BobA

Swapping Evil parts

I have the opportunity from my son to be gifted a Windham AR model XM15-E2S.  It now resides in Maine.  A sate where common sense in these issues prevail.  Currently this rifle has all the equipment on it that might make my a terrorist, school shooter or puppy kicker according to our laws here in NJ.  I'm looking to change out the upper to eliminate the 20" barrel, flash suppressor and evil bayonet mount.   I'm looking at the Windham upper part number UR16M4LHPBB (  https://shop./collections/upper-receiver-assemblies/products/ur16m4lhpbb ).  I've emailed Windham with my question and have not yet had a response.  My questions are these:  Is this item a "bolt on swap" to the rifle? Will it fit without issues or modifications?  Is it plug and play as in ready to fire once mounted? 

I'm going up shortly after Labor day so I'd like to get it in time to bring and make this rifle allowable to send through a NJ FFL so all our citizens will stay safe and secure.

Sorry for all the sarcasm but this stuff....well you know. 

Have it sent to a jersey dealer that will pin a brake and shave the lug. You will save a lot of $$. 

I don't know where you live, but off the top of my head I believe Monmouth arms and rtsp do this work.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Vicious said:

Have it sent to a jersey dealer that will pin a brake and shave the lug. You will save a lot of $$. 

I don't know where you live, but off the top of my head I believe Monmouth arms and rtsp do this work.

what he said. Make sure the stock is fixed too. Isnt that model a Bushmaster?

Grind off the bayonet lug yourself, buy a proper brake, and have the brake attached by a competent person. Mail the upper to NJ, do the work, then take the lower via a FFL

Better yet, have the work done in Maine before it is shipped to NJ so it never gets entered in the FFL's book as an "assault weapon" that requires compliance work.

Conpliance work = slapping a new NJ compliant upper on it or making the current upper NJ compliant (perm attaching a brake/comp, removing bayo lug) before shipping.

Edited by High Exposure

7 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Better yet, have the work done in Maine before it is shipped to NJ so it never gets entered in the FFL's book as an "assault weapon" that requires compliance work.

I was going to switch the upper in Maine this Memorial day.  Everything mentioned are good options and not off the table.  But he was hoping on having the original upper for resale.  I guess I can't really blame him.  He's giving up the rest to me for free.  So does anyone know if this part swap can happen?

31 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I think if "plan A" doesn't work it'll be Siderman's suggestion.  Thanks!

1 hour ago, BobA said:

I think if "plan A" doesn't work it'll be Siderman's suggestion.  Thanks!

actually i was agreeing with someone else but was going to suggest earlier before I got distracted what HE touched on. After thinking a bit if it were me I would take possession up there& look into options of bringing it home my self and leaving a NJ ffl out of the picture all together.

25 minutes ago, siderman said:

actually i was agreeing with someone else but was going to suggest earlier before I got distracted what HE touched on. After thinking a bit if it were me I would take possession up there& look into options of bringing it home my self and leaving a NJ ffl out of the picture all together.

I agree to this.  

I'm pretty sure that on an interstate transfer, the firearm has to go through a FFL at the receiver's end. You can't just drive to Maine, take control of the rifle, and drive home.

If it comes into a Jersey FFL as a non-compliant rifle, it is classified as an "Assault Weapon" and has to be logged into their book along with the name of the purchaser prior to completing the compliance work.

If it comes in to the FFL in NJ as a fully complaint rifle, no entry needs to be made and nothing other than a COE, payment of whatever transfer fee, and a NICS check is completed at pick up.

For many people, the second method is preferable to the first - understandably so.

I am sure one of our FFL members will come by and set it straight.

3 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I'm pretty sure that on an interstate transfer, the firearm has to go through a FFL at the receiver's end. You can't just drive to Maine, take control of the rifle, and drive home.

If it comes into a Jersey FFL as a non-compliant rifle, it is classified as an "Assault Weapon" and has to be logged into their book along with the name of the purchaser prior to completing the compliance work.

If it comes in to the FFL in NJ as a fully complaint rifle, no entry needs to be made and nothing other than a COE, payment of whatever transfer fee, and a NICS check is completed at pick up.

For many people, the second method is preferable to the first - understandably so.

I am sure one of our FFL members will come by and set it straight.

the (compliant) transfer can take place thru a Maine FFL because its a long gun, handguns need to go thru a NJ FFL. Also- why would you think the compliant gun would not get booked? Dont all transactions get logged in? I know my compliant Sport got booked, in fact some dealers have been instructed to keep a 3rd book just for "black rifles" per a thread here a few yrs back. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Conpliance work = slapping a new NJ compliant upper on it or making the current upper NJ compliant (perm attaching a brake/comp, removing bayo lug) before shipping.

Assault Weapon Book?   I dont have one and never needed to use one.

If a non compliant firearm comes in we make it compliant immediately before it hits the book

12 hours ago, High Exposure said:

I

He can take possession in Maine if he takes it to an FFL with the owner and transfers it that way

As i said before... The assault weapons book statement is incorrect.  If a m1 Carbine came in then we would have to log into an assault weapons book. Which means i would have to get a new book since we have no AW book :)

12 hours ago, silverado427 said:

THE ONLY EVIL THINGS I WOULD CHANGE IS OUR SCUM BAG POLITICIANS. :)

THIS IS TRUE!

21 hours ago, BobA said:

I have the opportunity from my son to be gifted a Windham AR model XM15-E2S.  It now resides in Maine.  A sate where common sense in these issues prevail.  Currently this rifle has all the equipment on it that might make my a terrorist, school shooter or puppy kicker according to our laws here in NJ.  I'm looking to change out the upper to eliminate the 20" barrel, flash suppressor and evil bayonet mount.   I'm looking at the Windham upper part number UR16M4LHPBB (  https://shop./collections/upper-receiver-assemblies/products/ur16m4lhpbb ).  I've emailed Windham with my question and have not yet had a response.  My questions are these:  Is this item a "bolt on swap" to the rifle? Will it fit without issues or modifications?  Is it plug and play as in ready to fire once mounted? 

I'm going up shortly after Labor day so I'd like to get it in time to bring and make this rifle allowable to send through a NJ FFL so all our citizens will stay safe and secure.

Sorry for all the sarcasm but this stuff....well you know. 

I dont know if Windham sells compliant upper only... If you want it done from the factory i'm sure they can special order one for you..   Or you can just send the rifle to us for compliance work.

• Like 1

Pretty sure windham has NJ compliant uppers, but like mentioned above it'll only add to the cost.  I'd keep that 20" barrel too...  love the look of full sized ARs with an A2 stock.  Rifle length gas system + A2 buffer = buttery smooth shooting with zero recoil whatsoever

Steve can take great care of you on this

• Like 1

9 hours ago, remixer said:

Assault Weapon Book?   I dont have one and never needed to use one.

If a non compliant firearm comes in we make it compliant immediately before it hits the book

He can take possession in Maine if he takes it to an FFL with the owner and transfers it that way

As i said before... The assault weapons book statement is incorrect.  If a m1 Carbine came in then we would have to log into an assault weapons book. Which means i would have to get a new book since we have no AW book :)

THIS IS TRUE!

I dont know if Windham sells compliant upper only... If you want it done from the factory i'm sure they can special order one for you..   Or you can just send the rifle to us for compliance work.

They do. And for that exact gun too.  They just got back to me today and said it will snap on without issue.  Also the feed back from FFLs up there is private sales have to go FFL to FFL.  If it were up to me I'd just throw it in the trunk and drive home.  But he wants to feel good about doing the right thing.  The overall price of the piece is still a good one. 

7 hours ago, fatty said:

Pretty sure windham has NJ compliant uppers, but like mentioned above it'll only add to the cost.  I'd keep that 20" barrel too...  love the look of full sized ARs with an A2 stock.  Rifle length gas system + A2 buffer = buttery smooth shooting with zero recoil whatsoever

Steve can take great care of you on this

I agree.  The 20" and the solid stock is mostly what attracted it to me.  And I'll still have that barrel. 

Hmmm, that private sales needing FFL to FFL contradicts the sticky we have in our forum law section:

2. Long gun purchases by

....A. NJ resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = face to face with a FPID, COE with Photo ID suggested

........(3) Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(4) Out-of-state resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

....B. Non-resident from

........(1) NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID

........(2) NJ resident = must be transferred through

............a. NJ dealer = NICS check with a FPID, COE and Photo ID or

............b. Out-of-state dealer = consult buyer's home state laws

Maybe I'm reading it wrong but looks like to me a out of state dealer can facilitate the transfer. Whatever, its a good deal!

Although the Maine FFL can sell an AR15 to you, they may not. Many out of state FFLs are leery of dealing with Occupied states and don't want to get caught up. Plenty of FFLs interpret laws incorrectly and refuse to sell people firearms. 

I'd buy the lower only through an FFL and deal with the upper seperately.

Let me add to the confusion.....

How about when we do mail order and order both the complete upper and lower separately? The upper will get shipped to any NJ residence. The lower gets shipped to a FFL to be transferred to the owner. Can't the AR be separated and treated as such? The AR is not a complete rifle until the upper is paired with the lower. To keep it legal and cheap couldn't OP just pick up the upper and drive it home while the SERIALIZED lower gets shipped to the NJ FFL? Even if the upper is not fully compliant that only becomes the issue after the two parts are put together. As the previous posters stated just have the compliance work done on the upper and then once compliant transfer the lower to yourself and shoot the crap out of it. Possession of the non compliant upper will still be an issue even if you purchased a compliant upper to pair with your lower. 

If I stated anything wrong guys please correct me......