Sign in to follow this  
fishnut

Youth fishing challange June 10th Califon NJ

This past weekend I got.certified to be a HOFNOD (hooked on fishing not on drugs) instructor.  As part of it on one of the two state wide free fishing days June 10th we are holding our 2nd Annual youth fishing challenge at 37 Hoffman's crossing rd Califon NJ from 11:30-3pm. Open to any children 20 and under. Last year I was just involved but this year it is my gig so I'd really appreciate any NJGF member support by bringing a kid out fishing to my pond. Also looking for a few knowledgeable fishermen who would like to volunteer their time taking fish off hooks and measuring and recording the species. http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/hofnod_ythchallenge17.htm?prompt=0 

36 minutes ago, Sharpdogs said:

How do you register for it?  My son would be interested.

I know there is a way to pre-register and I'll find out but you don't have to. You can do it at the event. 

1 hour ago, NJturtlePower said:

Sounds like fun! :good:

I plan on being there with my son who's 5-year old. 

Great! Ask for Adam and introduce yourself or wear a firearms related shirt and I'll introduced myself lol

@Sharpdogs and @NJturtlePower

Bring #8 hooks and use 4lb-6lb monofilament line or a fluorocarbon leader of the same weight. Worms and minnows will be provided! You can use a bit larger hook with the minnows. 

Species currently in the pond 

Large mouth bass, Bluegill, Crappie, large carp, a few large catfish, Rainbow trout, and hybrid strippers. 

• Like 2

Bump! I took a group of kids fishing today all 6 kids caught their first fish ever and they caught a ton more. The pond is on fire right now! We fished till we ran out of bait and then found some more. Fish were hitting on 1/2 night crawler on a #8 or #6 hook and live shiners on a #6 hook. The lighter the line the better. They caught a bunch of rainbow trout one of which was a 16" albino, some nice large mouth, a ton of bluegill and 1 huge black crappie. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NJturtlePower said:

So I see the start time is 11:30, is there a registration time or anything like that? And like you said no need to bring bait correct?

Register as you arrive at the pond it will take 2 seconds. 

Worms and minnows will be provided if you would like to use any other bait than that feel free to bring it 

• Like 1

@NJturtlePower and @Sharpdogs

Thanks for coming if you guys made it out yesterday. Sorry I was not able to meet you guys. All in all the event went well I think (after the first half hour with a snafu on upper management's end), the kids caught allot of fish even with the heat of the afternoon. 

On 6/11/2017 at 9:35 AM, fishnut said:

@NJturtlePower and @Sharpdogs

Thanks for coming if you guys made it out yesterday. Sorry I was not able to meet you guys. All in all the event went well I think (after the first half hour with a snafu on upper management's end), the kids caught allot of fish even with the heat of the afternoon. 

Yeah we were there, pretty sure I heard your name yelled across the pond a few times.  My son had a great time, caught a few large sunfish and couple nice bass too. 13 1/2" & 14 1/2" Largemouth, but we couldn't stay to the end. Tired to upload a pic but seems like I'm limited? Need more posts or what's the deal?

What was the biggest caught? I overheard at least an 18" bass at some point.