Mrs. Peel

Run for the Roses: Quick, Time to Buy the Bourbon!

Today is the Kentucky Derby, the first jewel in the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing (a.k.a. the Sport of Kings). Coverage by NBC Sports starts at 2:30, but post time isn't until 6:34 EST. So, there's ample time for you to google mint julep recipes, select one to your liking and then run out to replenish your stock of Kentucky bourbon and other ingredients. Yummers...bourbon, muddled mint... lord have mercy, what's not to like about Derby Day?

If you've never been into the ponies, check it out anyway! Not only is it a spectacle steeped in tradition, but this race arguably features some of the finest talent - in terms of horses, jockeys, and trainers - anywhere on the planet and taking place on one of the prettiest little tracks in the country. Each horse is a winner brimming with the promise of true greatness to even be competing at that level, because they have to do well in qualifying races leading up to the Kentucky Derby.

This year, I have a particular fondness for "Patch" - a 3 year-old colt so named because he lost an eye due to a mysterious infection. He drew a lousy pole position (#20) and his odds are 15 to 1. How can you not root for such an underdog? If he wins, it'll be legendary!

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, Handyman said:

Get married and have kids and you will have an excuse every day.

Married, but no kids. I work with some seriously smart people who can be incredibly stupid and child like though...

They wonder why I drink...

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Displaced Texan said:

Married, but no kids. I work with some seriously smart people who can be incredibly stupid and child like though...

They wonder why I drink...

We should collaborate....

on drinking. Lol