kotkot

Optics recommendation for (somewhat) long range

HI All, 

I am pondering many options for a scope to put on top of my new Savage BA stealth in 308

somewhat under $2k preferred.. with 20x zoom range. FFP.    needs to be quality optics with reliable adjusters and should be able to withstand bouncing and such...

right now here is what's on the list..  share your thoughts pls.

Viper Razor HD gen 1 

Steiner T5Xi 5-25x56mm 

Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP

Burris XTR Gen 2 5x25 

I have the Burris XTR II 5-25x-50 FFP G2B Mildot on my Remington 700 5R Milspec in 308. I have no complaints. The glass is crystal clear. This thing will take you to1,000+yds easily. 34mm tube and 34mm rings! Love the look. Compliments my Magpul Stock perfectly.

I paid just under $1,000 shipped.

258nh1z.jpg

2qkikio.jpg

2 hours ago, kotkot said:

Thank you Sir!  I hear eye box is small on them but good scope otherwise.  What's your take on it?  Where did you buy it from? Sounds like good price!

do you shoot at cherry ridge?

Eye box seems adequate to me. The thought of it being small never even crossed my mind. Eye relief is excellent.

I bought it off EBAY. Searched for model I wanted and found lowest price. I paid $965 shipped. That does not include the rings. It does however come with lens cap that are ok, but I swapped them out for Butler Creek caps.

I do shoot at Cherry Ridge.

For my 18" AR, I went with a 1.5-6x Weaver. I consider that mid-range... but went with the Weaver because it was FDE. My 18" was an FDE build.

For my .308, I went with a 4.5-14x Leupold Mk4. It is a Remington Model 7, and came with an older 2-7x Leupold. Was so impressed with the clarity of the glass, I was sticking with Leupold. This rifle will probably be a long range rifle... whenever I get out of NJ.

I have a Vortex Viper PST 6-24x50 FFP and the eye box is a bit picky. I would probably go with a Nightforce or Razr if I had to do it all over again and go lower on magnification.

When shooting precision out to 1,050 yards, I usually only go up to 16-17x max for wider field of view to call the shot and at max magnification the reticle bounces all over the place.

I've heard mixed reviews about Steiner.  Some people love them and some don't care for them.  I've generally only heard good things about Nightforce and S&B other than their price.  

9 hours ago, kotkot said:

thanks!

Nightforce is out NSX series at least(I had one and did not like illumination on it).. I like Vortex and Burris warranty... but based on this review.. Burris is not a good scope

http://opticsthoughts.com/?p=1424

I read that review before I bought the Burris. I also noted that the review was almost 2yrs old and used the 8 mil turret scope, not the updated 10 mil turret scope. The biggest issue I had researching the scope was the lack of info and reviews on it since it is relatively new. I decided to take a chance on it and I am not disappointed in anyway. It is starting to get attention now and more reviews/info are becoming available, which all seem to be positive.

For example:

http://www.precisionriflemedia.com/articles/2016/5/31/burris-xtr-ii-5-25-rifle-scope

it looks as of now.. it's between Burris XTR II and Vortex Viper PST FFP or Vortex Viper PST FFP Gen2..

now gotta search for good deal..Vortex Viper PST FFP Gen2. seems to be back ordered and Burris just announces $100 rebate on XTR..

Just now, kotkot said:

way more than I am willing to pay!

They can be found for less than 2k.  Check out sniper hide and ARFCOM.  I bought mine virtually new for 1300 bucks.  Blake on here had one for sale for about 1600.  

• Like 1

thats' an idea.. I will also wait for memorial day sale.. i am sure optics planet will put some good stuff on sale!   

going used route is an option certainly.. I use http://www.riverofguns.com/cb/index.pl?s=nightforce  to track deals.

1 minute ago, WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot said:

Also, take a look at IOR Valdada scopes if you can.  Under the radar but considered by many in the know to be the best bang for the buck. 

I actually have one now.. 4-14x 50.  it's going back to IOR for repairs this week.  parallax does not stay in focus... have to re-adjust after every shot.  depending on how good their repair service is, I might consider it.  optics is not bad on IOR. I like it.  and it's old model.. at lease 7 years.

have not taken it to range yet...optics seems clear but I doubt i can use full 25x magnification as eye box does seem small...also, I installed it with American Defence 34mm mount and it seems kind of too high so I might have to go to plain rings. will try to take it to range this week though..

3 hours ago, kotkot said:

have not taken it to range yet...optics seems clear but I doubt i can use full 25x magnification as eye box does seem small...also, I installed it with American Defence 34mm mount and it seems kind of too high so I might have to go to plain rings. will try to take it to range this week though..

I don't find the eye box being a problem at 25x, I do however find the FFP reticle being a problem at 25x. The reticle becomes so large at 25x that the cross hair can cover an object the size of a car at a half mile. I find myself using the 12-15x magnification range the most. 

• Like 1

so I had first range session with the scope. 100 yards only.  I am medium level satisfied with the scope so far and I did find that eye box bit small and difficult to find at 25x.  20x is not a problem.  I do agree that at 25x, reticle becomes rather thick. I think I would prefer just a dot in the middle and not a cross.  can't comment yet of click adjustment and repeat ability but I did achieve my personal best group so far. at least at 100 yards,  (I am just not a good rifle shooter, I was sure better result could be achieved)   I think I am happy with price/performance overall..   shooting from bench with bipod and rear sand bag.  I just can't get rifle perfectly stabilized and get comfortable cheek weld but it's a learning process for me.

IMG_8169.JPG

IMG_8171.JPG