What are you looking to do?  I built my home theater a while ago but did some component upgrades not to long ago.  I am in the process of building one at my house in FL, but still working on the components (hopefully an AMOLED big screen) and furniture.  Once I get that done I'll decide on a control system for lights and curtains.  

The home theater in my house in NJ, which I may just move it to FL, is a Marantz AV7703 preamp / processor and I use two Parasound 5x200 watt amps to power the 7 speakers.  I have two subs to make 7.2 (different frequency ranges).  The speakers or B&W and I have a Mitsubishi 1080P protector (the weak link in the setup).  I may downsize it when I move or maybe just play with less volume (I am having the sound proofed though).  I will definitely not use the projector because I want a 4k AMOLED television.

The sound quality is outstanding and I have only been to a theater twice in the last 5 or so years because watching at home is better.  

I have two rows of sofas that have three individual recliners, and arm rests with cup holders.  (necessary for drinking).  

• Like 1

Full 7.2 surround is hooked to my PC, xbox, and bluray, with a second 5.1 system hooked up to the TV and another dvd player in the same room, allowing me to use both the PC and have a movie or TV on at the same time.

Went with Definitive Technology speakers on the primary setup, a mix of their studiomonitors, bipolar speakers, center, and supercube sub. With 7x 10" in the primary system, you get a nice back massage while watching a movie or music. There are times I realize i never heard some of the details of music on my old lesser systems.  Love my DefTech speakers. 

I need (ok, want) an OLED or quantum dot to upgrade my current LCD tv

• Like 1

Where do you guys source your 4K content. Been a while. I hear Netflix has content is that true? Are you guys subscribing to 4K content like what Sony had initially introduced? Are the cable carriers offering a catalogue of this content? Just curious where it's all heading. OLED hmmmm it's main streaming now? That was fast or you guys the early adopters? I'm still chugging along with the Sony 50XBR5 that's how long it's been. LoL

Rob, I know what you mean about going to theaters - I never was a fan, especially when my system sounds infinitely better.  I'd love a bigger screen (my weak link), but I've concentrated on sound and it shows...well...sounds. 

I know some shows are available on Netflix in 4k, but you may have minimum internet speed requirements for it to play, I swore I read something about that a while back.  Wouldn't know, I don't have netflix right now.  I was watching various stuff on youtube yesterday at 4k on my PC, and whenever I get a 4K TV, it will have an alternate input from my PC.  What I was watching is beautiful on my 23" computer monitor...  I know not all that much content is available in 4k now, but I'd use it more for 4k bluray and PC gaming (and as a 2nd/3rd monitor)

One downside for when you go 4k - if you have an older receiver, it may not have 4k capabilities or only output 24/30Hz w/ 24bit color - mine does not do anything over 1080p (HDMI 1.3a) - so you'd need a new one for that too, if you want to use it for feeding multiple HDMI inputs to a single HDMI out to the TV at 4k.  Make sure you research what version of HDMI the receiver has (or if it can be upgraded) - ideally you want HDMI 2.0 (+).

• Like 1

Sooo say your girlfriend accident shatters your 4k tv.... I'm guessing it'll cost more to fix than what she already replaced it with. Big shooting target?

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I know you're mad but shooting her is a little much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Purple Patrick said:

I'm guessing it'll cost more to fix than what she already replaced it with. Big shooting target?

Not relevant to the thread, but when I was going to school in upstate NY, a local bar would set up an outside bar in the parking lot, weather permitting, to watch the NFL games.   They'd set up a TV they no doubt bought at a garage sale that week.

During the first half, they'd hold a raffle.

At halftime, the winner got to throw a brick through the TV screen while Howard Cosell was bloviating.

The young 'uns on the forum are now free to Google 'Howard Cosell'.  And possibly, 'bloviating'.

I just won a receiver at auction

Harmon kardon avr-1565

5fe33ceaeaaf347dd40fe1525ef17222.jpg

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-85A8FxOq84A/p_532AVR1565/Harman-Kardon-AVR-1565.html

It's rated at 75 watts rms per channel

My current receiver is a Sony str-dh720

ff2e723dd3ab1abb90e0a5de243453d3.jpg

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-anuDM97hkWg/p_158STDH720/Sony-STR-DH720.html

One of these is going in my kids room. I just gotta figure out which one I wanna keep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk