emulzhn

any retailer w good inventory HG currently.. P2P burnin up..

31 minutes ago, emulzhn said:

ok ... gang.. will take those down and pay a visit... 

.... drooling already...  fun time...  thanks all ...

Make sure to mention NJGF... some may offer discounts as they have in the past. 

Largest selections near me (northern ocean county) are probably Howell Gun Works and Gargen State Shooting Center. The service I've gotten at HGW has been great...my first pistol was from HGW.  GSSC has been good as well, but I've not bought a firearm from them yet.

Monmouth Arms has been my go-to for my last few additions. Steve doesn't have the inventory of HGW or GSSC, but the prices tend to be a little better. He tends to keep his inventory updated on his website, so I'd recommend checking that or shooting him an email if you're looking for something specific.

I wasn't impressed with the service when I was there last, but Cheyenne Mountain also has a very large selection. Maybe it was because I was the only person under 50 and not talking about hunting at the gun counter? 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, mattm754 said:

Largest selections near me (northern ocean county) are probably Howell Gun Works and Gargen State Shooting Center. The service I've gotten at HGW has been great...my first pistol was from HGW.  GSSC has been good as well, but I've not bought a firearm from them yet.

Monmouth Arms has been my go-to for my last few additions. Steve doesn't have the inventory of HGW or GSSC, but the prices tend to be a little better. He tends to keep his inventory updated on his website, so I'd recommend checking that or shooting him an email if you're looking for something specific.

I wasn't impressed with the service when I was there last, but Cheyenne Mountain also has a very large selection. Maybe it was because I was the only person under 50 and not talking about hunting at the gun counter? 

yes, Cheyenne has a huge inventory but seems progressively people are getting worse service, with attitude, and new prices are nothing to write home about.

I was able to find a sweet Colt revolver there for a very good price (used).

I have to say I was at Cheyenne the past weekend and am very happy with the service I received. Picked their brains about shotguns and shouldered a bunch. Very helpful and friendly. Will definitely consider them when buying. Good selection of guns around and prices were compatible.

1 hour ago, Tony13 said:

I have to say I was at Cheyenne the past weekend and am very happy with the service I received. Picked their brains about shotguns and shouldered a bunch. Very helpful and friendly. Will definitely consider them when buying. Good selection of guns around and prices were compatible.

Judging by the crowd and the service I got last time, I wouldn't doubt that Cheyanne Mountain is a good place to shop for a shotgun, especially for hunting purposes. The guy I dealt with wasn't rude or anything like that, he just didn't seem too knowledgeable about 9mm pistols. His only input when I asked about the VP9 was something to the effect of "that's a really nice gun." He couldn't even tell me why the one model (with night sights) cost more than the other. He also didn't seem too enthused about putting other striker 9s in my hands like other shops. Sale was lost when he realized they were sold out of the model I wanted and would have to come back in a week or so.

With all of that said, I'd have no hesitation to shop for hunting guns at Cheyanne Mountain. I'd certainly shop there before going to Dick's (unless I already knew what I wanted and Dick's had the exact model at a great price, and even then I'd think twice about it).

One place I do like a lot, but they are fairly small as a gun store, Sportsman's Center in Bordentown.  Nicest guys in the world just to hang out at the store, zero sales pressure , etc.  Plus as far as I know, terrific hunting shop if you are looking for bow/xbow advice.

On 5/15/2017 at 6:04 PM, emulzhn said:

Hello gang..

anybody wanna share what u saw at LGS  (South / Central J)...?

...weighing the shops b4 I visit

So did you buy something or is that permit still sitting around begging you to use it?

On 5/15/2017 at 6:04 PM, emulzhn said:

Hello gang..

anybody wanna share what u saw at LGS  (South / Central J)...?

...weighing the shops b4 I visit

Not sure how far north you might be willing to travel up to "Central" NJ, but my favorite LGS is a very small, but really great place called Garden State Armory, in Warren Township (Somerset Co.). Not to be confused with Garden State Shooting Center. G S Armory is definitely very small, but they have a really outstanding selection of handguns. I just purchased 2 guns from them the other day, including a Sig Sauer P 226 Legion 9mm, and a CZ 75 Compact 9 mm. Both of the prices were very good, esp. for the Legion 9 mm, that usually sell as fast as they can get them in, so I bought it & paid in full about 2 months ago, before I even put in for the 2 permits. The CZ 75 compact they had just received when I went in there to look around, & I decided to pay for it also, & wait on the permits. I can definitely recommend the GS Armory for great customer service, it is worth a look. 

Try Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters in Bordentown. Big selections on handguns and ARs. I have bought all my firearms from Cheyenne. The prices are a bit high compared to other places but I still buy from them because never ever had a problem and the background check are quick. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TrentonShooter said:

Try Cheyenne Mountain Outfitters in Bordentown. Big selections on handguns and ARs. I have bought all my firearms from Cheyenne. The prices are a bit high compared to other places but I still buy from them because never ever had a problem and the background check are quick. 

I don't believe that the shop has any influence on the background check time. That's all on the state police AFAIK. 

• Like 1

On 5/16/2017 at 11:35 AM, Maksim said:

One place I do like a lot, but they are fairly small as a gun store, Sportsman's Center in Bordentown.  Nicest guys in the world just to hang out at the store, zero sales pressure , etc.  Plus as far as I know, terrific hunting shop if you are looking for bow/xbow advice.

They used to be the best place in the area - by far. Huge inventory and very knowledgable and friendly sales people there. Purchased quite a few things from them over the years. No one would go to Cheyanne (back when it was Harry's Army and Navy). Not sure what happened over the years to Sportman's Center when it came to selling pistols. I first noticed it when they went from their large selection in the back to four counters in the front when you walk in. Personally, I think they started going smaller once OGAM came into effect. IMHO. 

17 minutes ago, Stonecoldchavez said:

They used to be the best place in the area - by far. Huge inventory and very knowledgable and friendly sales people there. Purchased quite a few things from them over the years. No one would go to Cheyanne (back when it was Harry's Army and Navy). Not sure what happened over the years to Sportman's Center when it came to selling pistols. I first noticed it when they went from their large selection in the back to four counters in the front when you walk in. Personally, I think they started going smaller once OGAM came into effect. IMHO. 

Sportsman's center did the renovation and moved the guns to the front.  During this time, I also don't think they knew which way they wanted to go and dumped a ton of money to dive into the hunting, and opened up the huge bow center.

Now they are cutting back the size of the store and I believe were looking to rent out half of the building, i.e. the new renovation that is now closed.

Possibly the owners getting older and just don't know which way to go?

By having Cheyenne now go further south on/off of 130, it should help them more, if they want. 

At one point they were also the distributor for Liberty safes in NJ and had them all on display, not sure if they do anymore.

One thing that did not change, the two guys working the gun counter, extremely friendly and if you are interested in older firearms,  just a treasure trove of information.  Most of all, ZERO sales pressure.... perhaps part of the issue? hehe.

41 minutes ago, Stonecoldchavez said:

Spot on Maksim. The sales guys when I went there were Lonnie and Chris. 

Lonnie is awesome but have not seen him there in a bit. Fritz? The older gentleman is my guy of choice, walking encyclopedia of shotguns, rifles and older handguns. 

Cheyenne is overpriced on some items, but I've found that they are pretty reasonable most of the time.  They also surprise me at times by having something in stock that no one else has.  For example, was looking for a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5CM with a SS barrel.  I checked all around and no one had any in stock, even online vendors.  On a whim, I emailed Cheyenne and they had one in stock and were selling it for the same price as Eurooptics. 

I did stop in Sportsman's Center since it's on the way back from Cheyenne.  I bought my Liberty safe from them a few years back as well.  It's a shame, but the place just looked really quiet when compared to Cheyenne.  There was only 1 other person in there the entire time I was there whereas Cheyenne had at least 5-7 folks.  The Liberty safes are all gone from the front of the store now so I'm assuming they are not selling them anymore.  Just overall seems like the place is slowly dying.