Tony13

Any update on Monroe ranges?

When did Ira become an owner and shot caller at Union Hill Gun Club? As far as I know he is neither and just the owner of Legend Firearms. Is he serious in this article?

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/index.ssf/2016/07/gun_safety_questions_linger_after_latest_suicide_a.html

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Just to update everyone and put an end to rumors. Union Hill Gun Club looks great and is almost complete. All they have left is flooring and to finish one track system downstairs. Which means in 2 weeks they should be able to have their final inspections. The booths upstairs are custom stained wood with all the amenities you would expect of an indoor gun range. They could possibly be open by the end of November, but I am going to say by Christmas.

Most likely final building and mechanical inspections in 2 weeks. A week after reinspections; almost no one passes on the first inspection in Monroe, especially commercial. Then add a week for engineering and another week or two for CO and paperwork. Adds up to 5-6 weeks which should be in time for Christmas break.

These are my personal opinions based on what I saw and my experience working in Monroe Township where I have built multiple single family homes and two commercial buildings.

Wooden shooting stations? Interesting 

Not like you are thinking. Custom finished stained wood dividers. The tables I believe are stainless with a padding. It is actually very nice looking. It looks a heck of a lot better than the molded fiberglass stations and they are a lot roomier. 

The rumors that corners were cut and it wouldn't be top notch from what I saw today were unfounded and based on the order in which things were done. At one point it did look like there would be plywood dividers. That is not the case. It looks a heck of a lot nicer than many ranges I have been in.

Also I know there are ownership rumors. The only owners are the Piccones. They were busting their butts there themselves today trying to get everything finished. I didn't see anyone but them working on a Saturday cleaning up the place. Legend Firearms and Roc Training are separate entities from Union Hill Gun Club.

Union Hill Gun Club

Well end of November came and went.

Spoke to town officials today and there is a new issue. If they can get it ironed out they said TCO in 2 weeks. Assuming they pass final inspections which they should since most of the issues on initial inspection were minor.

The big issue is they want the range to be 24/7, but only the downstairs with a separate entrance upstairs to be open. Problem is there is no bathroom downstairs and if the separate entrance is the only entrance open but gates are closed no handicap accessibility to range. Simple solution I would think would be install locks on offices and keep both ranges open 24/7. At a minimum 2 lanes upstairs will have to be open. Without this issue being resolved there will be no final plumbing inspection and no full opening.

Recoil

Currently plans submitted are for in essence a pole barn. In another thread the owners mentioned they are having the ventilation system designed, the ceiling plates and bullet trap designs need to be submitted as well. They are still a ways off from opening. At least a year IMO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always seems to be an issue with UHGC.

if they would have to make the upstairs available they would probably have to install additional security scanners or ID readers to the top level for member entry there. I’m assuming they only put card readers (or the technology) at the lower level if that was their original plan.

hopefully it gets worked out by the new year. Hundreds of members have paid almost 2 years in advance for This place to open.

Why are you committed to an unopened, unproven range with no track record? Plenty of alternatives where you can go now.
Because the price was a lot cheaper when memberships were first offered.

A further update while the comment was made to me that UHGC could have a TCO in 2 weeks it could be more like 6 months for a complete CO. My understanding is that would mean private members could go to the range, but no there could be no walkins and no retail activity. Which I would be fine with. Range is open. Legend Firearms stays where they are til CO is issued.

They are not allowed to have walkins at all. Part of the zoning agreement was Private Membership's Only.. This is why they got the retail approval and Recoil did not.  

Walkins meaning into Legend Firearms. Only private members would be able to use the range, no retail til CO. 

Most of the guys working in town are behind the range 100%. It comes down to 2 inspectors who are strictly by the book. Not bad guys but they don't let anything slide.

Regardless if it takes another couple weeks or months no one that paid 2 years ago can be too upset. One they offered refunds. Two Pre-Construction price was half what it is currently. Not too many couple hundred dollar investments outside of bitcoin where your money would have doubled in 2 years.

Seems there isn't a worry about it being any longer. The town is going to work with them and we should be shooting real soon.

I agree, the money for me was not an issue. 

I like that fact that it is private, has retail if I need it, and of course my proximity.

hopefully all the issues can be remedied in a timely manner, and I bet it will.

its a costly project for the owners, and I bet they need to start getting some additional revenue out of it. 

On 12/18/2017 at 11:24 PM, capt14k said:

Recoil

Currently plans submitted are for in essence a pole barn. In another thread the owners mentioned they are having the ventilation system designed, the ceiling plates and bullet trap designs need to be submitted as well. They are still a ways off from opening. At least a year IMO.

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but NONE of what you said is true. The plans submitted are not for a pole barn as it is a block building. The ventilation system, ceiling plates, and bullet trap are already designed, and we do not expect this to take a year.

Please refrain from giving everyone a false update on our range. 

IMG_3368.JPG

I'm not sure where you are getting your information, but NONE of what you said is true. The plans submitted are not for a pole barn as it is a block building. The ventilation system, ceiling plates, and bullet trap are already designed, and we do not expect this to take a year. Please refrain from giving everyone a false update on our range.   

Wording in essence was key. Yes it is a block building. I think that was obvious based on other pictures. I guess I could have used another term meaning the other designs werent submitted and approved. A year was meant opening timeframe not the amount of time it would take to have plans approved. If opening happens before a year I will be impressed. Good Luck with the project wasn't actually meant to be disparaging, just realistic based on NJ construction timeframes.

I agree, the money for me was not an issue. 
I like that fact that it is private, has retail if I need it, and of course my proximity.
hopefully all the issues can be remedied in a timely manner, and I bet it will.
its a costly project for the owners, and I bet they need to start getting some additional revenue out of it. 

Yes they have put a large sum out of pocket and have been busting their butts to get it done. It is one of the nicer indoor ranges. It certainly beats the old Brick Armory

Just got an email UHGC has set an official opening date of Feb 3 2018. In the interm they are going to have members come in and get their credentials and get registered into the system.

Fantastic.

cant wait to take a tour, get my credentials and meet other good 2A people. 

I think you will be happy. Lanes upstairs are 75' and there are at least a half dozen. Then downstairs 3 rooms of lanes each with at least half a dozen lanes that are 135'. Great lighting, top notch ventilation system. Upstairs also has a large lounge area with big comfy couches. In addition to a classroom for classes.

The fact that Recoil range is not accepting  pre construction membership fees proves to me their more legit and not looking to play with other peoples money. I think it's total BS that so many people prepaid for UHGC and were strung along for almost 4 years. First they hit a high water table so now the whole building had to be raised, then they go from propane to natural gas heat because they didn't know there was a natural gas line available. These are legitimate reasons but, who surveyed this property before building started. You can't even build a patio or a pool behind a residence in this state without PSE&G approves digging. Sources tell me the range will operate in the red for at least 3 or 4 years but, that's the range end of it, while some will profit handily. 

The fact that Recoil range is not accepting  pre construction membership fees proves to me their more legit and not looking to play with other peoples money. I think it's total BS that so many people prepaid for UHGC and were strung along for almost 4 years. First they hit a high water table so now the whole building had to be raised, then they go from propane to natural gas heat because they didn't know there was a natural gas line available. These are legitimate reasons but, who surveyed this property before building started. You can't even build a patio or a pool behind a residence in this state without PSE&G approves digging. Sources tell me the range will operate in the red for at least 3 or 4 years but, that's the range end of it, while some will profit handily. 

More legit? How is either not legit?  

As for the gas line issue you obviously don't have all the facts. Monroe is serviced by PSE&G and is in Middlesex County. They would not extend gas service to the location. It came to light after construction that NJNG had a gas line that was much closer. However NJNG services Manalapan which is in Monmouth County. They were able to get exemptions to be provided gas service by NJNG. Do you think that is a quick process?   

In addition to the water table and gas service there is a bridge and a road that was recently redone right at the entrance to the range. That is a whole other issue in itself. Also the property not only is right on the border of two towns it is two counties and it is a county road I believe known as CR2. That is a lot of planning boards to deal with, engineers and attorneys as well. Luckily they didn't need Manalapan planning approval.

What kind of scam do you think they could possibly be running? Do you think the 1500 memberships they sold even came close to funding the construction?

I can only speak for what I know about the range and the family building it. They seem to be good hard working people to me. The other businesses leasing space I don't know as much about.