Bully

New Barrel is in, Questions on Bullets

Since the reloading forum pretty much sucks on here I figured I would try here first.  

I'm building an SPR type rifle.  223Wylde, 7 twist, 18" barrel.  I should have the barrel in hand in a week or two as I went in on a sale at X-Caliber with a good friend and it all shipped to him down south.  I'm hoping to run 75gn AMAX thru it but am unsure if the polymer tip will be a detriment to getting it to load well at mag length.  I will be shooting this to 300 yards on the regular but out to 700 or 1k(I hope) at least once a year.  If anyone has been shooting this bullet, either successfully or not, please post your experiences with it when you can.  If you haven't had success, let me know what you are using instead.  

Thanks in advance.  

Have not shot the Amax, but usually SMK.  At this weight, you are likely dealing with compressed loads so a few other things to watch for. 

As far as magazine loading... with 5 to 10 rounds in the mag, should not be an issue.  Issues I had were when loading 15 rounds.

Beyond that, I would say for most loads should not be an issue unless you are loading it long for your particular barrel.  

Have you looked at the Hornady reloading guide?  Should tell you their OAL right there in the book. =) 

another thing to keep in mind, try a search on here, I am sure over the last 9 years it may have been addressed.... either do a site search or.... google.com, put in Amax, or whatever search term, and put in "site:njgunforums.com" and it will limit the results to here. =)

Okay, did a few more searches on the Amax.  So basically if you want to get best results, you would be seating it beyond magazine length and would be hand feeding them one at a time.   Find the max OAL for your barrel once you get it... and then go from there. 

Will let the precision rifle guys chime in more on it. 

8 hours ago, patnemo said:

I believe 75 a-maxes need to be loaded long . For mag length load a 69 or 77 smk or nosler. I've used Varget for both, 24.5 for 69 and 23.8 for 77 . 

Thanks.  Much appreciated.  

Chris - as you know I've had a similar issue about loading beyond mag length but for different reasons.

So now I single load for precision rounds.  Which again poses a new set of problems loosing sight picture when dropping the bolt on the left hand side.

That's why I went with an ambi bolt release.

This may be off topic but related.

Personally, I like SMKs

Don't use polymer tips for precision loads. Use 75 grain SMK heck I've even had good result Prvi 75 BTHP.   I've tried all the out of an 18" Rainier arms match .223 wylde and the non polymer tipped bullets performed best.  

I've been using 40 grain Amax bullets in 5.7x28 and I find them to not hold the best accuracy in that platform either. 

• Like 1

I loaded 175 gr smk tipped. The same like amax but with a green tip.  I did load them to fit in my ar10 mags.  But i did have to bring my oal down to where it fit. Shot about 400 at a class in pa that went out to 1050 yards.  I used 4166 powder and had no problems at all.  

2 hours ago, Golf battery said:

I loaded 175 gr smk tipped. The same like amax but with a green tip.  I did load them to fit in my ar10 mags.  But i did have to bring my oal down to where it fit. Shot about 400 at a class in pa that went out to 1050 yards.  I used 4166 powder and had no problems at all.  

That's a big bullet in an AR15...

On 5/17/2017 at 8:56 PM, Topher said:

I'm building an SPR type rifle.  223Wylde, 7 twist, 18" barrel.  I should have the barrel in hand in a week or two as I went in on a sale at X-Caliber with a good friend and it all shipped to him down south.  I'm hoping to run 75gn AMAX thru it but am unsure if the polymer tip will be a detriment to getting it to load well at mag length...

My original post, abbreviated  ^^^

im specifically looking for info on running 75's in a 223.

Thank you for your info on 175's in an AR10 tho. 

On 5/31/2017 at 1:53 PM, Golf battery said:

My point is that its doable in a semi.   You just have to work on your load.  I had and could not find any info on my 308 load.  I figured it out though 

His question is not really dooable at all. Maybe your situation was worked out, but there is data on the bullet he asked about, and it's min. OAL is too big for magazines. 

I would never suggest to someone to go outside the load data. Maybe he can do it, but then what's the point? The ballistics will be terrible.

308. Bullets can increase in grain without adding to much length due to the larger diameter bullet. It's an entirely different situation. These 75grain amax bullets also add dead space at the tip, making them even longer then needed.