I just moved (within same town) and went online to update my DL.  Apparently NJ MVC no longer sends the stickers to place on the back of your DL to show you updated their records.  They sent me a PDF that I can print to show it was done.  I know this ins't an issue if I get pulled over as they'll look on their car computer (or the dispatcher will) and see the updated address.  I am going to apply for an updated FID to stay compliant with the law.  My question is, if I go to make a purchase (after receiving my updated FID) and my DL and FID have to match on addresses, can I just show them the letter from MVC that I've changed my address or do I actually have to go to MVC and get a new DL which I am sure will then say duplicate or something on it?

10 minutes ago, Krdshrk said:

My township asked for the PDF - I couldn't produce it so I had to go to the MVC to redo my license with the correct address.  it was a huge PITA.  I had to give back my old DL and they did a duplicate.  Doesn't say dupe on it.

When I did a "change of address" with the DMV (I changed from my PO box address to my street address), they sent me a sticker label I put on the back of the original DL.  So the correct address would be there and would match the FPID.  That was only for less than 1 year. In Feb. of the following year, I then went for the regular renewal of my DL, which had the street address on it, matching the FPID. 

1 minute ago, Krdshrk said:

They stopped sending the stickers - I renewed my license back in October 2015 and then sold my condo in December 2015... Changed my address right after - they stopped sending stickers already by Jan last year.

I must have just snuck in, then.  My change of address happened in late 2013.   By Feb. of 2014 it was time to renew, anyway.

I went through this recently and the letter the DMV gives you isn't good enough to get your FPID. I was told the address has to be on the license, and since there is no sticker anymore u have to get a new one. Even the cop I spoke with was dumbfounded and apologized.

I had the same issue when applying for my FPID. None of the cops seemed to know that the sticker system had been stopped. A few were acting like I was making it up. Finally one officer said even if what I was said was true, is the hassle worth the cost of a dupe license? I went ahead and got the new one.

jtd771 should not have any problem once he gets his new FID. See below, taken from ATF's website.
My post office box, which is my legal/mailing address, has been on my DL since 1983. Since then I've bought dozens of guns without any problems.

18 U.S.C. 922(t)(1)(C): IDENTIFICATION OF TRANSFEREE
27 CFR 178.124: FIREARMS TRANSACTION RECORD
Licensees may accept a combination of valid government-issued documents to satisfy the identification document requirements of the Brady Act. The required valid government-issued photo identification document bearing the name, photograph, and date of birth of the transferee may be supplemented by another valid, government-issued document showing the transferee's residence address. A member of the Armed Forces on active duty is a resident of the State in which his or her permanent duty station is located, and may satisfy the identification document requirement by presenting his or her military identification card along with official orders showing that his or her permanent duty station is within the State where the licensed premises are located.
ATF Ruling 79-7 is superseded.
ATF Rul. 2001-5
The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms (ATF) has received numerous inquiries from Federal firearms licensees (FFLs) regarding the acceptance of identification documents that do not show the purchaser's current residence address. FFLs have asked whether they may accept other documents, such as tax bills or vehicle registration documents, to establish the current residence address of the purchaser.
It has been ATF's longstanding position that licensees may accept a combination of documents to establish the identity of a firearm purchaser. ATF Rul. 79-7, ATFQB 79-1, 26, interpreted a licensee's obligation to obtain satisfactory identification from a purchaser in the manner customarily used in commercial transactions, pursuant to the existing regulations under the Gun Control Act of 1968 (GCA). The ruling held that satisfactory identification of a firearms purchaser must include the purchaser's name, age or date of birth, place of residence, and signature. The ruling also held that while a particular document may not be sufficient to meet the statutory requirement for identifying the purchaser, any combination of documents that together disclosed the required information would be acceptable

• Like 1