mrg455

Anyone know values of Dom Perignon?

I have a couple bottles of Dom Perignon that I am looking for the value of. I have checked out some websites and Google but the prices seem to be all over the map.

I have a bottle of Vintage 1998. The box was opened by the Liquor store when I bought it to verify contents but the bottle is still sealed and in perfect shape. I'm not even sure the bottle has been out of the box.

The second is Vintage 2000, it is a Gift set with the bottle of Champagne and 2 crystal glasses. The shrink wrap is still and the box has never been opened.

***The attached pics are not mine, but they are identical to what I have.

Tpost-4649-0-82827400-1493337648_thumb.jpgpost-4649-0-46836400-1493337704_thumb.jpghanks.

How and where have they been stored? I have opened younger bottles of Champagne from my cellar that aged and they were crap because the cork had issues.

Regardless, try wine-searcher.com and give it the particulars. See what it comes up with.

More recently, I've given up on the big names, because I've enjoyed drinking Mumm Napa for much less.

Blindfold me and then ask me.

• Like 1

Well as long as the cork is still good and they haven't been in a hot environment for any length of time they should be OK.

If you want to spring for a few reasonable bucks try a bottle of The Widow (Veuve Clicquot). Currently in the mid $40's. I used to spring for more when I was working, but frankly my pallet doesn't deserve the expenditure. I did the blind taste tests to prove it.

One of these days I'll open the Krug on the bottom rack in the cellar.

• Like 1

As others have said storage is everything. I've had relatively new bottles of wine that went bad. At the other extreme I found a case of merlot stored in my garage cork up in the case for over 5 years. It was fine. Reds usually last longer than whites.

Realistically, either bottle would go for about $225. That's what someone in the industry told me (I'll get into that). There was a lot of brouhaha about about having Dom from the last century in the late 90s. It didn't turn out the investment people thought.

Some will pay exorbitant prices for the "image".

GRIZ - Who knew you were an oenophile too?

Leave it to Griz.... always another surprise

I consider myself knowledgeable, far from an expert or connoisseur. I know what I like. Most "connoisseurs" are more impressed with the price than the quality. They really don't possess any special taste buds. They just have money to spend. I've been criticized for not having a developed palate when discussing bourbon on this forum. I'll let you guess who that was.

I've gotten a lot of education from my daughter who's been in the liquor business for over 20 years. She does a lot of high end wine business. I've gotten to go to trade functions and get to try stuff that most of us would never buy. We'd rather spend the money on a new AR than literally piss it away.

I can count on my fingers the number of people I've met that really know wine. Yeah, maybe I'm just hanging with the wrong crowd. LMAFO. Dom rates about a 95. White Star, made by the same people rates about a 88. Most people can't tell the difference between them. I'll throw another into the mix. Domaine St Michelle made in Washington State also rates a 88 and goes for about $20 a bottle. That's like half the price of White Star.

If you like a sweet champagne try Lamarca Prosecco. Not a "champagne" as its made in Italy but its about $15 a bottle.

I just know what I like and don't spend money to impress. Kind of like why I have a couple of S&W Model 10s around.

What do you mean by all over the map? Are we talking 100s? 1000s? 

I know that unlike meaty, complex reds white wines generally don't get better with age. 

IMO if you're not desperate for cash pop the cork and enjoy on the next special occasion.

GRIZ: I'm with you on the White Star and Domaine St. Michelle. Both are tasty.

As I mentioned before, if you haven't tried Mumm Napa pick up a bottle. Usually under $20. And American made.

• Like 1

Well as long as the cork is still good and they haven't been in a hot environment for any length of time they should be OK.

If you want to spring for a few reasonable bucks try a bottle of The Widow (Veuve Clicquot). Currently in the mid $40's. I used to spring for more when I was working, but frankly my pallet doesn't deserve the expenditure. I did the blind taste tests to prove it.

One of these days I'll open the Krug on the bottom rack in the cellar.

Like I said, almost everyone can't tell the difference between a 95 and an 88. Krug is one of the few wines I've seen rate 100.

Back to experts. I love how someone claims to know wines, whiskeys, and anything with alcohol in it. I met a wine expert at a trade event. I asked him about whiskey. He said "I know nothing about whiskey. If I need to know something about that I'll ask an expert."

If you're not a reputable wine guy I doubt you'd get really any money worth you're trouble selling it. Anybody who really wants to buy great wine (even faceless on the internet) wants some sort of confidence about the provenance.

Back in the day my friends and I were "wannabe" big shots and spent way too much on appearances going out and partying at home. Needless to say, that's not the case any longer. I have a few bottles left but am only looking at these two to get rid of. I'm not in dire need for cash, but I saw a rifle I'm interested in and figure I can offset most of the price depending on what these are worth. I'm definitely not a wine guy so they bottles I'm keeping will be sufficient for me.

As far as online prices, for what looks like the same bottle of 98 depending on what site it sways from around 2 to about 6, but some of the places with prices are sold out. I haven't seen any in stock prices for the gift set.

Thanks for all your input fellas.