Ray Ray

Is 40S&W on life support?

Funny vid. Link prob wasn’t meant to be real but it is their coupon code. I have one gun in 40 and rarely if ever shoot it. Just a couple hundred rounds to go with it and a box of Critical Defense. Das it. Just never got into the caliber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Well based on me running out of ammo due to re-shoot and not checking boxes of ammo to see if they were full, no one was running 45 that i could find but there was plenty of 40 to be had..so i must say it appears to be hanging around for while..

• Like 1

On 5/31/2017 at 6:44 PM, Wojo said:

Raz-0...great input. Thank you.

I haven't had a chance to use my chrony on my 40 - S2K. But Raz's input got me to thinking. One of the reasons I like a 40 is the subsonic component on shooting inside a residential room using 165/180's. (I used to keep a 1911 handy, but I like having those extra rounds so I made the switch).  I used my S2K for part of an outdoor Urban Carbine class to see how it would function. I was very surprised at how quite it was. Reason...even with the extra 12 inches of barrel, it must have remained subsonic. (stroking chin...veeeery interesting). Regardless if 40 is on the way out, it still makes for a nice backpack carbine to take down game and have the interchangeability using the larger mags in a G27 / G23. Glad I have one in Sig as well. When in doubt...get both.

I must have missed this reply a while ago. SO you can thank ray-ray and his video if you find this useful.

AS mentioned previously, it appears that in a 16" carbine, you are burning all your powder  up before you reach the end. 

Pistol noise is expanding, HOT gasses. Even if you are supersonic, if you are hitting max velocity at 10" of barrel due to gas no longer expanding faster than the bullet is moving, you are net resulting in slower expanding gas by the time you uncork the tube. Additionally, you would have ~6" of barrel acting like a bloop tube, which can tame noise a bit. If you had enough, it would be like those insanely long, ultra quiet, but not actually legally suppressed shotguns they use for culling wild animals in residential areas. You also get 16" of barrel playing heat sink. Taking the heat out of expanding gasses should reduce the rate of expansion (which may factor into my previously related chrono experience, it might not all be friction, but in part sucking some energy out of the expanding gasses). 

On 5/31/2017 at 6:44 PM, Wojo said:

Raz-0...great input. Thank you.

I haven't had a chance to use my chrony on my 40 - S2K. But Raz's input got me to thinking. One of the reasons I like a 40 is the subsonic component on shooting inside a residential room using 165/180's. (I used to keep a 1911 handy, but I like having those extra rounds so I made the switch).  I used my S2K for part of an outdoor Urban Carbine class to see how it would function. I was very surprised at how quite it was. Reason...even with the extra 12 inches of barrel, it must have remained subsonic. (stroking chin...veeeery interesting). Regardless if 40 is on the way out, it still makes for a nice backpack carbine to take down game and have the interchangeability using the larger mags in a G27 / G23. Glad I have one in Sig as well. When in doubt...get both.

I must have missed this reply a while ago. SO you can thank ray-ray and his video if you find this useful.

AS mentioned previously, it appears that in a 16" carbine, you are burning all your powder  up before you reach the end. 

Pistol noise is expanding, HOT gasses. Even if you are supersonic, if you are hitting max velocity at 10" of barrel due to gas no longer expanding faster than the bullet is moving, you are net resulting in slower expanding gas by the time you uncork the tube. Additionally, you would have ~6" of barrel acting like a bloop tube, which can tame noise a bit. If you had enough, it would be like those insanely long, ultra quiet, but not actually legally suppressed shotguns they use for culling wild animals in residential areas. You also get 16" of barrel playing heat sink. Taking the heat out of expanding gasses should reduce the rate of expansion (which may factor into my previously related chrono experience, it might not all be friction, but in part sucking some energy out of the expanding gasses). 

9 minutes ago, 1brentenfan said:

Not sure if the 40 cal is on life support or not, but I know that I really do like my Glock 23, Sig 229 (non rail), & S&W M&P 40 Pro Series. They are all really great guns to shoot at the local indoor range, using FMJ target shooting ammo. 

It's definitely sick, we have all concluded that.  But it will probably never really die.  There are too many 40 caliber guns out there for the caliber to be discontinued. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Zeke said:

That is a good argument for caliber diversity for an individual.

Exactly my thinking. I bought my first .40 for a tryout. The next one or two so I'd have more than one pistol that could use that caliber. Mrs. 45Doll too.

If all else failed.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 45Doll said:

And if I remember correctly, after Newtown not only was .40 more available, it was also cheaper.

I'd planned to get a Glock 20 with my last permit, before Newtown happened, but got convinced to go for the Glock 23 instead.  Not sure why I didn't go for the 22 since I was looking for the 20, but I love my 23.  Getting ammo for it was never really a problem, compared to my 9mm and .45 - though I didn't buy a lot of ammo for it for a while.  I bought the gun a few hours before finding out I was being laid off.

I remember seeing .40, .357sig, and 10mm available locally throughout the panic. 

I still want that Glock 20 Gen4 for whatever reason.

Simply put, as a civilian restricted from full auto or anything above 15 rounds, I generally do not like anything in smaller calibers. Not 9, not 5.56, not 20 gauge, etc. For me rifles start with .30 and handguns start with .40 and shotguns come in 12 gauge. If I'm going to have a slower and smaller rate of fire, I'm going to make those fewer rounds count for as much as they can.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

Buy your small frame Glocks in .40.

Then buy 9mm conversion barrels and mags.

Then get a .22 slide conversion and mags.

3 calibers in one gun with one permit.

Add a 357 Sig barrel and that turns into 4 calibers in one.

2 hours ago, High Exposure said:

Buy your small frame Glocks in .40.

Then buy 9mm conversion barrels and mags.

Then get a .22 slide conversion and mags.

3 calibers in one gun with one permit.

Better do it quickly before it's identified as a "loophole" in the gun laws...

• Like 1