Scorpio64

Need BATF Letter on DoubleStar Carlson's Mini Comp

1 hour ago, Scorpio64 said:

An open end does not make a flash hider.  There is a BATF letter.  That's all I'm looking for.

Okay, was looking and can't find it either.

Not saying it is a flash hider, just saying I get why the gunsmith is asking for one though. 

Well, here you go.... a few mins of google and the source comes up.

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-198541.html

Greg himself posts about it.

Carlson Comps had submited the Mini Comp and the Carlson Comp for ATF approval 3 years ago when I got the company started for this reason. I have ATF compliant letters reflecting that these two devices are not flash hiders, thus, are legal to perm. install on your post ban firearm. Any questions can be directed to me, There is some good information on this subject, however, going back and forth with opinion(s) seems to cloud the ability to address the issue. Please feel free to contact me @ [email protected] with any concerns.

Thanks Greg

Heh....

The Carlson MINI Comp was only labled a comp for compliance issues with the ATF for classifacation. The device by nature has very little compensating ability, as it has a reduced internal surface area and open front (like a standard A2 flash hider). By design, it is so short that it can not divert muzzle balst effectivly, hence, it was not considered a flash hider per ATF. I would liken the effect of the MINI Comp to that of an AK slant brake. Hope this helps, feel free to contact me with any questions.

Thanks, 
Greg
Carlson Comps

https://www.northeastshooters.com/vbulletin/threads/177995-NRA-HP-Rules-gt-Compensator-removal-gt-Thread-protector-ok?p=2675195&viewfull=1#post2675195

It's funny.  I see this particular comp talked about all over the place and the key theme in all the talking is it's post ban compliance.  I've read in at least a half dozen other forums about it not being a flash hider and the mysterious ATF letter.  On the doublestar website is even specifically mentions that it is post awb compliant in the official product description.

I contacted doublestar and also MidwayUSA where I bought it and asked if they could conjure up a pdf of the letter.  I don't think the ATF keeps flash hider info on the page anymore because the AWB has expired and there's no reason to keep the unnecessary documents up any more.  Honestly, ya'd think something so frequently referenced would be easier to find.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scorpio64 said:

It's funny.  I see this particular comp talked about all over the place and the key theme in all the talking is it's post ban compliance.  I've read in at least a half dozen other forums about it not being a flash hider and the mysterious ATF letter.  On the doublestar website is even specifically mentions that it is post awb compliant in the official product description.

I contacted doublestar and also MidwayUSA where I bought it and asked if they could conjure up a pdf of the letter.  I don't think the ATF keeps flash hider info on the page anymore because the AWB has expired and there's no reason to keep the unnecessary documents up any more.  Honestly, ya'd think something so frequently referenced would be easier to find.

I would send an email to the owner, at least as of a few years ago he was active on various forums.

Not sure if he became Double Star, or he was acquired by them.

I tried doing various searches for .pdf files and came up short for now.  Can't believe so difficult.

If you cannot get a response... try posting on the NorthEast shooters message board, where Carlson is/was based out of and the state he made the comp for,  and see if anyone still has a copy. 

15 minutes ago, Scorpio64 said:

Here's the ATF letter stating the Carlson's Doublestar mini comp is NOT a flash hider.

Carlson ATF Letter PG2.pdf

Carlson ATF Letter.pdf

Can you recompile it as one document?  Will keep it pinned here for folks to use.

Glad you were able to find it... email Carlson?

That's the way I got it from Doublestar.  I don't know no nuthin bout combining pdfs  Pretty good response time from them.  Sent the message Saturday, got the response earlier today.It still cracks me up that every time this compensator is talked about, the atf letter is also brought up.  Yet, the actual letter was nowhere to be found.