GramGun79

Reloading Help

Can anyone give me some tips on reloading? I just purchased a lever gun in 45-70 and shoot a lot of 308 so i think its time to start making my own. I was always hesitant to start but now i feel i need a new hobby lol and saving some money won't hurt either especially that some 45-70 can cost upwards to $3-4 per round.

Where do i start? What should i read, watch? What kind of equipment should i go with if i want to expand to other calibers in the future? 

MArlin.jpg.7646c6c10bbe7785a72bbcdde2a18eb3.jpg 

Wow there will be a diversity of opinions from start slow to buy once cry once. I'm part of the latter crowd but it's really up to your wallet.  

Happy to chat on the phone to walk you through the process.  However, there is plenty of reading and videos you can start with.  Education, research and care are all very important when reloading to avoid accidents.   

I have a progresive Dillon 650 and an old RCBS rock chucker that I use for single stage work, mostly rifle for better quality rounds.  

I'll mention again care, quality control, focus and patience.  Didn't I mention pay attention?  Ok if I didn't pay attention to the process :)   

You'll find it rewarding and time enjoying the hobby when you aren't at the range.  

There's a dedicated reloading section. I'm sure a mod will relocate this. 

• Like 1

Lesson #1.  You will not save money by reloading.... in fact you will be shooting more and spending more.  You will however save money per round. =)

Pistol? Rifle?

Eventually most folks end up getting a progressive in the color of your choice, Hornady Red, Dillon Blue, etc.  I personally have a Hornady Lock n Load AP and quite happy with it.

A fully progressive may be overkill for someone doing just rifle and there are more things you need to watch for as everything happens at nearly the same time.

One idea is to go with a turret press, like the Lee Classic turret that will give you an in between option, faster than single stage, but still easier control as you are working on one round at a time.  

Buy a reloading manual.

Hornady and Lee are both good ones to start with. Nosler, Sierra and Lyman are also very good. Use it as a reference guide for correct procedure in addition to the load data within. Also, Youtube is your friend.

If I were you, I would start with a single stage "kit" from and get comfortable with it first.

• Like 2

Don't go with a progressive No no no

"O" type press like a Rockchucker etc. they sell kits. You'll need leverage for resizing. You have two relatively easy cartridges to work with. Read. Go slow and understand what you are doing and why.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Single Stage press and start with the 45-70.  It's a straight walled cartridge easier to begin with,  Bottle necks can be rough to learn on.  Cabelas has 15% off all Hornady reloading for Memorial Day.

• Like 2

Trust me you will start with single stage and end up with progressive. It's an addiction.

My new dillon 650 just finished setting up 223 i also purchased the shell feeder. I am only doing rifle on the 650 as i have had a dillon square deal since 1987 and have all my handgun calibers for it.

dillon650.mp4

• Like 2

On 5/25/2017 at 0:54 PM, JackDaWack said:

I heard really good things about the updated Hornady single stage. I started on a progressive and still want the single stage for more precision loading 

I'm in the same boat. I started with a RCBS progressive and would like to add a Rock Chucker to the bench.

On May 15, 2017 at 6:36 PM, GramGun79 said:

Thanks for the help guys. I think single stage is the way to go. Il will def reach out to you again once i get going for some help along the way. Should be fun!

When you are ready contact me thru PM -- before you buy anything -- I'm in Middlesex -- 3 minutes from your deli

I have been reloading for over 20 years -- Have a rock chucker, Dillon 650 and a Hornady LNL progressive all on the bench next to each other -- Come over, pull the handle on all the presses.

I'm a firm believer on starting with a rock chucker -- Learn the process before you learn a progressive press -- if you decide later on that a progressive is a must the rock chucker will never go to waste -- every reloader should have a single stage press for  whatever may arise that you need to do just once...

When you are ready contact me thru PM -- before you buy anything -- I'm in Middlesex -- 3 minutes from your deli
I have been reloading for over 20 years -- Have a rock chucker, Dillon 650 and a Hornady LNL progressive all on the bench next to each other -- Come over, pull the handle on all the presses.
I'm a firm believer on starting with a rock chucker -- Learn the process before you learn a progressive press -- if you decide later on that a progressive is a must the rock chucker will never go to waste -- every reloader should have a single stage press for  whatever may arise that you need to do just once...

Thank you for the offer. I will definitely reach out once I'm ready to set up my bench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk