Zeke

Peel has permits

No problem at all. Pizza Bob is the only Forum member I'm sure I've met in person. So sometimes all the chatter does escape me.

But I'll 'endeavor to persevere'. I enjoy the commentary with or without personal experience.

do you shoot scatter guns? Or jus hand blasters?

5/21/17 shotgun shoot out. Jus sayen....

• Like 1

do you shoot scatter guns? Or jus hand blasters?

5/21/17 shotgun shoot out. Jus sayen....

Primarily handguns. But there's some rifles warming up for me in the bullpen. Historically it's been much more convenient to shoot handguns, and my wife is an equal partner in that mode.

Shotguns? Only for SD at this point. And I need some practice.  I'll keep the Shot Gun Shoot Out in mind. Even if I don't shoot perhaps a little meet and greet would be in order. 

• Like 2

We digress. You and your wife both shoot.

Give Peel your free advice

Perhaps I'll let my wife dispense some. However she has hands equal to mine, so she shoots anything I can shoot.

At the beginning of her adventure she was a definite Glock Girl. She still has them and shoots them, but right now the VP9, PPQ 45, PPQ M2 in 9mm, and PPS 9mm are getting the nod. The VP9 and PPQs came with medium grips installed. I had to bump up the grip sizes on all of them for her. If Emma tries out any maybe they could be bumped down a notch.

Interesting you should ask... I picked up my used Ruger 22/45 just this week. I'm so dismayed, disgusted, ticked off... I actually decided to hold off on posting until I calmed down, but since you prompted me, Zeke...here goes... (Trigger Warning: If pathetic whining, wailing and bitching triggers you, please stop reading now...)

How did I miss this?... The FFL I picked it up from gave me the shock of my life when he told me that he had been charging me $15 a month for storage!! Ummm, I'm 100% certain his employee did NOT tell me that when I arranged to ship the gun to them (I even went home, found my original notes - no notation of that). I feel like a dipshit. Yes, I had a lot of family/eldercare issue this year which threw a wrench into every single freakin' aspect of my life, but you can bet your bippie if I knew I was being charged, I would have gotten there sooner. I told him, calmly and nicely (twice): "You and your staff really ought to tell your customers about that policy from the start - some will be first-timers like me" - but he didn't bite and I could tell he wasn't going to budge on the charge. So, is monthly storage a customary charge?

To make matters worse, since this is an older Ruger, it is not pre-drilled for a red dot sight.... that i DID already know, but I was counting on my uncle's estimate of what that service would cost, because he's very knowledgeable on all things guns. So, I started calling around to gunsmiths - turns out, uncle's estimate is perhaps off (probably hasn't had a gun worked on in some time). He thought maybe 30 bucks for the job, and so far, $25 PER FREAKIN' HOLE(!) is the best quote I've gotten. I'm still investigating.

Long story short, I'm well on my way to having "The World's Most Expensive, Used, Beat-up, Fugly-looking Gun".  I couldn't be prouder! Seriously, I could cry (and trust me, I only cry at funerals - so that's how damn bad I feel). Is this my fault? Yes, of course it is. Ultimately, buyer beware. I own that. Which is why if  storage charges are indeed customary... I will not name the FFL. I certainly won't use him again personally, but he's a small business person and he was otherwise pleasant and informative, so I just won't trash him on here. I'm willing to own my own idiocy. But, I'm still mad... sad... feeling like a dupe, etc. I'm going to put some rounds through my expensive, fugly gun for the first time this Friday. Hopefully, it shoots like a peach and I won't be quite so disheartened.

But, still in a quandary... keep sinking mo' money into the gun with the gunsmithing charges? Or bite the bullet (so to speak), consider it a life lesson and a loss (maybe a guest gun?)... and put that money  instead towards a new 22 already set up to mount a red dot? Either way, I'm going to be blowing more money than I ever wished... and the whole point was to do this cheaply since my eldercare issues really pounded my income this past year. So, I'm off to a brilliant start in this new hobby!  :mad:

2 minutes ago, cabalrayz said:

I've never had an FFL charge me storage on a gun he sold me or one that i was having transferred. Well, ain't that interesting?! I'll see what the crowd says. Was I duped? Now I feel even worse! My mk3 hunter has the holes for the rail but i instead removed the rear sight and got a mounting plate for my burris fastfire 3 instead.  Maybe this is an option for you? OK, maybe that IS an option. This is all Greek to me. Can you please tell me... what is the brand/type of mounting plate so I can look that up? Thx.

dKKbCHJl.jpg

This is what it looks like, you just use a punch and knock your rear sight out and install this. Not sure what type of red dot you have or looking to buy this only works for the burris.  I'm sure other manufactures make similar mounts.  Probably can get it cheaper than Amazon link but has a good picture to give you idea how it works

https://www.amazon.com/Burris-Fastfire-Mount-fits-Rugger/dp/B000UV3ZPG/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1493855126&sr=8-5&keywords=burris+fastfire+iii+mount

• Like 1

Again, not a gun genius here... LOL! So, please help me understand. Let's say I bought that gadget AND a Burris red dot site. Down the road, I want to move the Burris red dot sight to a newer gun... a newer gun would be pre-drilled so no problem there.

But, this gun (the Ruger) when then have this plate that can only accept another Burris brand red dot, correct? So, then I guess I could put the iron sight back in? Or, would it make more sense to get this more "generic" type of mount based on the same principle? Then I could put any brand on the older gun that I wanted to?

https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Drill-Scope-Mount-Weigand/dp/B003LXPX3W/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003LXPX3W&pd_rd_r=GA0ZMEVF9381FZ9TR3QA&pd_rd_w=6GZuA&pd_rd_wg=weGpo&psc=1&refRID=GA0ZMEVF9381FZ9TR3QA

I just happened to see this on Amazon. Could you weigh in on that? I guess I don't want to throw money on gadgets that won't be "universal" if that makes sense. H-E-L-P M-E!

3 minutes ago, jackandjill said:

If you were not told or its not on the notes, then you were duped.  Dont feel bad about it, we all get duped. 

I do feel bad! Very bad indeed. I like to think of myself as someone who doesn't get duped.

But I think I need to let it go, too. I've had a very hard year. This is not even close to the worst thing that happened. This is not the thing to go to war over... or even lose sleep over for that matter. Of course, if I had my notes in front of me, I would have put up more of a fuss. But, it's water under the bridge now.

Damn, this gun better shoot straight! LMAO. In the future, I'll probably do things differently: 1) never buy until the permit is in-hand, and 2) save up and buy something shiny and brand-new (unless it's a collectible/antique). I think I will be happier in the long run if I do those things. Lessons learned!

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Again, not a gun genius here... LOL! So, please help me understand. Let's say I bought that gadget AND a Burris red dot site. Down the road, I want to move the Burris red dot sight to a newer gun... a newer gun would be pre-drilled so no problem there.

But, this gun (the Ruger) when then have this plate that can only accept another Burris brand red dot, correct? So, then I guess I could put the iron sight back in? Or, would it make more sense to get this more "generic" type of mount based on the same principle? Then I could put any brand on the older gun that I wanted to?

https://www.amazon.com/Ruger-Drill-Scope-Mount-Weigand/dp/B003LXPX3W/ref=pd_sbs_200_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003LXPX3W&pd_rd_r=GA0ZMEVF9381FZ9TR3QA&pd_rd_w=6GZuA&pd_rd_wg=weGpo&psc=1&refRID=GA0ZMEVF9381FZ9TR3QA

I just happened to see this on Amazon. Could you weigh in on that? I guess I don't want to throw money on gadgets that won't be "universal" if that makes sense. H-E-L-P M-E!

It's ugly but would work just fine and be universal.

Which FFL was it so we know to avoid?  I've never had one charge me for storage before either.

I wish I had known you were looking for a .22LR to put a red dot on - I woulda recommended the Beretta Neos - It has a rail right on the top and I just threw a red dot on with no issues.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

Which FFL was it so we know to avoid?  I've never had one charge me for storage before either.

I wish I had known you were looking for a .22LR to put a red dot on - I woulda recommended the Beretta Neos - It has a rail right on the top and I just threw a red dot on with no issues.

Ugh Neos never seen an uglier gun and trigger is terrible, the correct choice would have been a s&w victory for about 365$ brand new.  Plenty of aftermarket parts available for it now.

Steve has held multiple items for me for months without any problems. 

Not to completely derail, have you thought about putting the RDS on your next gun, Glock, VP9, whatever, and focus on fundamentals. Using the sights is important, and if you learn with a red dot you may have a harder time just picking up a gun and shooting it.

Also, both of my handguns were bought used FTF from forum members and I couldn't be happier. You can always meet at the range and try it before you buy. 

7 minutes ago, cabalrayz said:

Ugh Neos never seen an uglier gun and trigger is terrible, the correct choice would have been a s&w victory for about 365$ brand new.  Plenty of aftermarket parts available for it now.

S&W Victory is good too.  Just going by experience.  The trigger is decent and can be made better.  Neos is like $250'ish from some retailers.  The longer barreled models are slightly more.  I got mine barely used for $200'ish I think.

Krdshrk:

This is what I think I'm going to do... first, I'm going to let replies roll in here for a few days.

IF indeed it seems that the majority are calling BS on this "customary monthly storage fee" stuff, then I'm going to call the FFL back. I'm going to tell him: 1) that I went home and checked my notes from the original call with his employee (and there's no notation of "storage fees") which backs up my recollection, and 2) that I'm a prolific poster who shared my concerns in a large online forum and through crowd sourcing it seems like this is a highly irregular practice and I'm now being asked to share his info online --- how would he prefer to handle this?  If this is a bogus charge, I'll give him the chance to make it right.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Schrödinger's cat said:

Steve has held multiple items for me for months without any problems. 

Not to completely derail, have you thought about putting the RDS on your next gun, Glock, VP9, whatever, and focus on fundamentals. Using the sights is important, and if you learn with a red dot you may have a harder time just picking up a gun and shooting it.

Also, both of my handguns were bought used FTF from forum members and I couldn't be happier. You can always meet at the range and try it before you buy. 

Stop cheating on Steve... even after he left you with bus money the first time we met.

• Like 1

Peel,

an apology.( holy shitstorm batman)

Ok , moving on. No name? No shame.

time for a name.

No, you where marked at the door, this is not normal among the vendors here. Although , you pay up front. They are not a bank.

7 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Peel,

an apology.( holy shitstorm batman)

Ok , moving on. No name? No shame.

time for a name.

No, you where marked at the door, this is not normal among the vendors here. Although , you pay up front. They are not a bank.

What do you mean, "you pay up front"? Do you mean for the gun? The gun was paid for. I bought it online and just had it shipped to this guy as required by law (sending to a NJ FFL). I simply picked him because he was nearby and his transfer fee wasn't too bad. Little did I know...!

But NO... I'm not trashing him until I talk to him. You wanna think that's dumb or overly cautious, that's fine. I'm self-employed myself. I don't trash any small business person without an opportunity to explain themselves. I just won't do it. I'm dug in on that.

• Like 1

Just now, Mrs. Peel said:

What do you mean, "you pay up front"? Do you mean for the gun? The gun was paid for. I bought it online and just had it shipped to this guy as required by law (sending to a NJ FFL). I simply picked him because he was nearby and his transfer fee wasn't too bad. Little did I know...!

But NO... I'm not trashing him until I talk to him. You wanna think that's dumb or overly cautious, that's fine. I'm self-employed myself. I don't trash any small business person without an opportunity to explain themselves. I just won't do it. I'm dug in on that.

Well, if you're conversation doesn't achieve an amicable or desired outcome.... I'd release the hounds...

Plus we'd all like to know whom not to give our business to.

Jus sayen

• Like 1

Mrs. Peel,

Only have a second but wanted to chime in.

Congrats on the pistol! :D

Storage fee is garbage. :FLIPA: I just ordered 2 stripped Glock frames yesterday. They will be at my FFL tomorrow and I haven't even submitted my paperwork for my P2P yet. No fees.

The plate mentioned above is an excellent and cost effective way to get you what you want. If you move the RDS off the .22 you can always install an iron site back in there. I used one for a time on an Advantage Arms .22 conversion slide for my full size Glocks. It did exactly what I wanted it to do at a fraction of the cost. 

I'd keep the FFL name to yourself until you have a chance to speak with them. Give them an opportunity to make it right. If you are not satisfied after your next conversation with them, scorched earth.

• Like 2

On my Ruger MK2 Target, I have tried both the Weigland mount and the Burris Fastfire with dovetail mount.  Both work great but for different applications. The Weigland sits high and is great for a scope, the Burris with dovetail mount puts the dot at the rear site and is perfect for dot only. I still have both but currently run the Burris. 

Mrs. Peel,

I will leave the sales issues to your judgement.  Yes, Burris makes a mount that fits into the dovetail that the Fastfire 3 sight mounts to directly.  This is what I use now after using a B-Square mount that mounted to the receiver by using a squeeze type clamping mount for years.  I can recommend the Burris option, but we are talking $250 total for the mount and sight.  Jackweigand.com offers a "weig-a-tinny" mount that also mounts in the dovetail and has a picatinny rail on top.  Price around $50.  This allows you to use a RDS that needs a picatinny rail to mount and meets your requirements.  Smiths going rate for d & t the receiver is about $20/hole and three are required at a minimum.