Oogabooga

Moving to NJ from another state

In no way will living in NJ be cheaper than living in Oregon.   Portland housing is expensive, but not when you compare it to the expensive communities in NJ.   And medium-price homes in NJ cost more than medium-price homes in Oregon.  Ditto for low-end homes.   Across the board, it's going to cost more here.   And the state kinda sucks...  

I'm from the pacific northwest.  Not a day goes by that I'm not dreaming of getting back there.

Sort of surprised no one's pointed to this link:  The NJ State Police information page.

Evan Nappan's book is excellent on NJ gun laws.  If you ever get a chance to hear him speak, it's worth it.  He's quite a character.

I'm in Hamilton NJ.  Allentown and Farmingdale were mentioned.  All good.  The farther away from NYC, the better.  Do a little sidestep around Trenton and Camden, though.

Used to live in upstate NY and have many relatives still there.  Not at all expensive, but the NY "Safe Act" has ruined it for AR owners.  You could think about PA, too. 

Sell off your AR mags and get some blocked 15 rounders

Or just modify them permanently to 15 rounds.

http://www.magazineblocks.com/magento/products/magblock-kits/ar15-magblocks.html

Epoxying the floor plate on makes it a permeant modification. JB Weld will do it.

I lived in Nutley for 22 years. nice town, taxes a bit high. But it has a good school system.

1 hour ago, 10X said:

In no way will living in NJ be cheaper than living in Oregon.   Portland housing is expensive, but not when you compare it to the expensive communities in NJ.   And medium-price homes in NJ cost more than medium-price homes in Oregon.  Ditto for low-end homes.   Across the board, it's going to cost more here.   And the state kinda sucks...  

I'm from the pacific northwest.  Not a day goes by that I'm not dreaming of getting back there.

These days a low priced home in Portland is 375k way out in the numbers. And you have to be prepared to be able to outbid a lot of people and it's getting worse.

On 5/21/2017 at 6:09 PM, Oogabooga said:

Oregonians being friendlier is definitely a myth. I've lived in NYC and I believe New Yorkers are friendly and will say what they mean, there are a lot of passive a holes here and little boys with beards pretending to be men.

Yes, in my experience, New Yorkers are quite friendly and direct.  It is the New Jersey people who are A holes ;-)  Present company excluded of course

I grew up in Washington (north of Seattle) and I do understand what you are saying--people have a faux politeness, try to avoid confrontation and be agreeable vs. the directness on the east coast.  But I moved the east about 25 years ago, and things have changed quite a bit in the PNW.  We got the influx of Californians in the late 1980s--paying cash for houses and driving the market way way up.  So I still blame those transplants for all the bad things that happen in Washington.

Transplants from California and flippers are what have been driving the housing market out of control here now. Houses in Gresham towards mt hood go for north of $350k +  in the blink of an eye and there are two or three shootings in that town every week.

I see houses in okay neighborhoods close to busy roads listed for $500 - $650k + and they barely have a yard. Add to that the scarcity of decent job or growth opportunities, there is no reason why real estate is so pricey here.

On 5/22/2017 at 5:13 PM, Krdshrk said:

Entitled, rude, crowded.  I'm in Linden so right next to Rahway and Union.  I can't stand it here - Will be moving to another section of NJ in a month or so.  Like Maks said, Clark is better.  Westfield as well.  

If you want a really good area that's commutable to NYC easily, look at Summit.  Expensive but great schools and a direct train line to NYC.

Further out you go the better though....  I'll be in Bridgewater shortly.  There's transit to NYC though not as easily accessible.... but the option is there.

Duh, Westfield... forgot that one. =)

On 5/22/2017 at 9:16 PM, Oogabooga said:

Thanks for the help and advise guys I appreciate it. 

Have you considered moving to PA? Conceal carry reciprocity with some 32+ states, very good gun laws, lower property taxes, lower income tax (above 50K), etc. Just a thought as you can get to most places in NJ from 2 minutes to 1.5 hours...

On 5/25/2017 at 8:06 PM, HBecwithFn7 said:

Or Warren County... Hackettstown, Independence, Liberty, Washington Twp. are all friendly.

Not quite. If your anything other than white I would recommend staying away from Oxford.

South main street in Phillipsburg is a shit hole and I would never live there. 

Dont get me wrong, I really like Warren County but there are a few sections I would not live in. 

58 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Not quite. If your anything other than white I would recommend staying away from Oxford.

South main street in Phillipsburg is a shit hole and I would never live there. 

Dont get me wrong, I really like Warren County but there are a few sections I would not live in. 

I was referring to the LEAs in these towns  being "2A friendly" when it comes to the FPID/P2P process. I've not heard of any municipality (other than, perhaps, those covered by the NJSP) having any trouble delivering their docs on time and without extra hassle, etc.

Are you saying that "other than white" residents in places like Oxford are at greater risk living there?  From the other residents?  From LE?   I happen to know of at least one African American gentleman (from a rather prominent NJ business family) that owns a farm in Oxford and has been there for several years.  No complaints that I know of.

Now, P'Burg,..   I would concur about the risk level being elevated, there. The one and only time I actually served on a jury in Warren County involved a 2nd degree assault & PDW (a box cutter blade).  The victim and defendant were both "gang bangers" from a local biker gang in P'Burg (the defendant was actually a "prodigal alumnus" living out of state, at the time).  It wasn't pretty.  Too bad the prosecutor didn't have a case worth spit. But I suspect charges were filed anyway because the DA at the time was from P'Burg, and was, perhaps, attempting to quell "community frustrations" as it were...  :dontknow:

33 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

I was referring to the LEAs in these towns  being "2A friendly" when it comes to the FPID/P2P process. I've not heard of any municipality (other than, perhaps, those covered by the NJSP) having any trouble delivering their docs on time and without extra hassle, etc.

Are you saying that "other than white" residents in places like Oxford are at greater risk living there?  From the other residents?  From LE?   I happen to know of at least one African American gentleman (from a rather prominent NJ business family) that owns a farm in Oxford and has been there for several years.  No complaints that I know of.

Now, P'Burg,..   I would concur about the risk level being elevated, there. The one and only time I actually served on a jury in Warren County involved a 2nd degree assault & PDW (a box cutter blade).  The victim and defendant were both "gang bangers" from a local biker gang in P'Burg (the defendant was actually a "prodigal alumnus" living out of state, at the time).  It wasn't pretty.  Too bad the prosecutor didn't have a case worth spit. But I suspect charges were filed anyway because the DA at the time was from P'Burg, and was, perhaps, attempting to quell "community frustrations" as it were...  :dontknow:

I was referring to the residents. The KKK is very much still active in Oxford. Ask your friend, I'm sure he has to put up with some shit. I've run into issues when I was working outside everyday and very tan and was driving a low rider truck at the time. They (several of the neighbors) thought I was Hispanic, made for an interesting job sight........

But yeah guns are normal in Warren County not many antis up there!

6 minutes ago, fishnut said:

I was referring to the residents. The KKK is very much still active in Oxford. Ask your friend, I'm sure he has to put up with some shit. I've run into issues when I was working outside everyday and very tan and was driving a low rider truck at the time. They (several of the neighbors) thought I was Hispanic, made for an interesting job sight........

Interesting... In the 23+ years I lived in Warren County, I had not heard peep one about the KKK being anywhere, there. Not to say they aren't there, but they must be extremely quiet/private in order to escape media and LE attention.  I think my friend would be just fine.  He knows how to defend himself and his property.  I certainly didn't have any issues where I lived and traveled. Then again, these were the more "industrial" parts of Warren County... where the factories would hire a rather "diverse" crowd.  

You would be surprised how many KKK type groups are out there. My dad once tried to join a range near his property outside Ft Bragg. First question they asked if he had an ancestor who fought for the confederacy in the "war of northern aggression." Then they started explaining some of the requirements and said they were the sons of whatever, dropping hints about it. Less than half hour from my parents' property and we never knew all these years.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Sevenshot said:

You would be surprised how many KKK type groups are out there. My dad once tried to join a range near his property outside Ft Bragg. First question they asked if he had an ancestor who fought for the confederacy in the "war of northern aggression." Then they started explaining some of the requirements and said they were the sons of whatever, dropping hints about it. Less than half hour from my parents' property and we never knew all these years.

I don't deny that they're out there. I'm saying only that I didn't see evidence of them where I used to live.  That could be because there wasn't as big a population there, where I lived, or they've gone well "under cover" and avoid doing things that would expose them, publicly.  Sounds like it was more the latter.   But that's what's happened nationally with such groups.  We don't see reports much anymore about public demonstrations or white hoods, or burning anything. They've learned the most valuable Monty Python lesson about "not being seen..."  and about what the media will do with the kind of "imagery" those groups were offering.

I'd like to see some of our pro-2A brethren learn similar lessons, although certainly not with the same objectives as KKK type groups. It's all about the imagery and how the media exploits it.  

6 minutes ago, Oogabooga said:

So after some tyre kicking with the wife it looks like we'll be moving to PA. Apparently NJ property taxes are stupid too. 

We're looking at

Chichester

Brookhaven

Secane

Folsom

Glenside

Jenkintown

Media

Morton

Ridley Park

All in PA 

I wouldn't know about places in PA. Without any other factors considered, I'd say go with what's closest to work or whatever it is for which you were considering NJ. 

If you need a realtor there, try Karen Horn.  She works out of the "Blue Bell" area.  That might be a bit further south than you need to be, but she may know others in the area. 

• Like 1

Of the towns you mention in PA the only on I'd consider is Upper Chichester, but only the north western edge. Media is in one of the worst areas of traffic hell, and the rest of the towns you mentioned SW of Philly are a white trash nightmare with horrid schools. I don't really know anything about Glenside, but it's right next to Jenkintown so that's a no as well. You need a sizable buffer between the town you choose to reside in and Philadelphia.