Sign in to follow this  
jackandjill

Taking handgun to UPS Customer Center over in NY

32 minutes ago, capt14k said:

Seriously drive the extra distance in NJ or just drop off at a UPS Store. I've done it before.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I thought UPS Store wouldn't take firearms and they need to be dropped off at UPS Corp / Customer Centers. Isnt it ? 

-----

Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

--------

7 hours ago, jackandjill said:

I thought UPS Store wouldn't take firearms and they need to be dropped off at UPS Corp / Customer Centers. Isnt it ? 

-----

Note: Firearms (including handguns) are not accepted for shipment via UPS Drop Boxes or UPS On-Call Pickup®, and may not be tendered to or dropped off at locations of The UPS Store®, any third party retailer, or any UPS Access Point™ location.

--------

I had this difficulty sending a pistol back to S&W.  Only 'special' locations take in firearms....the rest treat you like a criminal for even walking in the door.  (I will never go back to 'Goin Postal' - yes, that's their name in Atco - for that reason...)

• Like 1

You can only drop firearms off at UPS customer counters, not UPS stores. UPS stores are franchises and technically 3rd party. This policy is to ensure that a UPS employee receives the package and not the employee of a 3rd party, they are ultimately liable for it and want to limit their liability.

1 hour ago, MartyZ said:

You can only drop firearms off at UPS customer counters, not UPS stores. UPS stores are franchises and technically 3rd party. This policy is to ensure that a UPS employee receives the package and not the employee of a 3rd party, they are ultimately liable for it and want to limit their liability.

And, remember, there is usually a customer counter in each of the big "distribution center" facilities (from where the delivery trucks are loaded and dispatched). In Bergen County, the distribution center is in Seacaucus.  In Morris County, there are two... one in Parisppany and one in Mt. Olive (in the International Trade Center... Right near the Mt. Olive NJ Transit Station). That would cover most of the northern half of the state.

1 hour ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

And, remember, there is usually a customer counter in each of the big "distribution center" facilities (from where the delivery trucks are loaded and dispatched). In Bergen County, the distribution center is in Seacaucus.  In Morris County, there are two... one in Parisppany and one in Mt. Olive (in the International Trade Center... Right near the Mt. Olive NJ Transit Station). That would cover most of the northern half of the state.

You also have Saddlebrook, which covers the paramus, ramsey, and mahwah areas.

3 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

And there's one of those in the International Trade Center in Mt. Olive, along with UPS.

Whatever it takes not to go to NY.

If you are sending a firearm UPS, it should go to a customer counter, or it should be a driver pick up. 

UPS store employees aren't UPS employees usually, and they don't count as a common carrier. That means handing them the package is an unexempted transfer. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Zeke said:

It is. It's the means to get to the place of repair.

Ah, good to know. Hopefully I'll never have the need to ship any of my guns back to the manufacturer, but at least I wouldn't be risking prison to do it. This state is so screwed up. Only in NJ would it even be a question...

9 hours ago, mattm754 said:

Ah, good to know. Hopefully I'll never have the need to ship any of my guns back to the manufacturer, but at least I wouldn't be risking prison to do it. This state is so screwed up. Only in NJ would it even be a question...

The laws are bad enough. The paranoid hysteria is what the lawmakers want. They are fully aware it's unconstitutional. But they do not pick up the legal fees. We do, twice.....

Their actions have no consequence. And that should change.

13 hours ago, mattm754 said:

You should take full advantage of any warranty your manufacturer offers. I shipped few times and no big deal. UPS and Fedex centers know their rules and they dont even blink when you tell them you have to ship a firearm.  

There are million ways to get shafted in NJ, but legally shipping a firearm is the at the bottom of that pile.