myself included.  I can shoot ANYTHING well after a few practice dry-fires and a few rounds for practice.  Haven't tried a 2x4 yet, but a friend's .44 mag Auto Mag felt close to that 2 x 4!  Mind you I've owned a Model 29 since '79, and can shoot it weak hand only thanks to rubber grips.

When Peel first came aboard asking questions, I never told her what to buy.  The small hands situation exemplifies WHY.  You've taken her to CJ, and therefore are mentoring her well.  So THANKS for doing so.  I'm sure she'll find what she needs and make a lifetime purchase.  

I tried Bullseye many years ago.  It's not my favorite, but I have friends who can shoot a single ragged hole at 25 yards no problem :) 

I don't try to steer people into what I like. I let them decide what they like.  What's best for me isn't necessarily best for you.  However, I do think people make some stupid decisions in selecting firearms 

I have large hands but short fingers.  I need to wrap my hand around the grip "too much" in order to reach the trigger.

For most of my life I've been told what I'm going to carry, either a specific gun or from a list of approved guns.  As a result I've learned to adapt easy to most firearms.  I have my likes and dislikes.

• Like 2

I'm chuckling to myself... I NEVER would have opened this thread in a million years... I'm far more comfortable "posting" topics than "being" the topic! But thanks to Zeke: :icon_redface:  Oy!

Anyway, I love Smokin 50's comment about a lifetime purchase. That meshes with my own attitude. (He's another one with great advice btw!) I'm liable to exasperate the hell out of the "instant gratification" types... It's entirely possible that I might not use another permit from this current batch (yes, I know.. it's a cardinal sin to let them expire... get over it, people, LOL). 

Don't forget, I DID buy 1 gun already. And as much as I'm convinced the Ruger 22/45 will be absolutely fine in this beginner mode, I have to admit, in the interim, I had already become "spoiled" by my uncle's S&W Model 41. (Even a beginner like me can tell the difference: Honda vs. Jaguar.) There's a lesson there - it reminded me that I've always been someone who would opt to delay a purchase, save up more money, and then get an item of superior quality that I'd "love" forever. It's just how I'm wired. So, I've extended my permits to buy a little more time... but if I don't use them, I'll just apply for a new set. I won't be rushed. I want to shoot many, many more firearms and then lock in on a final, well thought out choice.   

I'm really liking this precision bullseye shooting - soooo I might just end up saving up money for a nice 1911 in .45 (which could be used, as i understand, in the 2nd and 3rd rounds of bullseye)... and could also "double" as an HD gun. It's still just a hunch at this point... more exploration needed.

So, keep the great firearm suggestions coming... but chill-axe too. I will likely be moving like a tortoise on this purchase. ;)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ray Ray said:

I'm amazed that more people don't choose revolvers.  I will always recommend a 4 inch 357 magnum.  It's the one gun to have, if you can only have one.

No argument from me Ray on that.

However, if you're into bullseye shooting there's 3 stages 22, centerfire, and 45. Many use a 45 to shoot centerfire and 45.  

24 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I'm amazed that more people don't choose revolvers.  I will always recommend a 4 inch 357 magnum.  It's the one gun to have, if you can only have one.

Almost hit the old Schaefer beer jingle there lol. But yes way back when I was only going to buy one gun (laughter) it was indeed a 357mag. 

Most new shooters will recommend guns based upon what they themselves "like".  People like guns for LOTS of reasons.  Most Newbies "like" guns based upon "looks", not whether or not they can really HIT with it.  "Hitting" in my opinion is both measured in "up-close" combat scenarios AND being able to crush clay birds up on a berm at 50 yards by slowing-down and igniting primers while the sights are aligned.  Getting comfortable BOTH ways is optimum, and takes time and practice, especially if your Bullseye gun is your HD gun.  Most Newbies can't grasp using a hand gun at 50 yards, and most new shooters engage their targets at 10 yards or less, as can be easily witnessed at any indoor commercial range.

FWIW most Bullseye shooters use their 1911's in .45 ACP for the center fire portion of the match since A.  They know it well (one less gun to "master".  B.  .45 holes are BIG (especially hand-loaded SWC) and scores go up if the scoring ring is broken (9's become 10's and 10's become X's).  C.  The Sheriff was right:  "They don't make a .46" w/ a superior, tuned, single-action trigger :)  

• Like 1

Peel,

you're welcome to try anything I got.

im sure most here feel the same.

Maybe set up a pistol meetup or sumtin?

Honestly what are on the fence about ? Like" I like this one, read bout that one. I'm soo confused on which 1911 is worth it" etc.etc.etc

jus sayen.

i also let permits burn

8 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Peel,

you're welcome to try anything I got.

im sure most here feel the same.

Maybe set up a pistol meetup or sumtin?

Honestly what are on the fence about ? Like" I like this one, read bout that one. I'm soo confused on which 1911 is worth it" etc.etc.etc

jus sayen.

i also let permits burn

Thank you! I will probably start taking people up on offers. And thank you for saying you "let permits burn" -- it's easy around here to get swept up in "permit fever". Seems like a lot of forum members have that disease! LOL.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Thank you! I will probably start taking people up on offers. And thank you for saying you "let permits burn" -- it's easy around here to get swept up in "permit fever". Seems like a lot of forum members have that disease! LOL.

Gun grabbers " unintended consequences "

jus how shit works. Know wut i meen?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Once we're moved into the new house, the wife and kid will be out of town for a while so I should be able to get in some range time at SCFGPA.  I'll let you know.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

I've let them "burn" too.  I remember when 2 permits bought a carton of ciggs or a case of beer.  They never did raise the price of a P2P:  two generations later (more than a half-century) they're still just TWO BUCKS!

It's Grillin' & Chillin' Time at the Range for me Peel, so any time you wanna "choot" and partake of my BBQ skillz on a weekday, lemme know.  Shoot a LOT, eat a little, celebrate FREEDOM & have a See-Gar for dessert (or not, your call)!  Maybe even do a couple beginner "action" drills if yer comfortable?  No one goes home hungry or sorry they came, lol :) 

1 hour ago, Smokin .50 said:

I've let them "burn" too.  I remember when 2 permits bought a carton of ciggs or a case of beer.  They never did raise the price of a P2P:  two generations later (more than a half-century) they're still just TWO BUCKS!

It's Grillin' & Chillin' Time at the Range for me Peel, so any time you wanna "choot" and partake of my BBQ skillz on a weekday, lemme know.  Shoot a LOT, eat a little, celebrate FREEDOM & have a See-Gar for dessert (or not, your call)!  Maybe even do a couple beginner "action" drills if yer comfortable?  No one goes home hungry or sorry they came, lol :) 

Wow. Cigars? Yup, I'm really one of the boys now. If I don't watch out, I'll be engaging in dirty talk and bathroom humor any day now. What would my dear departed mother say? :facepalm: She'd be horrified (and laughing too, god bless her).

Sending you a PM.

• Like 1

When we had bi-weekly meet-ups at the Bullet Hole, the thread would be full of "hey, can someone bring blah blah" and "I wanna shoot a 357".  

Those were the dayz.

• Like 1

On 6/28/2017 at 3:27 PM, Mrs. Peel said:

Wow. Cigars? Yup, I'm really one of the boys now. If I don't watch out, I'll be engaging in dirty talk and bathroom humor any day now. What would my dear departed mother say? :facepalm: She'd be horrified (and laughing too, god bless her).

Sending you a PM.

I replied to your PM.  Yer gonna have FUN!  Cigars & "dirty talk" optional :) 

12066032_10207186185666511_8246082849273988381_n.jpg

• Like 1