Lucky Bullseye

Good Starter 3- Gun Rifle

Any Ar15 that imitates a Stag 3G. Easiest way to explain it.

18" barrel w/rifle gas system

15" hanguard

Stock, grip, optic your choice. Optic could be iron, rds, or low power (up to 6X) fixed or variable.

Running a carbine style AR15 would work, just limited in certain areas but not a deal breaker.

OK. I suspect there will be oodles of... well not stupid, but not really helpful information. 

The reality is unless you are going to drop some decent cash on traveling to matches. Almost everything local can be shot with anything with a decent barrel and a red dot fairly well. Really the only details that might matter is that the barrel has to not be a piece of shit and be able to shoot whatever crap bulk ammo you are going to buy, and that a longer free float tube is really useful for not causing barrel deflection when bracing from a position.  And you probably want a decent comp. 

In then end I told you basically nothing. Mainly because nobody is selling something like that geared to the NJ market. It's also why pretty much everything you see at a match is going to be a franken gun. Because you either just build it yourself, or you mangle the entry level gun you bought to make it what you want. 

• Like 1

Im one of those with expensive 3gun rifles, and mostly it doesn't matter, specially in NJ and when you are starting out.  Have a semi-auto rifle that will hold 2-3 MOA at 100 yards, preferably with a free floated handguard so when you rest it on things you don't shift to far off your zero. 

Everything else it is nice to have, but you will figure out what you want later as rifles tend to be a personal thing. If you want a scope pick up one of the cheaper 1-6 Vortex scopes. Comps are good to have, but people differ on what is good, a $40 Miculek comp will go a long way. Good triggers also matter but again .. a very personal choice, shoot whatever you have until you learn what you like.  

• Like 1

It's highly personal, do you currently have anything that will work?

I started running what I had, which was a 14.5" middy build with an aimpoint.  I shot matches up to 300 yards with it and didn't feel held back by it much at all.  After a year was under my belt, I knew what I wanted and built something that suited my desires.  I would just shoot what you have an keep your eyes and ears open at matches and then you can really feel what you want.

Also what division do you want to shoot?

18423179_1109003189245327_5951270563494026318_o.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Lucky Bullseye said:

If I could stay between 900-1100.

If you build it yourself, you have a ton of options as long as you go with a red dot rather than a 1-4 or 1-6 scope. 

I am just getting into this myself and shot my first 3-gun match in Old Bridge on April 23.  There are a few ways you can go here: 

• Do you already have one?  If you do it's probably best to just start with that.  
  • If you don't, you may want to consider something relatively inexpensive.  Of course you can spend more now and get several competition level upgrades but then a year or more later decide that you wished you had something else.

At first, until you get some good experience, your equipment won't be what's holding you back.

• Like 1

On 5/15/2017 at 1:46 PM, glennp said:

It's highly personal, do you currently have anything that will work?

I started running what I had, which was a 14.5" middy build with an aimpoint.  I shot matches up to 300 yards with it and didn't feel held back by it much at all.  After a year was under my belt, I knew what I wanted and built something that suited my desires.  I would just shoot what you have an keep your eyes and ears open at matches and then you can really feel what you want.

Also what division do you want to shoot?

18423179_1109003189245327_5951270563494026318_o.jpg

I am gone for a bit and Glenn shoots matches?  Gamer matches out of all things.