NJturtlePower

Springfield XD MOD.2 5″ TACTICAL 9MM Anybody?

So now that I got the drama of my 9-week wait for my FID + PP  out of the way it's research and 1st gun time! 

The #1 on my list right now is the Springfield Armory XD Mod.2 5" Tactical model in 9mm. Anybody own or have shot one? Obviously this will only be a range non-carry gun, so I think it would make a good start to the hobby.

Would love to hear personal feedback as my opinion and direction so far is based on online pro reviews as well as YouTube videos.

Here's the official product page: CLICK HERE

Prices online are in the $500 range, available in all black or SS slide, 9mm 10-rd mags for the NJ compliant versions. Model numbers are XDG9401B (Black) XDG9401S (Stainless).

Currently through the Springfield Promo you can get 4 Free Mags / Double Mag Pouch & Holster with ANY Springfield 9mm, 40S&W or 45ACP purchase.

Promo Details: HERE

Anyways just putting feelers out there...Thanks Guys! :good:

Springfield XDG9401S web.jpg

2 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

I've shot one and it's a nice pistol. The deal sounds good as well. Have fun!

I would avoid any and all Springfield Armory and RRA products.   Buy a Glock

Is there any other gun manufacturer that you guys didn't mention?

FWIW, I'm too was looking for a _new_ range toy in 5". here is my list:

1. S&W M&P9 v2.0 5"

2. Glock 34 

3. Walter PPQ Q5

4. SA XD mod 2 5"

5. CZ 75 Shadow ??

6. SIG P320

From trying these in the store (not shooting) I find S&W v2.0 most favorable along with CZ - i understand they are different guns :). I had high expectation for XD but S&W sits better in _my_ hand. 

Just my 2 cents 

• Like 1

I have one of these. It is a very nice 9mm but I am upset with Springfield due to the position they recently took regarding a bill and will not be buying any of their guns in the future  In fact, I recently decided to replace it with a Walther, which fits my hand better and put it on consignment in Fl. You need to try several 9mm before you pick that which is best for your hand and the type of shooting you want to do. There are several good 9mm on the market. Also check to for sale on the forum as you may find something you like.

• Like 1

Thanks for the input all, and you're right about keeping my options open.

The Springfield politics are the least of my concern really, I just want a good full-size range gun.

The Pros that really drew me to the XD Mod.2 Tactical in order of importance was Price, Features, Reviews, Promo & Aesthetic Options (Black/SS).

Honestly I've had other 5" guns in mind and under research including the S&W M&P9 Pro (Model 178048) and the Walther PPQ M2 9mm 5" (Model 279609). Both of these are a bit more money ($75-100) than the XD Mod.2, but with that seems to come a bit more refinement and quality.

Out of all three guns the Walther PPQ has some big advantages/Pros

• Proven Quality, Reliability and Accuracy
  • Amazing Trigger
  • Capacity out of the box w/ 15-Round Mags (2)
  • Interchangeable Backstraps (3) (M&P9 Pro same)
  • Moulded/Contoured Grip
  • Most Compact 5" Gun - 8.1" Overall Length
  • Lightest 5" Gun- 26oz.
  • Looks the Best!

My Cons for the PPQ:

• Cost
  • Plastic 3-Dot Sights

Right now I feel like just calling it a day, scratching up the extra cash and settling on the Walther PPQ M2 (and change the sights later) as I don't think anyone would disagree is an all around GREAT 9mm gun. Always did like it, I just told myself I wanted to keep my 1st gun UNDER $500. But damn that 5" PPQ has some unique killer looks with the drilled ports (cosmetic & weight saving) on the front of the slide! :triniti:

PPQ M2 Product Page

ppqm2-angled.jpg.22117cd4b73d10cda368fd4e063c2aad.jpg

7 hours ago, Matroskin said:

Is there any other gun manufacturer that you guys didn't mention?

FWIW, I'm too was looking for a _new_ range toy in 5". here is my list:

1. S&W M&P9 v2.0 5"

2. Glock 34 

3. Walter PPQ Q5

4. SA XD mod 2 5"

5. CZ 75 Shadow ??

6. SIG P320

From trying these in the store (not shooting) I find S&W v2.0 most favorable along with CZ - i understand they are different guns :). I had high expectation for XD but S&W sits better in _my_ hand. 

Just my 2 cents 

S&W M&P9 Pro (Model 178048) 

Walther PPQ M2 5" (Model 279609)

I own the XD Mod.2 5" tactical.

Here is the thread I started with mine:

Looking at XD Mod.2 Tactical (5") 9mm

I shot mine last night actually.  I REALLY like this pistol, it fits my hand very well, I have small hands and even thought this doesn't have interchangeable back straps, the grip fits me really well.

Build quality is pretty good from what I can tell, gun is solid.

The trigger is OK, nothing great, long take up, but kinda crisp break.  This can be fixed with a Powder River Precision drop in trigger.

Accuracy:  This gun is great for me.  I shot better with this than my M&P, maybe it's the longer sight radius or the grip, but i have better groups, your mileage may vary.

Let me know if you have any questions

-Craig

• Like 1

I only own an older XD but have shot the new XDs at Shot Show and other ranges.

The XDs do tend to soak up higher power rounds quite well and are pretty reliable.

The only issue which is a total matter of preference, I am not a fan of the squishy XD trigger feel.

On 5/12/2017 at 11:17 AM, NJturtlePower said:

The Springfield politics are the least of my concern really, I just want a good full-size range gun.

FWIW, SA has released a new video on their Facebook page related to this issue, it may matter to some folks ...

• Like 1