shiberm

It appears that NJ residents cannot carry in PA with a NH permit

I have applied for a NH carry permit and was hoping I would be able to carry in PA.

I like to play golf in PA and wanted to be able to take my gun with me and stop at the range on the way back.

I have ready many posts by NJ residents who think that they can legally carry in PA once they get the NH carry permit. 

#2 below seems to apply directly to NJ residents with the NH permit.

Looks pretty clear cut to me but hoping that I am somehow missing or misinterpreting something.

From the PA Gov website.

Note that to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania, a person must either:

• 1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
  • 2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or
  • 3 - fall within the applicable exceptions in 18 Pa. C.S. §6106(2)(b) as listed above, including §6106(2)(b)(15) regarding licenses/permits to carry a firearm recognized under Pennsylvania law without a formal reciprocity agreement. 

Can a Mod please just delete this thread.  Not sure why Firearms Owners in NJ look for reasons to have their Second Amendment Rights infringed.  We don't need misinformation being spread by OP.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, capt14k said:

Can a Mod please just delete this thread.  Not sure why Firearms Owners in NJ look for reasons to have their Second Amendment Rights infringed.  We don't need misinformation being spread by OP.

I will strongly disagree with you. As a newer firearms enthusiast myself, I didn't think any of the posts above clarify anything. I also believe the OP is being cautious, not "looking for reasons to have their 2A rights infringed".

Unless PA has not kept their info current, he has a point. Does it matter that the NH/PA agreement doesn't specify residency? If the PA law states you must be a resident of the state you have the CCW in, I would be inclined to abide by that in PA. That sucks for me as well because I was looking to do the same thing. I must be missing something too. You should delete my post.

Way to welcome a newbie to the forum. Eating our own still...

As annoying as it is to respond without Tapatalk I will.

Scroll up in first link from where OP  Copied and Posted False Info.  Reciprocity does exist that is an exception.  Absolutely NJ Resident with NH Permit can carry concealed in PA.  Unless new AG changes rules.  If they do PAFOA Forum will be all over it.  This is why threads like this need to go away.  2 people posting wrong info.

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Twospot said:

I will strongly disagree with you. As a newer firearms enthusiast myself, I didn't think any of the posts above clarify anything. I also believe the OP is being cautious, not "looking for reasons to have their 2A rights infringed".

Unless PA has not kept their info current, he has a point. Does it matter that the NH/PA agreement doesn't specify residency? If the PA law states you must be a resident of the state you have the CCW in, I would be inclined to abide by that in PA. That sucks for me as well because I was looking to do the same thing. I must be missing something too. You should delete my post.

Way to welcome a newbie to the forum. Eating our own still...

Even after a mod posted links to disprove your above post, you posted it anyway.  Maybe you should just sell all your guns, just to be safe.

6 minutes ago, capt14k said:

As annoying as it is to respond without Tapatalk I will.

Scroll up in first link from where OP  Copied and Posted False Info.  Reciprocity does exist that is an exception.  Absolutely NJ Resident with NH Permit can carry concealed in PA.  Unless new AG changes rules.  If they do PAFOA Forum will be all over it.  This is why threads like this need to go away.  2 people posting wrong info.

https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx

https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Media_and_Resources/Firearm_Reciprocity_Agreements/

I was looking for clarification, not posting false information.

9 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Even after a mod posted links to disprove your above post, you posted it anyway.  Maybe you should just sell all your guns, just to be safe.

I will because Ray Ray said so.

Maybe there is a reading comprehension problem.  Did TwoSpot just accuse me of posting false information?  If so then there is definitely a reading comprehension problem on his end.  If not I guess I read his post wrong.

The statutes themselves are a good source of information:

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.061.006.000..HTM

6106.  Firearms not to be carried without a license.
(b)  Exceptions.--The provisions of subsection (a) shall not
     apply to:
     (15)  Any person who possesses a valid and lawfully
        issued license or permit to carry a firearm which has been
        issued under the laws of another state, regardless of whether
        a reciprocity agreement exists between the Commonwealth and
        the state under section 6109(k), provided: ........

http://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.061.009.000..HTM

6109.  Licenses.
(k)  Reciprocity.--
(1)  The Attorney General shall have the power and duty to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states providing for the mutual recognition of a license to carry a firearm issued by the Commonwealth and a license or permit to carry a firearm issued by the other state. To carry out this duty, the Attorney General is authorized to negotiate reciprocity agreements and grant recognition of a license or permit to carry a firearm issued by another state.
(2)  The Attorney General shall report to the General Assembly within 180 days of the effective date of this paragraph and annually thereafter concerning the agreements which have been consummated under this subsection.

Firearm Reciprocity Agreements

In 1995, the Pennsylvania General Assembly gave the Attorney General the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states.

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania currently has formal written reciprocity agreements with 18 states that recognize a valid license to carry firearms issued by Pennsylvania.  Conversely, Pennsylvania recognizes valid firearm carry licenses/permits from those states.  In addition to the 18 formal agreements, other forms of reciprocity are applicable. 

Categories of Firearms Reciprocity
Under Pennsylvania law, there are six categories of firearms reciprocity status. 

Category 1: States that have entered into written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania.  (Title 18 Pa.C.S.A. § 6109(k))

The following states have entered into formal written reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania under section 6109(k) of the Uniform Firearms Act.  These agreements provide for reciprocal recognition of valid licenses/permits issued by both states. 

A list of these states and links to their firearms laws is provided below, along with the text of the agreements:

New Hampshire
Read the Pennsylvania Firearm Reciprocity Agreement with New Hampshire
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/MainSite/Content/Criminal/FirearmsReciprocity/Signed_NH_Agreement.pdf

The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania will recognize valid New Hampshire permits to carry concealed
firearms by valid permit holders while said permit holders are present in the Commonwealth of
Pennsylvania.

Nowhere does the agreement say that you have to be a resident of NH.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, TrentonShooter said:

Has anyone called the PAs AG office to ask the direct question?

NO NO NO!  The PA AG is a very busy man with his anti gun agenda.! PLEASE do not turn his attention this way!

It would be very bad for us! Call Scott Bach at NJRPC, (Gun For Hire). He did a radio show on this

subject. I carry in PA often with my NH non res CCW. You are fine.

• Like 2

Here is an email response from the PA AG and a Maryland shooter:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195815

My concern with the wording stemmed from the initial usage of Citizens (of New Hampshire) and that would extend to the entire agreement. I was shocked to actually receive an email response from the PA AG's office today (24 days after it was sent). 

Mr. K,
Thank you for contacting the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
Yes, Pennsylvania does have reciprocity with non-resident New Hampshire concealed pistol permits. 
Here is a link to our website for the firearm reciprocity agreements:
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Medi...ty_Agreements/

My Question: "greetings, can you please confirm that PA honors all valid New Hampshire concealed pistol permits. thank you"

So now there is no doubt (for now) that the Non-resident NH permit is good in PA. What's interesting about their response was that I never asked about non-resident permits, only 'all NH permits' but their response was about non-resident permits.

12 minutes ago, NJGF said:

Here is an email response from the PA AG and a Maryland shooter:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195815

My concern with the wording stemmed from the initial usage of Citizens (of New Hampshire) and that would extend to the entire agreement. I was shocked to actually receive an email response from the PA AG's office today (24 days after it was sent). 

Mr. K,
Thank you for contacting the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
Yes, Pennsylvania does have reciprocity with non-resident New Hampshire concealed pistol permits. 
Here is a link to our website for the firearm reciprocity agreements:
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Medi...ty_Agreements/

My Question: "greetings, can you please confirm that PA honors all valid New Hampshire concealed pistol permits. thank you"

So now there is no doubt (for now) that the Non-resident NH permit is good in PA. What's interesting about their response was that I never asked about non-resident permits, only 'all NH permits' but their response was about non-resident permits.

Then that settles it....I bet they get asked this question on a regular basis in regard to the non- resident reciprocity or NJ resident las carrying in PA.

Just now, TrentonShooter said:

Why? Because I my self didn't ask ? Or because I want to know the correct law so I don't get arrested while I carry a firearm in that state ?

Because even after getting the answer to your question with links to the law, you keep digging and digging.   

Actually, your right.  You can't carry in Pennsylvania.  So don't.  You are dangerous, plan and simple.  

You can also check the USA Carry website:

https://www.usacarry.com/concealed_carry_permit_reciprocity_maps.html

Click on NH (non-resident) and you will see a list of states that honor their non-resident permit:

Permit(s) Honored In:
Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Utah, Vermont, Virginia, West Virginia, Wyoming

I have the CCW Android app which allows me to enter all of my permits (resident or non-resident) and it shows me what states I can carry in as well as lots of other info and links for each state.

6 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

Because even after getting the answer to your question with links to the law, you keep digging and digging.   

Actually, your right.  You can't carry in Pennsylvania.  So don't.  You are dangerous, plan and simple.  

With all due respect sir. When people are not sure of thing or don't know something, they ask questions. That's the reason forums are formed. If you know the answers, help out. If you don't or don't have anything helpful to say towards the subject STFU ! I joined this forums to learn more about firearm and the laws but I think I'm gonna quit coming here because of smart asses like you !!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, NJGF said:

I have the CCW Android app which allows me to enter all of my permits (resident or non-resident) and it shows me what states I can carry in as well as lots of other info and links for each state.

What app, that's interesting 

I thought I was clear in my post above about why we don't contact certain people and ask certain questions. Example: Target has a $2,000.00 laptop on clearance for $1.00. A store shows 1 in stock, you call the store and ask the clerk to make sure the price is good and they have it.........You just lost it since you brought the mistake to their attention! Same effing thing here......... You have something good, then you bring it to the attention of someone who has the ability to take it away you just lost it! Eventually. you learn to keep your mouth shut!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TrentonShooter said:

With all due respect sir. When people are not sure of thing or don't know something, they ask questions. That's the reason forums are formed. If you know the answers, help out. If you don't or don't have anything helpful to say towards the subject STFU ! I joined this forums to learn more about firearm and the laws but I think I'm gonna quit coming here because of smart asses like you !!!

We, as I am sure you do sir, thank our lucky stars for the freedoms we have , however few that we have left in this Godforsaken state! We sometimes become alarmed when there is talk of contacting agencies for clarification who have the ability to say "he's right, let's close that loophole right now"! I am sure you can understand that.

PM me if you don't know how this applies to the NH CCW.......I will explain!

I wish I could find the old post here by the guy who called his local town to see if there was a local ordinance preventing him from building a shooting range in his back yard.  There wasn't...until they received his phone call and decided to pass one.

Lets' stop badgering the new anti-gun PA AG who already made a campaign promise to cancel these reciprocity agreements.  I want him to forget about us.

• Like 2

Yeah give Josh Shapiro's office a call and ask if you are covered by exploiting a loophole in his state's reciprocity laws and then when they change the reciprocity agreement with NH to honor only state resident permits come back here and bitch about how shitty PA is. Don't forget to also ask about Texas while you are at it. :rolleyes:

• Like 1