Foxhunter

When you get pulled over ?

IMHO, until they ask you to step out of the car... these are the rules I follow

1.  Be polite

2. Follow Directions

3. Provide identification

4. Offer no other information, dont deny anything, dont admit anything, dont confess anything.

5. Do not consent to searches.

6. Hope you just get a ticket and can move on with your life, $200 poorer.

After they ask you to get out of your car, and before they start tearing it apart with a dog... you might want to let them know what they will find. HAHAH  Chances are it will never come to that.

5 hours ago, JohnnyB said:

H.E.

Keeping in mind that not all cops are as 2A minded as you are, How would YOU suggest we handle a car stop if asked do you have any guns in the vehicle? I often travel to PA or DE with my handgun properly stored in my trunk. I am not going to a range, but to a state where I am permitted to carry.

If asked I probably would answer yes and say I am on my way to a range in Philly. How should I handle this?

Use your best judgement. Don't answer questions not asked. Be polite. Keep in mind the cop is just a guy or girl doing a job - It isn't personal.

Whatever you do - Don't lie. The fastest way to Reasonable Suspicion is to get caught in a lie. From RS it is usually a short trip to PC.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, fishnut said:

Exercising your right to remain silent does not give a police officer probable cause to search your car

Telling a police officer that you have a gun in your car also would not give them probable cause to search your car unless you were a known prohibited person.

If it is legal for you to own why would it give police officers probable cause to search your vehicle if you have it in your vehicle and tell the truth when asked. 

So much paranoia in this thread!

NJ gun owners have a reason to be paranoid, the penalty in this state for simple unlawful possession of a hand gun is quite severe. Mandatory 5 years in prison with possibility of parole in 3 and the Graves Act does not allow the Judge any discretion in sentencing. The only defense may be a claim of an illegal search.

Coincidentally, I just got pulled over again this morning.  I had just left my house, running late for work, and as I went a little too quickly up the hill around the corner from my house, I spotted the unmarked car of our local PD.  When I saw him pull out, I immediately pulled over and got my documents ready.  He was polite and professional, and when I explained my situation, he treated me kindly.  I expressed my sincere gratitude.

The unloaded shotgun in the back of my vehicle was never a subject of conversation.  

• Like 5

2 hours ago, jcc said:

NJ gun owners have a reason to be paranoid, the penalty in this state for simple unlawful possession of a hand gun is quite severe. Mandatory 5 years in prison with possibility of parole in 3 and the Graves Act does not allow the Judge any discretion in sentencing. The only defense may be a claim of an illegal search.

Not really, the laws is written in plain English. While I may not agree with them all it's really easy to follow them.

Follow the law and there is no need to be paranoid. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Old Glock guy said:

I had just left my house, running late for work, and as I went a little too quickly up the hill around the corner from my house, I spotted the unmarked car of our local PD.  

I was under the assumption unmarked police vehicles cannot pull over drivers.  @High Exposure

On 5/23/2017 at 2:17 PM, fishnut said:

Not really, the laws is written in plain English. While I may not agree with them all it's really easy to follow them.

Follow the law and there is no need to be paranoid. 

Unless you have to pee on the way home from the range.

You'd be surprised at what the local cops know about you, your family, your friends, anyone you ever lent $5 to.

in my experience, if you're not a shitbag you have nothing to worry about.  Relax.

We so self-abuse that we wring our hands over the littlest things. Try a little thought perspective : put yourself in the cop's shoes, all you want to do is your job, which is tough enough, and get home to your family and that beer. Then some guys from Pa in a suburban that is wrapped in "Molón Labe",  cold dead fingers and such shit  trying to cross the tunnel  into NYC.  You're gonna ask the question and your day just got real complicated.

on the other hand, you're having a nice free donut yesterday, sitting by the side of the road and some guys in "their wife's" minivan roll through a stop sign in Bridgewater. You put the Boston creme down and do what you have to do.  Soccer sticker, clean license... you know why I pulled you over? 

Don't say:

"Because I'm on the way to the range and I h ave 14 guns and 3k rounds of ammo and  you're anti 2nd amendment."

Say:

"because I'm an idiot and rolled through a stop sign?"

the cop says be careful next time, or you're getting a ticket. Goes back to the cruiser, runs your license, you're not a shit bag, gives you back your stuff, "stay safe out there" he's 20 minutes closer to that beer.

Although the legislators we elected have written laws to use against us law abiding criminals, cops didn't. 

Use your best judgement

dont be an asshole 

Keep your mouth shut

(and hope the chick you have duct taped in the trunk doesn't kick the inside of the car.)

the above "rolling through a stop sign" story is true. Except for the duct tape.  

• Like 3

I see what you did there.  
Actually, as far as I know, I don't think it's illegal to lie to the police.  Yes, definitely against the law to lie to the FBI.
I'm not a lawyer, so don't bet too much on this.  

It is a misdemeanor level offense to lie to the police in NJ. It is in the NJ Code.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

You'd be surprised at what the local cops know about you, your family, your friends, anyone you ever lent $5 to.
in my experience, if you're not a shitbag you have nothing to worry about.  Relax.
We so self-abuse that we wring our hands over the littlest things. Try a little thought perspective : put yourself in the cop's shoes, all you want to do is your job, which is tough enough, and get home to your family and that beer. Then some guys from Pa in a suburban that is wrapped in "Molón Labe",  cold dead fingers and such shit  trying to cross the tunnel  into NYC.  You're gonna ask the question and your day just got real complicated.
on the other hand, you're having a nice free donut yesterday, sitting by the side of the road and some guys in "their wife's" minivan roll through a stop sign in Bridgewater. You put the Boston creme down and do what you have to do.  Soccer sticker, clean license... you know why I pulled you over? 
Don't say:
"Because I'm on the way to the range and I h ave 14 guns and 3k rounds of ammo and  you're anti 2nd amendment."
Say:
"because I'm an idiot and rolled through a stop sign?"
the cop says be careful next time, or you're getting a ticket. Goes back to the cruiser, runs your license, you're not a shit bag, gives you back your stuff, "stay safe out there" he's 20 minutes closer to that beer.
Although the legislators we elected have written laws to use against us law abiding criminals, cops didn't. 
Use your best judgement
dont be an asshole 
Keep your mouth shut
(and hope the chick you have duct taped in the trunk doesn't kick the inside of the car.)
the above "rolling through a stop sign" story is true. Except for the duct tape.  

Used rope eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, The brew guy said:

Unless you have to pee on the way home from the range.

Ummm bodily functions definitely falls under reasonable deviations. I usually do have to pee on the way home from EFGA.........pops has a decent beer selection 

13 minutes ago, High Exposure said:

The lights and sirens. ;)

Can't a mafia install these toys?  You can argue that they can also re-paint a car as a police, but it would be too easy to spot for the real LEO.
I can understand that FBI/CIA/NSA don't need to introduce themselves to everyone.  But local and state police must be clear and in the open.

9 minutes ago, 67gtonut said:

The mafia pulls over people with light and sirens?

Hmm...  Probably not.  I'm not a person of any mafia interest anyway.  Neither of LEO, I assume.  Still, don't like the unmarked vehicles.  For me, it's in the same moral category as "police can lie to you".

1 hour ago, Michael2013 said:

Can't a mafia install these toys?  You can argue that they can also re-paint a car as a police, but it would be too easy to spot for the real LEO.
I can understand that FBI/CIA/NSA don't need to introduce themselves to everyone.  But local and state police must be clear and in the open.

I believe impersonating a police officer is a federal crime.

when that damn whale swam up the DE river. Every asshole and there mother was jamming up the overlook on 295. Some volunteer firefighter got the brain trust idea to throw on his rollers. Saw it 3 times( dif days)

he got busted on the 4th

7 hours ago, Michael2013 said:

Okay, first of all you will never be pulled over by the CIA or NSA.  State and local guys can use unmarked cars.  They don't have to be "clear and open".  Some PDs have policies where they don't use unmarked cars for traffic enforcement. That doesn't mean one of their unmarked cars can't stop you for a traffic violation.

FBI, USSS, USMS, HSI, USPIS, IRS, National Marine Fisheries Service, and all Federal investigative agencies all use unmarked cars equipped with lights and sirens.  They don't do traffic enforcement but you have to stop for them.

Some Federal agencies have unique search authority.  CBP, HSI, USBP,  some DEA agents, and any state or local with cross designation as a Customs Officer can search your vehicle or even you without PC if certain conditions are met. Many of these conditions can be met anywhere, even NJ.  When it comes to boats the same applies to commissioned, warrant, and petty officers.

There have been incidents in more rural states where some cretin would put on a red light, make people stop because they thought he was a cop, and rob them. This is not as widespread as some think but it has happened.

War story.  When I worked in AZ in the 70s one night I wanted to stop a car going north from the border   Not for a MV violation.  I'm in plainclothes and an unmarked pickup.  Put on my red light, they keep going. Tap my siren, they keep going.  When I was on a local pd I had drunks that did this for awhile.  This was in the desert.  Literally nothing for over 20 miles in each direction.  This guy kept driving a 55 mph. Didn't try to get away.  I called ahead to the Sheriff's Office for an assist, they sent a marked car south, and after following this guy for 10 miles with my red light on he finally stopped for the marked SO car.  Turned out they didnt do anything.  Old guy and his wife who were afraid they were going to be robbed.  The deputy and I both told them they did the right thing under those circumstances.

Incidents of this type were not unusual when I worked in AZ.

• Like 4