Foxhunter

When you get pulled over ?

I've never been asked whether I have any guns in the vehicle, but I wonder if responding with "I don't have anything illegal in the vehicle" would fly? You're sort of evading the question, and I'm sure some officers would catch it, but as long as you're within an exemption, you're not lying. Your next step would obviously be to politely decline any requests to search you or your vehicle.

The biggest thing IMO is to drive within the laws so you don't get pulled over in the first place. Then, don't give the officer probable cause, i.e. keep the inside of your car clean, and make sure your guns are cased (but not in "gun cases") or, ideally, in the trunk where s/he cannot see them.

• Like 4

I've been driving for nearly 50 years, and have been pulled over by police a number of times.  But I have never been asked if I had firearms in my car.  I supposed when they ask where you're coming from (as they almost always seem to do), and you say you're returning from a gun range, that might be a logical question.  

33 minutes ago, mattm754 said:

I've never been asked whether I have any guns in the vehicle, but I wonder if responding with "I don't have anything illegal in the vehicle" would fly? You're sort of evading the question, and I'm sure some officers would catch it, but as long as you're within an exemption, you're not lying. Your next step would obviously be to politely decline any requests to search you or your vehicle.

I had not thought of that response, but I kind of like it.  

If a cop has probable cause to search your vehicle, nothing you say can stop it.

If a cop does not have probable cause to search your vehicle, don't open your mouth and give it to him.

Be kind, be polite and if you must, invoke your 6th amendment(right to an attorney) since the supreme court has already gutted the 5th(i.e. silence in the face of questioning is an indicator of guilt).

The easiest way to do this is simply to answer a question with a question and change the topic.

"Do you have any firearms in your vehicle?"

"You know, I've always wanted one like that guy had in the movie predator.  What'd he call it? ole painless?  That'd be cool, I could start my own tree trimming business.  You ever shoot one of those?  I bet its very loud.  They have those at your academy?"

I've been asked but only because I was rear ended coming home from shooting clays. 3 shotguns in the front passenger compartment of my jeep. 2 in socks and 1 with no case, all unloaded. Cop looked at the guns and asked me if they were unloaded which I responded yes because they were. That was the end of the discussion about guns. 

Honestly I hope I get pulled over one day and some rookie cop decides to arrest me for legally transporting guns. I'll pull a Mr Dow and fall and break my jaw. When my lawyer is done with them I'll open the first NJGF range and you all can come and shoot for free! 

• Like 9

I understand not answering the question about having a gun in the car and how it would give the cop probable cause to search your car. But what if he asks where are you going or where are you coming from, which they most always do? If you say you are coming from or going to the range, it can be reasonably assumed you have a gun in your car, wont that give the cop probable cause to search you car? If you do have a gun in the car and are going to the range, you don't want to lie just in case he finds probably cause to search you car.  If you said you were going somewhere else, you lost your exemption for transporting the gun.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, jcc said:

I understand not answering the question about having a gun in the car and how it would give the cop probable cause to search your car. But what if he asks where are you going or where are you coming from, which they most always do? If you say you are coming from or going to the range, it can be reasonably assumed you have a gun in your car, wont that give the cop probable cause to search you car? If you do have a gun in the car and are going to the range, you don't want to lie just in case he finds probably cause to search you car.  If you said you were going somewhere else, you lost your exemption for transporting the gun.

Exercising your right to remain silent does not give a police officer probable cause to search your car

Telling a police officer that you have a gun in your car also would not give them probable cause to search your car unless you were a known prohibited person.

If it is legal for you to own why would it give police officers probable cause to search your vehicle if you have it in your vehicle and tell the truth when asked. 

So much paranoia in this thread!

• Like 6

1 hour ago, tattooo said:

I've had an officer ask but tried to make it seem jokingly.... do you have any guns, knives, bazookas ? or something to that effect.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I usually ask when I am searching someone: "Do you have anything on you or in your pockets that can hurt me? Box cutter from work, needles, hand grenades, nuclear bombs?" This usually gets a chuckle and I can feel the tension go out of the person I am searching. If I don't feel that relaxation, it's a clue.

28 minutes ago, fishnut said:

Exercising your right to remain silent does not give a police officer probable cause to search your car

Telling a police officer that you have a gun in your car also would not give them probable cause to search your car unless you were a known prohibited person.

If it is legal for you to own why would it give police officers probable cause to search your vehicle if you have it in your vehicle and tell the truth when asked. 

So much paranoia in this thread!

:facepalm:

So much derp in this thread.

Telling a cop you have a gun in the car is not PC to search anything.

Fishnut is dead nuts right.

It's easy - Transport within the law. Don't lie. You have nothing to worry about.

• Like 8

20 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

I usually ask when I am searching someone: "Do you have anything on you or in your pockets that can hurt me? Box cutter from work, needles, hand grenades, nuclear bombs?" This usually gets a chuckle and I can feel the tension go out of the person I am searching. If I don't feel that relaxation, it's a clue.

It's easy - Transport within the law. Don't lie. You have nothing to worry about.

You guys realize they wear underwear  and socks Jus like us? It's job.

unless you got an Rpg or sumtin.

cannons are legal. Looked it up

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jcc said:

But what if he asks where are you going or where are you coming from, which they most always do? 

"I'm meeting some friends in Old Bridge*"

*Or wherever else your range is located. 

3 hours ago, jcc said:

OFFICER:  where are you heading tonight?

ME:  im sorry officer, I don't answer questions.  Am i being detained or am i free to go?

Repeat as necessary.  I have done it.

Sorry @High Exposure, no disrespect.  

Yeah, it made me laugh and is totally disarming.....

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

ME:  im sorry officer, I don't answer questions.  Am i being detained or am i free to go?

No worries. I can deal with that in a very professional and legal manner as well.

If you see lights behind your car and you are being pulled over you can be assured you are being detained - I always get a kick out of people that ask that. 

There are times when "Am I being detained?" is a completely appropriate question that should be asked if there is some ambiguity regarding what is happening. A single car stop (vs a checkpoint) is not one of those times.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

" interfering with an investigation "

58 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

No worries. I can deal with that in a very professional and legal manner as well.

If you see lights behind your car and you are being pulled over you can be assured you are being detained - I always get a kick out of people that ask that. 

There are times when "Am I being detained?" is a completely appropriate question that should be asked if there is some ambiguity regarding what is happening. A single car stop (vs a checkpoint) is not one of those times.

And if I'm being detained, I don't answer questions without my lawyer present.  Thanks 

@High Exposure, again no disrespect.

23 hours ago, Barms said:

Someone call the AG and ask if it's illegal to lie to a cop.

I see what you did there.  

Actually, as far as I know, I don't think it's illegal to lie to the police.  Yes, definitely against the law to lie to the FBI.

I'm not a lawyer, so don't bet too much on this.  

H.E.

Keeping in mind that not all cops are as 2A minded as you are, How would YOU suggest we handle a car stop if asked do you have any guns in the vehicle? I often travel to PA or DE with my handgun properly stored in my trunk. I am not going to a range, but to a state where I am permitted to carry.

If asked I probably would answer yes and say I am on my way to a range in Philly. How should I handle this?