shiberm

It appears that NJ residents cannot carry in PA with a NH permit

4 hours ago, NJGF said:

Here is an email response from the PA AG and a Maryland shooter:

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=195815

My concern with the wording stemmed from the initial usage of Citizens (of New Hampshire) and that would extend to the entire agreement. I was shocked to actually receive an email response from the PA AG's office today (24 days after it was sent). 

Mr. K,
Thank you for contacting the Pennsylvania Office of Attorney General.
Yes, Pennsylvania does have reciprocity with non-resident New Hampshire concealed pistol permits. 
Here is a link to our website for the firearm reciprocity agreements:
https://www.attorneygeneral.gov/Medi...ty_Agreements/

My Question: "greetings, can you please confirm that PA honors all valid New Hampshire concealed pistol permits. thank you"

So now there is no doubt (for now) that the Non-resident NH permit is good in PA. What's interesting about their response was that I never asked about non-resident permits, only 'all NH permits' but their response was about non-resident permits.

I freaking can't believe this is happening! Why would anyone direct this question to Josh Shapiro of all people?

Wow some real militants here. 

You all seem to want it to be true so much that you are willing to accept anything that seems to prove your point.

My future freedom is very very important to me.  The point of the post was that on the PA government website firearms information section. It states that those agreements only apply to those people with residency in those states. 

Based on most of the replies -- there is no reason for that text to appear there. 

You all are convinced that the only thing that matters is that the NH reciprocity agreement  doesnt mention residency while some other do. And that since it does not mention it and those others do it must mean that it does not apply to the NH permit. 

That seems like a weak premise to base your future freedom on.. 

The text I copied and pasted is on the site and is part of the section that talks about PA's reciprocity agreements.

Not sure how anyone can read the following on the PA GOV firearms info site and not at least question it.

from "https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx"

How can I find the most recent information regarding Firearm Reciprocity Agreements?

In 1995, the Pennsylvania General Assembly gave the Attorney General the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states providing for the mutual recognition of each state’s license to carry a firearm. The most current information concerning what states have reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania is posted on the Attorney General’s website. To access this information on their web site, select “Crime” and from the drop down box select “Firearm Reciprocity”. From here you can view all the states that currently have reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania along with a copy of the actual reciprocity agreements. All licenses issued by reciprocity states are recognized in Pennsylvania.

Other information included under “Firearm Reciprocity” is a list of states that allow individuals to carry concealed weapons in their state as long as they have a valid concealed weapons permit from their home state, regardless of whether or not there is a reciprocity agreement with that state. These states usually require the individual to have the actual permit and photo ID on their person while carrying the weapon. Note that to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania, a person must either:

• 1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
  • 2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or
  • 3 - fall within the applicable exceptions in 18 Pa. C.S. §6106(2)(b) as listed above, including §6106(2)(b)(15) regarding licenses/permits to carry a firearm recognized under Pennsylvania law without a formal reciprocity agreement. 

Mods -- feel free to delete this post and my ID. Good luck and I hope you all stay out of jail.

5 hours ago, shiberm said:

Mods -- feel free to delete this post and my ID. 

The only thing you said that we all can get behind.  Good bye 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

I thought I was clear in my post above about why we don't contact certain people and ask certain questions. Example: Target has a $2,000.00 laptop on clearance for $1.00. A store shows 1 in stock, you call the store and ask the clerk to make sure the price is good and they have it.........You just lost it since you brought the mistake to their attention! Same effing thing here......... You have something good, then you bring it to the attention of someone who has the ability to take it away you just lost it! Eventually. you learn to keep your mouth shut!

I get what you guys are saying, it was just a question. When there is someone saying this is like this and others saying no this like this is important to get clarification. That's all. 

You never EVER call any police department or administrator to get an answer to something as grave as could be a felony.   

You have no idea who you are speaking to.  And 99% of the time whomever you are dealing with will give you their personal answer just for a matter of public safety.  

"Can i have my mags loaded in the trunk?"

"no"

"can I drive around wth an unloaded shotgun in my front seat?"

"no..... anything else I can help you with?"

and worst off all if you did get jammed up in something the "well I called the office and they told me it was okay" defense will  not save your ass.

You all seem to want it to be true so much that you are willing to accept anything that seems to prove your point.

Personally, I could care less because it doesn't affect me. I am just happy that my friends in NJ can legally carry again in PA. (for now) And if you really cared about your future freedoms you would move out of that god forsaken state.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shiberm said:

Wow some real militants here. 

My future freedom is very very important to me.  The point of the post was that on the PA government website firearms information section. It states that those agreements only apply to those people with residency in those states. 

Based on most of the replies -- there is no reason for that text to appear there. 

You all are convinced that the only thing that matters is that the NH reciprocity agreement  doesnt mention residency while some other do. And that since it does not mention it and those others do it must mean that it does not apply to the NH permit. 

That seems like a weak premise to base your future freedom on.. 

The text I copied and pasted is on the site and is part of the section that talks about PA's reciprocity agreements.

Not sure how anyone can read the following on the PA GOV firearms info site and not at least question it.

from "https://www.psp.pa.gov/firearms-information/Pages/Carrying-Firearms-in-Pennsylvania.aspx"

How can I find the most recent information regarding Firearm Reciprocity Agreements?

In 1995, the Pennsylvania General Assembly gave the Attorney General the authority to enter into reciprocity agreements with other states providing for the mutual recognition of each state’s license to carry a firearm. The most current information concerning what states have reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania is posted on the Attorney General’s website. To access this information on their web site, select “Crime” and from the drop down box select “Firearm Reciprocity”. From here you can view all the states that currently have reciprocity agreements with Pennsylvania along with a copy of the actual reciprocity agreements. All licenses issued by reciprocity states are recognized in Pennsylvania.

Other information included under “Firearm Reciprocity” is a list of states that allow individuals to carry concealed weapons in their state as long as they have a valid concealed weapons permit from their home state, regardless of whether or not there is a reciprocity agreement with that state. These states usually require the individual to have the actual permit and photo ID on their person while carrying the weapon. Note that to lawfully carry a concealed firearm in Pennsylvania, a person must either:

• 1 - possess a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms,
  • 2 - maintain residency in, and possess a valid license/permit to carry a firearm from a state with which Pennsylvania has a current reciprocity agreement or
  • 3 - fall within the applicable exceptions in 18 Pa. C.S. §6106(2)(b) as listed above, including §6106(2)(b)(15) regarding licenses/permits to carry a firearm recognized under Pennsylvania law without a formal reciprocity agreement. 

Mods -- feel free to delete this post and my ID. Good luck and I hope you all stay out of jail.

I agree...if you don't can't carry in your home state, you cannot carry in PA with a NH permit.

To back up my previous post, I quote the The Reciprocity Agreement between the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by and through the office of the Attorney General, and the State of New Hampshire by and through the Department of Safety.

"Whereas the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal firearm concealed carry permit/license privileges to the Citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,

Also, since I possess a Utah Concealed Carry Permit, I quote the PA Memorandum of Agreement between The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Utah concerning Licensed Reciprocity for Concealed Carry:

NOW, THEREFORE, the parties do agree as follows:

1.  The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall give full faith and credit to a valid Concealed Handgun License issued by the State of Utah to residents of the State of Utah; and,..."

That is crystal clear and says it all.  All you people that are trying to convince NJ residents that they are legal to conceal carry in PA with out-of-state permits from NH are wrong and suffer from terminal confirmation bias.

This also applies to the reciprocity agreements with Utah, Florida, Virginia, and maybe West Virginia (there is some code reference that may reflect residency, wouldn't trust this state's out-of-state license).

On the other hand, The PA agreement with Alaska contains no such residency requirement.

Nor does the agreement of reciprocity for Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, maybe West Virginia (see above), and Wyoming.

Look it up.  Lot of misinformation on this topic, reading the actual PA reciprocity agreements with each state carefully, will show which state PA doesn't care if you are a resident of as long as you have a permit issued by that state.

So unless one is willing to actually look at the legal PA reciprocity agreement for the state license they are trying to use, they should shut their pie hole and not convince naive people that they are legal when they may not be.  That is reckless and irresponsible.

Armed with this information, I will now investigate which of the above states with reciprocity agreements that PA does not specify residency requirement is the easiest to obtain.

Blue1

9 hours ago, Blue1 said:

To back up my previous post, I quote the The Reciprocity Agreement between the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania by and through the office of the Attorney General, and the State of New Hampshire by and through the Department of Safety.

"Whereas the purpose of this Reciprocity Agreement is to extend reciprocal firearm concealed carry permit/license privileges to the Citizens of the State of New Hampshire and the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania,

Also, since I possess a Utah Concealed Carry Permit, I quote the PA Memorandum of Agreement between The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and the State of Utah concerning Licensed Reciprocity for Concealed Carry:

NOW, THEREFORE, the parties do agree as follows:

1.  The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania shall give full faith and credit to a valid Concealed Handgun License issued by the State of Utah to residents of the State of Utah; and,..."

That is crystal clear and says it all.  All you people that are trying to convince NJ residents that they are legal to conceal carry in PA with out-of-state permits from NH are wrong and suffer from terminal confirmation bias.

This also applies to the reciprocity agreements with Utah, Florida, Virginia, and maybe West Virginia (there is some code reference that may reflect residency, wouldn't trust this state's out-of-state license).

On the other hand, The PA agreement with Alaska contains no such residency requirement.

Nor does the agreement of reciprocity for Arizona, Arkansas, Georgia, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, maybe West Virginia (see above), and Wyoming.

Look it up.  Lot of misinformation on this topic, reading the actual PA reciprocity agreements with each state carefully, will show which state PA doesn't care if you are a resident of as long as you have a permit issued by that state.

So unless one is willing to actually look at the legal PA reciprocity agreement for the state license they are trying to use, they should shut their pie hole and not convince naive people that they are legal when they may not be.  That is reckless and irresponsible.

Armed with this information, I will now investigate which of the above states with reciprocity agreements that PA does not specify residency requirement is the easiest to obtain.

Blue1

Wow!  Arkansas, Kentucky, Alaska, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wyoming. do NOT even offer non resident permits! Arizona, Utah, Florida and Virginia do, but PA does not recognize them.  You speak of misinformation and us shutting our pie holes, yet your last post was full of wrong information.

Texas and New Hampshire are the only non resident permits currently honored by PA that we in the PRNJ can get. For the Texas permit, you have to go there in person.

Go here for your answers. USA Carry 

This is great

NonResidentPermits.pdf

To the OP.

Recommend you not take the criticism personally and do become a supporter and contributor to this community.  There is much to be learned and many good people here.

With that said, I must say I  too cringed at the title of your post.  The declarative nature of it did not help this get off on the right foot.  (can that be re-worded?)

Regarding the other poster's suggestion to calling the PA AG's office for clarification, for the reasons others have already expressed; in this particular case, I too strongly view that as a very bad idea.

I would also like to draw your attention to the various very lengthy threads on NH permitting and recognition, as well as the discussion of this topic on quite a few GunForHire podcasts featuring Scott Bach and others.  You may find those resources helpful on this topic and more generally.  They, in their totality, have left me feeling confident of the NH permit's validity in Pa, without me personally playing lawyer and trying to analyze the wording of statutes and reciprocity agreements. 

• Like 1

I was in total devastation when Cane denied the Utah CCW back when... 

that was my lil taste of what a gun-toting free American truly felt like...  that sun felt good in my face... and working in N Philly... it came as a plus.... 

Since, I've learned to deny myself ...  other than to hope for HR38....

But learning of NH non-res CCW... well.. here comes the sun again...

• Like 2

On 5/20/2017 at 9:23 AM, JohnnyB said:

Wow!  Arkansas, Kentucky, Alaska, Georgia, Arkansas, Kentucky, Michigan, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Tennessee, West Virginia and Wyoming. do NOT even offer non resident permits! Arizona, Utah, Florida and Virginia do, but PA does not recognize them.  You speak of misinformation and us shutting our pie holes, yet your last post was full of wrong information.

Texas and New Hampshire are the only non resident permits currently honored by PA that we in the PRNJ can get. For the Texas permit, you have to go there in person.

Go here for your answers. USA Carry 

This is great

NonResidentPermits.pdf

Everything I said in my post was true, smart guy.  Carry concealed and get caught in PA with a non-resident NH carry permit and you get arrested.

I even quote the PA Reciprocity Agreement with NH that is published on the PA Attorney General Website.  What part of that is too complicated for you to understand?

Prove me wrong.  Walk into the AG’s office in Harrisburg and show them your handgun and your non-resident NH permit and see if you can walk away.

I never claimed the other states had non-resident CCW permits; I merely stated which states the PA Reciprocity agreements wording doesn’t specifically deny non-residents, and therefore I would need to investigate the easiest one to obtain.  Thanks for doing my research for me!

I stand by what I say…anyone that advocates PA carry with a non-resident NH permit is subjecting themselves or other gullible people to prosecution.  That is irresponsible and indefensible.

So I repeat:  shut your pie hole. 

Prove me wrong.  Walk into the AG’s office in Harrisburg and show them your handgun and your non-resident NH permit and see if you can walk away.

Actually, that wouldn't prove much, as I'm like 99% sure a civilian cannot conceal carry in a government owned/leased building in PA... but I'd want to actually look up the statutes before I'd say 100%. If you have a resident NH permit (or even a resident PA permit), you'd be arrested just the same.

If PAAG officials are answering inquiries about NH permits and stating that non-resident permits are honored... that is their interpretation of the agreement. I'm not a practicing lawyer in the state of PA, and doubt you are either.

2 hours ago, Blue1 said:

Everything I said in my post was true, smart guy.  Carry concealed and get caught in PA with a non-resident NH carry permit and you get arrested.

I even quote the PA Reciprocity Agreement with NH that is published on the PA Attorney General Website.  What part of that is too complicated for you to understand?

I never claimed the other states had non-resident CCW permits; I merely stated which states the PA Reciprocity agreements wording doesn’t specifically deny non-residents, and therefore I would need to investigate the easiest one to obtain.  Thanks for doing my research for me!

I stand by what I say…anyone that advocates PA carry with a non-resident NH permit is subjecting themselves or other gullible people to prosecution.  That is irresponsible and indefensible.

Soooooo What's Your Interpretation of the 2 email correspondence between NH non resident permit holders and the Pa AG office that are posted in this thread?

Fake news???

No offense but it seems like your trying pretty hard to not make any friends on this forum and your succeeding

• Like 5

First of all, the whole point of concealed carry is to keep it concealed so why in hell would you show anyone anyway? Second, are you really in belief that USA Carry is incorrect? Like others have said, you seem like you're trying to will something into existence. You're trolling hard, I'll give you that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Blue1 said:

We eat our own, here is a canibal right here.  Be aware, he is dangerous.

• Like 2

On 5/18/2017 at 7:18 AM, 67gtonut said:

No need to delete..... it was a statement. And I posted the reciprocity laws.... All is good

Troy,

This thread is the end result of folks on their phones (and home computers/laptops) NOT reading the other poster's comments.  Ray said it best:  "The Cannibals are among us"!   Name calling, childish behavior, and utter stupidity blended with naive gun owners, some of whom are probably trolls.  Maybe it's time to reconsider pulling the plug?

Rosey

• Like 1

Just now, Smokin .50 said:

Troy,

This thread is the end result of folks on their phones (and home computers/laptops) NOT reading the other poster's comments.  Ray said it best:  "The Cannibals are among us"!   Name calling, childish behavior, and utter stupidity blended with naive gun owners, some of whom are probably trolls.  Maybe it's time to reconsider pulling the plug?

Rosey

Agreed......

Another case of not being able to communicate like adults..... from both sides......