Vista Outdooris getting pummelled after poor results and providing bad future guidance.  In essence, they see slowing gun and accessories sales. 

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/vista-outdoor-profit-and-sales-tumble-on-slumping-demand-for-guns-and-ammunition-2017-05-11

For the vendors, have you seen it hit yet?  I wrote about it on Seeking Alpha in the beginning of the year, but one of the articles was a little too edgy and not published. oops.  This one was published however. 

https://seekingalpha.com/article/4041210-shot-show-2017-warning-shot-across-bow

• Like 1

It depends on the midterm if this will be 2 or 4 year slump. 

The industry is gradually shifting to the female market, but the community is lagging behind that aspect.

As an individual, the only thing I'm currently " pressured " to buy is ammunition.

Good read! 

26 minutes ago, Zeke said:

It depends on the midterm if this will be 2 or 4 year slump. 

The industry is gradually shifting to the female market, but the community is lagging behind that aspect.

As an individual, the only thing I'm currently " pressured " to buy is ammunition.

Good read! 

Which one? =)  My article or the news one?

My over the counter sales are down 50%, but transfers are up 100%. Distributors are calling everyday with deals, but it is hard to compete with the big online retailers dumping their stuff below wholesale.

• Like 1

I do have third hand information that P2Ps through the Augusta barracks are now down to around 30 days. If that's true I've never seen it since 2010. That would seem to indicate a drop in demand.

Instead of a "Slowdown" I'd call it "saturation".  The Poor can't afford them.  Middle class bought a ton the last 8 years under the previous POTUS.  Now we have to wait for brand new gun owners buying their first guns since everyone I rub elbows with already has what they need (with obvious exceptions).  Yes, there are collectors still buying and speculating.  But there comes a point when you simply run out of a customer base that's qualified to buy.  And then you have the effects of the ACA kicking-in too.  Folks need a good paying job and healthcare benefits paid for before they buy their 15th hand gun :)  .  There's only "so much" water in the well........

Women continue to explore and purchase.  They're the fastest growing segment of the market. 

• Like 1

What i have noticed along with a few dealers i speak to daily is.

Rifles slowed down after election day but sales are still pretty descent , Pistols picked up which covered the rifle slowdown.   We expect a slowdown this summer as permits will be running out.

It comes down to this... people applied for permits before the election. they have them now and
want to use them...

We have noticed a more transfers coming in as well due to companies trying to dump inventory because they overstocked due to mis-judging the election results.

My plan for the summer slowdown is to continue to offer firearms while offering day care. :)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Smokin .50 said:

Women continue to explore and purchase.  They're the fastest growing segment of the market. 

Excellent point.. we have seem more women then before..

Also it depends on the area you are located in, I'm bless that a good percentage of my customers are loyal and have disposable income. I never took advantage of them even when AR prices doubled and Handguns were hard to find....I reap the benefits now.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, remixer said:

Excellent point.. we have seem more women then before..

Also it depends on the area you are located in, I'm bless that a good percentage of my customers are loyal and have disposable income. I never took advantage of them even when AR prices doubled and Handguns were hard to find....I reap the benefits now.

We will do business eventually.

i like my Lgs. But you're reputation precedes you...

i wonder if this slowdown correlates with the " prepper " market. I would venture to guess it's not showing the same signs.

6 minutes ago, Zeke said:

We will do business eventually.

i like my Lgs. But you're reputation precedes you...

i wonder if this slowdown correlates with the " prepper " market. I would venture to guess it's not showing the same signs.

The prepper market is more of a lifestyle so it might not be affected.

if you ever come down ill arrange a beer summit with you and Capt14 :)

Recently at the Ft Lauderdale War Memorial Auditorium Gun Show which is one of the largest in the State. Compared to the pre-election one I was at attendance was down at least 40%. One of my buds owns a gun store and pawn shop here. He told me that handgun sales were doing much better than rifle sales and told me the same thing in Nov. Overall sales of new handguns  were down but used guns compared to new at the show were up.

Absolutely incidentally right after Trump's election I just cannot stop getting big 4 digits unexpected invoices left and right - doctors who sent invoices with absolutely random numbers, got on the wrong side with IRS etc. Made me question desire to get black rifle, and another handgun. Also I do not see sales on what I want...

I used to get a gun or two per year. Now I can probably afford it but I do not see myself spending much money on guns anymore.

2 hours ago, CageFighter said:

maybe Vista Outdoors is being punished for the snowflake name change!

They were spun off, so had to get a new name.

I think you are confusing Vista with Smith Wesson name change to America Outdoor Brands, which is such a stupid freaking name.