Sign in to follow this  
theRU

Garands- Anybody here an expert?

There are no experts here. Nope, none at all. 

I'll give you $500. I'll meet at a FFL of your choice. 

What do you have? Garands can be all over the place.

(On a serious note, I call dibs if it's really crusty. I want a back from the dead project)

There is also an option 3 but for some reason i can't log into this forum from my tapatalk app and i have those pics on my phone.

Besides the fact that this guy is laying these guns on concrete which peeves the hell out of me. is there anything in particular that stands out good or bad? What should be fair market value on these? I always wanted to add a garand to my stash. I know some of the basics as far as checking the serial numbers to know when these were made.

Appreciate any feedback from those who know their stuff on Garands.

Barrel gauges a little high, Lead heel, Nice looking, Should run about 1K. With CMP papers? LMR barrel is a plus, Looks like a HRA stock.

• Like 1

those are CMP field grade rifles. The CMP was selling them last year for $630 shipped. The CMP is currently out of stock on them for now. Generally a lower throat and muzzle erosion number is a less worn barrel which may also be an indicator of how accurate the gun is. LMR barrels are known for accuracy, they were only made in the early-mid 50's. The receivers on both 1 and 2 were made probably late 1942. The rifles have probably been rebuilt/ have had many parts replaced in the last 75 years and are not in a collectible condition, but just a shooter grade Garand. Option 2 has an "uncut" operating rod. Many original operating rods had a relief cut added by the bend to alleviate potential cracks. Operating rods that are uncut are somewhat more valuable for collectible guns, but if you bought option 2 and are going to be shooting it alot you may want to switch out the uncut operating rod for one with the relief cut. Locally, I would say $900-1000 price range would be a good price.

1563621 knows his Garands. I think he has seen a few in his time ;).

The LMR barrels are regarded as good shooters. 

I do agree that the wear readings on the 1st rifle are a bit high, however if the bores are the same (no pitting, etc...) I like the first rifle better. The nicer stock, more even wear, and milled trigger guard make it a winner in my book. Even with readings of 3, there can still be plenty of serviceable life left in it. I would lower my offer for that one a bit. ~$825

The other one stays at $900-$1000 because of how nice those readings are. You could also sell that IHC trigger group and uncut operating rod and get SA replacements cheaper. I just can't get over the weak heal markings, kind of a deal breaker for me unless I really wanted a shooter.

• Like 1

thanks for the feedback. Does having the CMP certs matter? This seller could not locate.  I realize these aren't really "collectable" condition. I just want a garand that i can shoot and not feel bad about it, and would prefer that isn't all beat up with obvious gouges, which is why i preferred the first Rifle over the second. The third Rifle that this guy has, he has the cmp cert. It is also an SA with mid 1million serial number but that one does not have the LMR barrel. Stock looks nice.

8 minutes ago, Nickjc said:

OK here we go - 900 to 1000 for that rifle is way too much IMO.

While a MR of 3+ - would be nice to know the actual reading, does not mean it is a bad shooter - I have seen an M! with an SA barrel that swallowed a guage, shoot quite well at 100 yds. - further as you can expect things opened up a bit.  All it means as the gun has seen some use :)

Now what do you want the M1 for?  Range gun, collecting etc.  Are you concerned about originality, 'correctness' etc.?

There are MUCH MUCH better deals out there on MUCH MUCH better M1's - for me IMO I would not shell out any more than 750 for that rifle on a good day.  Frankly that MR is too high for me anyhow so I would pass on it.

Today the Garand marker is over inflated with the hype that the CMP is almost out.  They have been almost our for years.  NOW, there will be a day when they are truly out, but today is not that day.

Also think about this, there are millions of M1's in private hand sin the US (guesstimate) and those old codgers that have been hording them and buying them for pennies on the proverbial dollar for years, some have over 20 or more !

Those folks at some point are going to pass on to the range in the sky and at some point the market is going to start being flooded with good garands at rock bottom prices.  :) 

Think of the M1 market today like the housing market of years ago, over inflated and in need of a correction.  There are bargains out there, and good prices on good guns.  Again this is not one of them IMO

*BUT* if you like it and the price is good to you and YOU HAVE TO HAVE IT - then good for you BUY IT and come back with a range report.

Do you happen to have any sources? I'm having a hard time finding them. There are a few places in CA that sell them for $2800 and up but i'm not nearly familiar enough to tell if those are truly collectable and more rare or if they're just over priced.

7 hours ago, 1563621 said:

Barrel gauges a little high, Lead heel, Nice looking, Should run about 1K. With CMP papers? LMR barrel is a plus, Looks like a HRA stock.

Is lead heel good or bad?

Lead heal is moot, some people like it, some people don't. I have a lead heel and I like the way it looks. If the rifles don't come with certs, shave some money off. They CMP certs are the only thing that tell you that these were not slapped together. 

The second rifle with a cert can hold $900 all day long with a barrel like that. It should be a good shooter. The stock is the big detractor. It has a hint of a marking, but nothing to really add value. As I said earlier, without the cert, you can offer a little less.

Don't buy a story, buy the rifle. A lesson I've learned all too well.

As for Nickjc's comment, he is kind of right about the Garand market (kinda goes for a lot of mil-surp. right now) being a bit "inflated". The prices are a little high. Supposedly the CMP is getting something like ~81,000 Garands back from the Philippines, so if you can buy from the CMP, I would wait. There may be an adjustment, but even if they take a small value hit today or tomorrow, the supply is finite. When they are gone, the value has nowhere to go but up.

30-06 is expensive. Don't worry about buying a nice one and shooting it out. If you could afford that, you would probably have a Garand or two already. I personally love my Garand, but I have to admit that it only sees *maybe* one trip a year, and has only seen one JCG trip.

Some Great advice here! check CMP for sale forum, Some nice ones for sale. I just received a Letterkenny with a new 66 SA barrel for 1K. Will post pics.

4 hours ago, theRU said:

thanks for the feedback. Does having the CMP certs matter? This seller could not locate.  I realize these aren't really "collectable" condition. I just want a garand that i can shoot and not feel bad about it, and would prefer that isn't all beat up with obvious gouges, which is why i preferred the first Rifle over the second. The third Rifle that this guy has, he has the cmp cert. It is also an SA with mid 1million serial number but that one does not have the LMR barrel. Stock looks nice.

Do you happen to have any sources? I'm having a hard time finding them. There are a few places in CA that sell them for $2800 and up but i'm not nearly familiar enough to tell if those are truly collectable and more rare or if they're just over priced.

If you want a decent looking shooter that should last the rest of your life you may want to consider a CMP Special Field Grade.  I think they're about 800.  New barrel, new stock, and pretty much a new looking M1. A friend bought a CMP Special and it looks as close to new as you'll get without spending many thousand dollars.  If you have any issues with it CMP will fix it.  Description says it will have some pitting above the wood line.

CMP descriptions are usually pretty conservative to my experience.  I hand picked a Field Grade a few years ago in the North Store.  The only reason I can see it was a field grade is some wear on the receiver.  It had all walnut wood, WW2 receiver,  VAR barrel, measured a 2 at each end, and mostly Beretta parts.  It's my best shooting M1.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GRIZ said:

If you want a decent looking shooter that should last the rest of your life you may want to consider a CMP Special Field Grade.  I think they're about 800.  New barrel, new stock, and pretty much a new looking M1. A friend bought a CMP Special and it looks as close to new as you'll get without spending many thousand dollars.  If you have any issues with it CMP will fix it.  Description says it will have some pitting above the wood line.

CMP descriptions are usually pretty conservative to my experience.  I hand picked a Field Grade a few years ago in the North Store.  The only reason I can see it was a field grade is some wear on the receiver.  It had all walnut wood, WW2 receiver,  VAR barrel, measured a 2 at each end, and mostly Beretta parts.  It's my best shooting M1.

Yeah i wouldnt mind buying from CMP but i believe they are all out last time i checked. Aside from some sniper models.

There was some nice CMP Garands on one of the forums for $950 each. Honestly I don't know where the $700 Garands are, but if anyone has a nice Garand for $700 I would be interested and I don't collect American Milsurps. I do agree Garands are overpriced and most of the ones I see selling are between $1,100-1,200. I was told a few months ago one I offered for sale here was over priced at I believe $1,100. It sold the same day I listed it on another forum.

As for where to buy Garands direct from CMP is best if you are patient. If you must have one right away check out CMP Forum. I think the guy with a half dozen or so for sale listed them on gunboards. They were all $950 and two were sold almost immediately.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1