Averagejoeshmo

Keeping a list of firearms

Does everyone keep a list of all their firearms? Where do you keep it? On your phone,computer,file cabinet?

I never even thought about it until today but all my paperwork is locked up in with the firearms. I will be keeping a list elsewhere just looking for ideas.

Why ?

Edit: For insurance, sure fill out their paperwork and be done with it.  

For legal, I tried lookup for a case where Cops let a real criminal go because (s)he produced a list. Or a case where an innocent was convicted because (s)he didnt keep a list.  Didnt find any.  For me, if it has come to a point of providing a list, I am already out few grand and better let that expensive lawyer do the job. 

Back when the forum started, folks found this program called Gun Safe, or something like that, which was a fairly simple database program, but was flexible enough.

Currently I keep a spreadsheet, make/model/year/distiguising features/ purchase price, serial number, dob (if known).  I then try to routeinely update the values.

Prior to that I had a more complicated sheet that even tracked from whom purchased, or sold, and gains/losses per transaction.

During routine cleaning, I take pics of them all.

Spreadsheet is cool but I will start writing in a notebook.

Either email it to yourself securely, and not to a gmail account, or keep a flash drive and a burned dvd somewhere safe.

Most important use of the sheet.... know the serials in case they get stolen.... OR.... more likely.... god forbid when you pass away, make sure your next of kin or wifey/husband/partner knows about the list.... and knows what you actually have and what the value is.... so they don't trade it in at a gun buyback!.

Depending on the strength of your tinfoil hat.... Google Drive/Microsoft and others give you free cloud storage space for one reason... so they can learn about you. (for better advertising of course).

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, djg0770 said:

Spreadsheet on a jump drive.

I did the same thing. My wife and kids don't like guns much. My Son likes to joke about having to sell them

when I am gone. Just in case I get hit by a bus, they now know exactly what is here and what it's worth.

2 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

I did the same thing. My wife and kids don't like guns much. My Son likes to joke about having to sell them

when I am gone. Just in case I get hit by a bus, they now know exactly what is here and what it's worth.

+1 it to attach the sheet or drive with a letter of instruction for disposition to your latest copy of your will. 

2 minutes ago, Maksim said:

+1 it to attach the sheet or drive with a letter of instruction for disposition to your latest copy of your will. 

That part still needs to get done.

I just used this fill able form from the ATF.https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/personal-firearms-record-atf-p-33128

I also printed everything with detailed photos. I keep no copies on any computer.

25 minutes ago, JohnnyB said:

That part still needs to get done.

I just used this fill able form from the ATF.https://www.atf.gov/firearms/docs/guide/personal-firearms-record-atf-p-33128

I also printed everything with detailed photos. I keep no copies on any computer.

That form is what brought this to mind. I hadn't even thought about it till now.

Up until a relatively short time ago, I had no records at all for most of what I have.

I relied on cameras, monitored alarm system and safes to protect me. I then thought about what if?  What if my systems failed, despite backups and my safe was compromised.What if suddenly all 3 of my guns were gone?  I could not begin to tell the police the serial #s of all 3.

That coupled with the fact that my wife and kids would have no clue of their value if I died. Just my luck they would find a thief of a gun dealer who might give them $500 for all 3 when they are really worth $600!:rolleyes:

Actually here you go guys... something I made for my clients a while ago.

PDF - http://www.maksfs.com/downloads/firearmsblank.pdf

XLS - http://www.maksfs.com/downloads/firearms.xls

And the article to go along with it. http://www.maksfs.com/make-sure-your-loved-ones-know-about-your-hidden-wealth/

• Like 2

I use myGuns app on my iPhone...

List the important things like caliber, model, serial number, date of purchase, etc... then modifications I've done to it and certain accessories (holsters, bayonets, slings). Also have pictures of all of the guns, especially if they can be converted (ARs with different uppers).

I keep it up to date mainly in case I ever have to report a gun lost/stolen. Available easily, and can forward pictures in case it is needed. Have serial numbers for scopes, so easy to say exactly what is gone, and have a very definitive way to identify it.

However, I do use it for remembering specifics about guns. If I have a certain modification, I try to be as specific as possible. As mentioned, if there is a serial number, I don't have to go find the firearm/accessory to get it. I also started putting model numbers in there for holsters... as having five different versions of the same Galco ankle holster makes it hard to figure out what gun fits it without noting the model number for the holster.

I do similar with the AmmoBase app. Have a complete list of all my ammo, purchase info, and exactly which container it is in (have ten Cabela's ammo boxes, so knowing all my .40 is in Box 7 makes it easier to grab. When you have 17,032 rounds on hand, across 24 calibers, every little bit helps. Since I started logging that, I've also kept better notes on round counts for my firearms. I used to do it in a notebook... until it met a half bottle of solvent. AmmoBase backs up to Dropbox, so not going to be an issue in the future.

Now, if someone did an app for magazines and clips (I shoot a lot of surplus rifles)... I'd be happy. That is one thing I cannot find an easy way to import into either of the apps I'm currently using.

The concept of putting every gun and every round of ammo I have in any app, any phone, any Dropbox or even on any computer ANYWHERE scares the living shit out of me!  Even though I have nothing illegal.

What I have is MY BUSINESS! No tinfoil hat here but if you think your private information is friggin safe in Dropbox, or on a cell phone app, you are sadly mistaken! NOTHING accessible via the Internet is safe or private! There is (Thank God) no mandatory registration for firearms.

I am sure as hell not going to give my info voluntarily!

I have a list printed, but it's out of date. In my closet I found a shoebox with what I thought were random gun parts. Apparently when I moved I put a stripped lower, lower parts kit, bcg, and a charging handle in the box. I completely forgot I had that lower, so I should probably update my list before I misplace other goodies.

29 minutes ago, ChrisJM981 said:

I have a list printed, but it's out of date. In my closet I found a shoebox with what I thought were random gun parts. Apparently when I moved I put a stripped lower, lower parts kit, bcg, and a charging handle in the box. I completely forgot I had that lower, so I should probably update my list before I misplace other goodies.

Sounds like you should build a new rifle...just sayin'

7 minutes ago, InFamous said:

Sounds like you should build a new rifle...just sayin'

I need a bigger safe first! I panick bought some stuff that I don't have a need for. I'm waiting until I move and have room for a proper work bench before I build anything else. I'd like to do the next one from the ground up.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

Don't worry, if they get lost or stolen the State will be able to tell you what you had.

If it's a handgun purchased on a NJ permit or if you voluntarily reqistered it.

When I had a only a few guns I kept a list of serial numbers in my wallet and at home.

I've kept an inventory on an Excel spreadsheet on my hard drive for years.  I print out a copy, email a copy to my daughters, and save a copy on my phone.

I understand why many keep P2P and COE copies.  I dont. I've never sold or bought a gun from anyone who seemed to be a questionable character.  

6 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I also used the ATF Form referenced above as a starting point to create my itemized firearms inventory document using Microsoft Word.  I have printed a paper copy and have stored electronic copies on my computer and backup removable hard drives and thumb drives.

As part of my firearms inventory document, I also added multiple photographs of each firearm and a short, (yes, can you believe it.....!), description of each firearm to accompany all of the other pertinent facts, including photocopies of the original sales receipts and NJ Pistol Purchase Permits, where applicable.

I did this originally to compliment my NRA-sponsored, dedicated firearms insurance policy and to have peace of mind that everything is documented in case something happens to me.  In that case, my family needs to know exactly what I have, as well as what modifications have been made and optional accessories have been added, in order to determine the approximate value of each firearm.  

After completing this exercise, I realized that pursuing this interest in multiple guns has gotten to be quite expensive......

My next step in this organizational process is to prepare a codicil to my Last Will & Testament that clearly states specifically whom in my extended family I want to inherit my guns and which guns may be arranged to be sold by my Executor and who should receive the net proceeds from that sale.

AVB-AMG

If you want to keep a formal list for personal reasons fine. If you live in an apartment and have apartment insurance that demands it fine. My homeowner's policy, which covers everything, does not require me to list any possessions. They asked if "$xxx" covered so-and-so without asking for itemization. There may be some reporting requirement if you're burglarized, however.

Tradtionally, For each of my firearms, I have their respective purchase documentation (purchase receipt, copy of the P2P, etc) in a 7x10 manila envelopes labeled with the firearm model and purchase date.

All the above documentation is also scanned and stored in folders on my home pc. As with all my pc data, i routinely perform backup to external hard drives and have a set always stored offsite.  (I use Novabackup to handle my backup and restore needs. All storage drives are always under my control and physically destroyed at such time they fail or are discarded. For privacy and bandwith reasons, I do not use online backup services.

For over 10 years I have also used a product called  Cyberscrub.  Excellent product that cleans up the many trails you leave behind thru the use of many programs, not just web browsers.  Note it also has a "Infinity Safe" feature in which you and store sensitive files in an encrypted form. Good secure way to store your firearms info.  Unfortunately they do not support mobile devices.

Lastly, I do use a spreadsheet to keep track of my modest ammo and magazine inventory.  Helps me keep track and highlight when I need to purchase more of a given type or caliber.  Ie when the amount on hand drops below my minimum threshold.  Will consider cleaning it up and sharing it here.

regards

13 hours ago, Maksim said:

Actually here you go guys... something I made for my clients a while ago.

PDF - http://www.maksfs.com/downloads/firearmsblank.pdf

XLS - http://www.maksfs.com/downloads/firearms.xls

And the article to go along with it. http://www.maksfs.com/make-sure-your-loved-ones-know-about-your-hidden-wealth/

I will actually redo that sheet and make it part of NJGF.... glad you found it helpful.