Maksim

Need Your Help - Research Project About Gun Stores & Ranges

Hey everyone, need your help.

For a number of years I had an idea but we never fully implemented.  

When you are researching a gun store or a range, before you go there, what type of information are you looking for?

What information do you wish was on their websites that is not already there?

What information do you NEED to have?

What information is Nice to have?  What would be awesome to have?

Thanks!

Things I look for:

Hours, fees (all including what they charge for NICS as some stores add a bit to the state fee), which brands they carry, gunbroker name and link to their listings as well as current inventory.

Edited by Maksim
edit

Their website should be complete and MUST have.

• Hours
  • Cost for transfers and NICs
  • A feedback system where customers can rate their experience.
  • Whether a Gunsmith is on premises
  • Pics of the showroom.

It would be nice to have,

• List of current inventory
  • List of sales and specials
  • Site updated often
  • list of common gunsmith charges

Must haves for a range,

• Full description and pics
  • Rules and regulations clearly defined
  • Policy regarding brass, reloads and rentals
  • I threw this together quickly but will edit as I think of more.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

Their website should be complete and MUST have.

• Hours
  • Cost for transfers and NICs
  • A feedback system where customers can rate their experience.
  • Whether a Gunsmith is on premises
  • Pics of the showroom.

It would be nice to have,

• List of current inventory
  • List of sales and specials
  • Site updated often
  • list of common gunsmith charges

Must haves for a range,

• Full description and pics
  • Rules and regulations clearly defined
  • Policy regarding brass, reloads and rentals
  • I threw this together quickly but will edit as I think of more.

Johnny,

THANK YOU.  That is exactly what I am looking for and what we attempted to do in the past.

The one thing I will say up front, I can see getting a ton of pushback on listing inventory... as you can understand some bigger stores have hundreds of guns.  

The idea is to have a resource here.... on those issues. ie a Yelp for gun stores? =)

Johnny listed most everything I thought of posting.  For a commercial range, I'd certainly be interested in the policies for keeping my brass, using reloads or factory ammo brought in from outside, and rentals (under what conditions can a shooter come in by themselves and rent--this is becoming a bigger issue of late with NJ ranges.)  Also, I'd be interested in whether or not they allow rapid fire shooting, reloads on the clock, and whether there are any circumstances under which holster work would be allowed.  I have a hunch that ranges will either want to post an outright prohibition on those activities, or remain silent, so they could determine on a case-by-case basis who is allowed to do what, but it's still a point of curiosity.

Finally, for a commercial range, I'd want to see a complete list of rentals available.   I've only gone to commercial ranges to rent guns I'm considering for purchase.  Even if the retail side of the operation can't keep up with an online inventory of what they have for sale, it shouldn't be that hard to keep a listing of what they have available to rent.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 10X said:

Johnny listed most everything I thought of posting.  For a commercial range, I'd certainly be interested in the policies for keeping my brass, using reloads or factory ammo brought in from outside, and rentals (under what conditions can a shooter come in by themselves and rent--this is becoming a bigger issue of late with NJ ranges.)  Also, I'd be interested in whether or not they allow rapid fire shooting, reloads on the clock, and whether there are any circumstances under which holster work would be allowed.

Finally, for a commercial range, I'd want to see a complete list of rentals available.   I've only gone to commercial ranges to rent guns I'm considering for purchase.  Even if the retail side of the operation can't keep up with an online inventory of what they have for sale, it shouldn't be that hard to keep a listing of what they have available to rent.

Good idea on the rentals.

For the rentals question, for most ranges I believe if you have FID you are fine.  GFH and RTSP do a good job explaining it on their websites, GFH particularly.  And as far as I understand, now an insurance issue. 

Adding to JohnnyB's list... if an FFL or gun store is small and therefore charges for monthly storage on transfers, that policy should certainly be in writing, preferably on their own website and if they don't have one, then on the other sites they advertise on (like Gunbroker, etc.) Really, ALL transactional policies should be in print.

• Like 4

For ffl: fees and accurate hours.

For range: rules. And if they have female only bathrooms. We bring Mrs. Z friends and introduce them to firearms. RAF is the closest.( I have high hopes for Legacy)

And they will have an exceptional buzz worthy time unless they have to potty. If it's a dump guy's deal with it. The ladies, it's a deterrent, and definitely a topic on the ride home. If the ranges were smert, they would aptly cater to this rising demographic.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zeke said:

For ffl: fees and accurate hours.

For range: rules. And if they have female only bathrooms. We bring Mrs. Z friends and introduce them to firearms. RAF is the closest.( I have high hopes for Legacy)

And they will have an exceptional buzz worthy time unless they have to potty. If it's a dump guy's deal with it. The ladies, it's a deterrent, and definitely a topic on the ride home. If the ranges were smert, they would aptly cater to this rising demographic.

Who doesn't have a female only BR? 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Who doesn't have a female only BR? 

RAF. Big hungry will vouch, it's a shithole.Which is my close est.

when Legacy opens( of whom I have been touch with) we will go there. 

Maks, this has been a man's games for sometime. Evolve or fossil 

I've stopped bothering even looking at most local shop's websites - they never seem to have inventory, or the rare times they do, it is almost always without prices.  I understand a small shop won't have the resources to keep things up to date, so it's not a big deal, but it would still be nice.  Most of my local shops are close enough I can do a loop and cover all 4+ in a day, and if I don't find it there (or have the option to order through one), I just go to gunbroker.

What I might suggest is a photo of the exterior of the business.  There have been places I've tried to find that were like trying to find Waldo.  Places inside other businesses should maybe mention that little fact, too.

In reading posts from other people about part-time/home-based FFLs, I'd suggest those places have either an actual list of hours, or mention their hours are random, AND have multiple ways of getting in touch with them (and actually check those damn methods).

• Like 2

Three out of the last four guns i bought were used. I found them by going to the various stores in the area and shopping the "old fashioned" way.  My point is a good on line presence with proper pictures, updated inventory and prices for used inventory will give a gun shop an edge. It's the way i shop for everything else, including new guns. Legend has the right idea here.

• Like 1

Thanks for this and already integrating these into our project.

I have spoken with a few b&m FFLs and the issue would actually be with the larger stores where they have a ton of inventory and would mean having someone else just to keep it up to date on the websites, etc.

.... BUT there is a potential solution to this however obviously can't require them to list inventory.  Shall see. Should have something to show by the end of the week.

Keep the ideas coming.

OK, how about at least say a weekly updated set of general photos of their inventory?  Most places have glass displays for handguns, and rifles...well...maybe that'll be harder.  But a cell phone camera can get each section of a display case to give people a general idea of what's there. 10-20 firearms in a single picture would still be clear enough for a quick reference.  Might even generate more interest...who knows?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Malice4you said:

OK, how about at least say a weekly updated set of general photos of their inventory?  Most places have glass displays for handguns, and rifles...well...maybe that'll be harder.  But a cell phone camera can get each section of a display case to give people a general idea of what's there. 10-20 firearms in a single picture would still be clear enough for a quick reference.  Might even generate more interest...who knows?

Any smart business would already be doing that.

The problem unfortunately is that this is NJ and just due to the difficulties of being opened, once you are, you get plenty of business just walking in.  The vast majority of the FFL websites are just plain.... bad.

Almost makes you want to start an FFL. =)

9 minutes ago, Maksim said:

Any smart business would already be doing that.

Almost makes you want to start an FFL. =)

Well maybe my lack of checking websites these last few years has made me miss that, but I haven't seen that..

I've wanted to do exactly that for a while.  I've done a bit of research on how big an uphill battle it would really be to start my own FFL...  I hope it's in my future...

so here is a little preview... starting with our vendors. Will launch as soon as I have the info from our vendors, and then we will work to fill in the rest.

detail1a.PNGdetail2a.PNG

Towards the bottom we have more info such as transfer fees and any storage fees.