Oogabooga

Moving to NJ from another state

Hey,

So I'm currently looking to move to NJ from Oregon at the end of the summer. I know I have sell my AR's but can I bring my bolt guns with me?

I understand I need a firearms purchase ID to buy guns in NJ but do I need one to bring the ones I have with me when I move?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You don't necessarily have to sell your AR15s unless they say "AR15" on it or M4/M16/etc.  You can make them NJ compliant by pinning stocks, removing bayonet lugs, and switching any flash hiders to muzzle brakes/compensators and pinning them on.

Bolt guns will be fine.

No restrictions on pump shotguns (besides federal barrel/OAL/etc).

Semi auto shotguns (not sure if you have any) have restrictions.

Sell off your AR mags and get some blocked 15 rounders.

No FPID (Firearms Purchaser Identification Card) is needed to bring in or possess any firearm.

While in NJ, a FPID is needed to

.... 1. acquire long guns

.... 3. acquire handgun ammo

.... 3. transport them to places other than

........ A. a gun store

........ B. a gun range

........ C. personally owned property

........ D. your place of business

Your ARs are fine if neutured. They can not have

.... 1. folding or collapsible stocks

.... 2. flash hiders

.... 3. threaded barrels

.... 4. bayonet lugs

Only the Colt AR-15 is banned by name.

Magazines must be "permamently altered" to 15 rounds or less.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Oogabooga said:

Did that. A fixer-upper-shanty under 1000 sq ft costs 350k + out here. It is as they say "shit".

Wow, even in Oregon? 

I guess we are so focused on the SF Bay Area, OC, LA, and Seattle, we forget the rest of PNW. 

1 hour ago, Oogabooga said:

How about long rifles with threaded barrels.

The wife and I are looking at Rahway, Nutley and I think Union. 

Homes where we are now are simply to expensive.

There is night and day difference between Nutley and Rahway/Union area. 

Just now, Oogabooga said:

Mainly Portland, a lot of people move up from the Bay paying cash and site unseen. There's only about 10% difference in cost of living between San Fran and Portland now.

That is insane to hear.... 

3 hours ago, Oogabooga said:

Rahway/Union area - don't.  I live in the area and hate it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, diamondd817 said:

There is night and day difference between Nutley and Rahway/Union area. 

I don't doubt when you say the homes where you are in Oregon are expensive.  But be sure to look at all expenses when coming to NJ.  Home owner's, Taxes, insurance, health care, beer, repair rates, food, etc.  In NJ sometimes we need a second mortgage in order to afford the first one.

9 hours ago, Oogabooga said:

Anything I should consider reconsider would be helpful we're planning to visit in the next couple of months to find a house.

Nutley is the much nicer of the 3 places you picked. But it all depends on your situation. Do you have kids and looking for good public schools? Are you going to be working in NYC or NJ? If NJ, where? What's your budget? Do you want a big property? A little more info and we can point you to better towns to pick from.

12 hours ago, Oogabooga said:

I lived in Nutley for years.  Nice little town very commutable to NYC. 

10 hours ago, Maksim said:

That is insane to hear.... 

Same in Seattle. 

Welcome to the forums, and my condolences on your future move to this gun-hating state. I would highly recommend getting Attorney Evan Nappen's book and read/memorize it. NJ doesn't mess around when it comes to ruining your life if you make one little mistake with your guns. As far as I am aware, every NJ state "gun crime" is a felony level crime with a minimum mandatory 3-5 years (even simple possession), so beware. 

13 hours ago, Oogabooga said:

You only need to worry about threaded barrels on semi autos. All non semi auto long guns are legal as long as they are not NFA short barrel rifles or shotguns.

If the long gun is semi auto you need to pay the "evil features" game, there are pinned threads on this forum explaining how that works.

Nutley is a nice area. I currently live in Weehawken because of the ease to get to and home from work at all hours. If you have normal working hours 8-5 ish then Nutley is zero problem commuting to the city.

Definitely look at all expenses. I pay 6x more for the exact same car insurance since moving to this state, and btw my car is obviously older since moving here. 

8 hours ago, BobA said:

I don't doubt when you say the homes where you are in Oregon are expensive.  But be sure to look at all expenses when coming to NJ.  Home owner's, Taxes, insurance, health care, beer, repair rates, food, etc.  In NJ sometimes we need a second mortgage in order to afford the first one.

And consider quality of life.  I am biased, but I always feel the west coast, especially PNW, people are much friendlier, the climate is mild, I love the mountains, forest, and natural areas out there; and the PNW/Alaska seafood is hard to beat.

And I believe that even ultrliberal Washington and Oregon still have better gun laws than PRNJ.  Although Washington is chipping away at them.

Oregonians being friendlier is definitely a myth. I've lived in NYC and I believe New Yorkers are friendly and will say what they mean, there are a lot of passive a holes here and little boys with beards pretending to be men. 

Finding a job that pays above $10ph and isn't in the service industry is near impossible unless you  bring your job with you. Generally Portland is very segregated.

Houses selling for between 50k - 100k over the asking price is normal. 

Basically Portlandia encouraged a lot of trust fund babies and hipsters to move out here at the bequest of Mayor Sam Adams to gentrify the city, which until the 90's was still a sundown town. This screwed everybody who didn't have 500k to spend on a shed with in an inside bathroom.

On 5/21/2017 at 11:12 AM, Nickjc said:

Yes by all means.....a different state.

I have been here 23 years ....loved it...notice the past tense.

There is no compelling reason to move to this state....even beyond the 2a issue.

Look elsewhere.....   :)

My wife is from NY, which we cannot afford and have no desire to move to. We're also looking at Connecticut. 

NJ is cheaper to in live than Portland, which might surprise some people and it is slowly becoming more and more like CA. FTF sales were banned here a dew years ago.I work in the city so a rural commute is out of the question.

We're also expecting our first child and my wife wants to be close to family for the first couple of years.

What are Union and Rahway like? Is there another part of NJ you'd recommend.

If you're not set on North Jersey...your dollar goes A LOT further in Gloucester and Salem counties. That goes for the for the actual cost of a home and the property taxes. They're an easy commute to Philadelphia. Salem county is almost completely rural while Gloucester is mostly suburbs.

Western NJ, Central Jersey, and South. Far cheaper and more space/land, etc.

If you must be closer to NYC.... Clark, Springfield are good choices in the Union/Rahway area....   Keep in mind, you are paying for the privlidge of being closer to NYC.

If you do not need to be, and especially with the transporation options such as Coach buses and trains... you can expand your horizons. =)

57 minutes ago, Oogabooga said:

We're also expecting our first child and my wife wants to be close to family for the first couple of years.

What are Union and Rahway like? Is there another part of NJ you'd recommend.

Entitled, rude, crowded.  I'm in Linden so right next to Rahway and Union.  I can't stand it here - Will be moving to another section of NJ in a month or so.  Like Maks said, Clark is better.  Westfield as well.  

If you want a really good area that's commutable to NYC easily, look at Summit.  Expensive but great schools and a direct train line to NYC.

Further out you go the better though....  I'll be in Bridgewater shortly.  There's transit to NYC though not as easily accessible.... but the option is there.

Union and Rahway would be terrible places to live... if you're serious about moving to Jersey you really need to visit first.  I suggest something south or west of rt 287 (clinton, readington, flemington, etc, or around rt 195 (farmingdale, allentown).  Get outta the ghetto city and in to more of the country.  Steer clear of Jackson or Lakewood.