Golani

Shipping handguns from Florida to NJ

I know this has been covered a million times in this forum but I just don't have the time to look through all the posts.....My father in Florida wants to have me inherit his three handguns, I have a NJ FID plus a Florida CCW (if that matters at all) and my drivers license matches my FID card. Can my father simply box up the handguns and ship them up to me via FedEx or UPS to my address or should he go to a FFL in Florida and ship from there? To my address? to a FedEx location? What's the best method so I don't get arrested in this commie state.

You can't inherit them until he passes away. Presently, he will need to send them to a NJ Dealer to transfer to you on a NJ Permit for each one. That  can be done via a FL Dealer or an overnight carrier. You also will have to wait the 30 days in between acquisitions, or do the exemption forms.

Did you used to live in Florida as well?  If your Dad already gave them to you, I think you can transport them from your former residence in FL to your current residence in NJ.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, 10X said:

Did you used to live in Florida as well?  If your Dad already gave them to you, I think you can transport them from your former residence in FL to your current residence in NJ.

Only if he acquired them as a resident of Florida, otherwise FFL and permits for each handgun.

51 minutes ago, Slab Sides said:

Only if he acquired them as a resident of Florida, otherwise FFL and permits for each handgun.

I believe that his statement was a "wink wink nudge nudge" one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PK90 said:

Not really.  Somewhere in the firearm regulations is defines "resident". If he ever was a resident of FL and his father had the handguns before that, then maybe?

1. What documentation does FL require for a person-to-person transfer?

2. Did Golani ever have a Florida DL (residence)?

If the documentation was filed on a date within a range that he had a Florida DL, then he acquired the firearms while he was a FL resident, before coming to NJ.

If there is no documentation and he had a Florida DL, then ... hopefully you get the idea.

If he never had Florida residence/DL, well then SOL ...

Makes sense?

2 hours ago, PK90 said:

:)

I was just trying to jog the OP's memory as to whether the guns were his while he had a residence (including a parental residence) in Florida.  

If there is a simple, legal way to do the transfer, one needn't look at the more difficult, legal ways to accomplish the same thing.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2017 at 11:54 AM, tomk62 said:

1. What documentation does FL require for a person-to-person transfer?

2. Did Golani ever have a Florida DL (residence)?

If the documentation was filed on a date within a range that he had a Florida DL, then he acquired the firearms while he was a FL resident, before coming to NJ.

If there is no documentation and he had a Florida DL, then ... hopefully you get the idea.

If he never had Florida residence/DL, well then SOL ...

Makes sense?

Thanks guys, never even considered the transfer issues here. I actually had a DL in Florida about thirty years ago but still have the expired license (liked my picture) so maybe I can simply calm the gnd have been mine all the while since my parents have been living in Flordia since then and I needed a place to keep my firearms there....