Foxhunter

When you get pulled over ?

Well said, the infrequent amount if times I have been pulled over I was always completely honest and apologetic and have not had a problem. As I said before the " do you know why I pulled you over ? " is rhetorical .....too many people insult the officers intelligence and set a bad tone by playing the dumb @ss card

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

I got pulled over not long ago by an unmarked car. I was in an industrial area and had just left the car wash when I noticed a big drop of water on my otherwise perfectly shiny hood. I got the bright idea of going 80mph in a 35mph zone to let the wind blow it off.  He was pissed when he walked up to my car and immediately told him  "I can't believe how STUPID I was for doing that!"  I told him the truth that I was trying to blow the water drop off of my car.  He started laughing and said he had not heard that one before.  He let me go and told me not to try that again.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, tattooo said:

Being silent when you clearly just got bagged doing 80 in a 35...how can I put it politely ? That is a not so smart fix that will guarantee you a ticket.... but to each is own

Doing 80 in a 35 is inexcusable, so why open your mouth and make it worse.  Take your ticket and drive home.

The whole point I tried to make is that by being honest with the COP,  a fellow human being, turned out to indeed be the best strategy since I walked away without a ticket! Cops are human too and admitting you made a stupid mistake can often diffuse the situation!

Even though I deserved one, I got no ticket!

The whole point I tried to make is that by being honest with the COP,  a fellow human being, turned out to indeed be the best strategy since I walked away without a ticket! Cops are human too and admitting you made a stupid mistake can often diffuse the situation!
Even though I deserved one, I got no ticket!

I totally get it...Ray on the other hand....meh

• Like 2

Doing 80 in a 35 is inexcusable, so why open your mouth and make it worse.  Take your ticket and drive home.

Once again you don't make any sense....how would opening your mouth to be honest make anything worse ? In fact it can and did go uphill as johnnyb's previous post explained.

6 hours ago, tattooo said:

Once again you don't make any sense....how would opening your mouth to be honest make anything worse ? In fact it can and did go uphill as johnnyb's previous post explained.

What?

DON'T GO 80 IN A 35!  SHUT YOUR TRAP, TAKE YOUR TICKET AND DRIVE HOME.  

2 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

What?

Why is this good advice?

Above you is a post  by JohnnyB relating a time when he was stopped. His account shows that your advice may not be the best course of action.

Now, I agree, don't go 80 in a 35. It's dangerous for you and for other drivers.

But whatever, he did. When stopped he was honest, forthcoming, and treated the Police officer like a decent, reasonable human being, and didn't behave like an asshole. Guess what? He didn't get a ticket.

What makes your way so great other than it is YOUR way?

I guarantee that based on my training and the guidelines used for when to issue a ticket vs a warning - Someone that shows no awareness of what they have done, offers no legitimate reason for doing it, and demonstrates that the fact that they were stopped and I am now talking to you about the infraction isn't enough of an educational experience to ensure you won't do it again, will get a ticket every time.

But you do your silly shit Ray. Act like an ass, get your ticket, and drive home. It's all good. 

No offense @Ray Ray

• Like 4

My simple steps for being pulled over:

1) Be polite

2) Be Respectful

3) Keep your hands on the steering wheel. For night stops, turn on interior light.

4) Give credentials only when asked for them

5) Give direct answers to direct questions. No more; no less. 

Has worked nearly ever time for me. 

S.

• Like 2

Many ,many, many years ago I got clipped for doing 95 in a 55 by a State Trooper . He was hiding by a overpass as I went by and we looked at each other.It took him a while to catch up to me but I was already on the side of the road with paperwork in hand.

He walks up and says"do you know how fast you were going?

I said "Exactly Officer"

Only wrote if for 75 in a 55 or he would have had to arrest me. Never said anything else but "Try to slow down"

This thread contains a lot of both good and bad advice. These issues should be viewed from a minimum of two perspectives: Common sense (which unfortunately is uncommon) and the likely legal ramifications. The end result is usually variable based upon the actors involved, the time, place, circumstances, training, and perception of the parties. Unrelated events, of which you may be entirely unaware may also influence the outcome which is also variable.  Therefore universal rules may or may not result in a favorable outcome for you. You may be correct, or incorrect, in your assumption as to why you are being stopped unless it so obvious as to leave no doubt. I think the last two posts, are right on the money, although the advice is not completely consistent.  If you have a clear head and realize that more is at stake for you than a motor vehicle summons because you are likely in violation of an actual criminal law, then I would suggest you exercise your rights against self-incrimination but do not do so in a hostile manner.

What?

I don't get how you reject basic logic despite others experpiences and cannot admit when you say something dumb as hell. Hope your not in the legal field with the advice you give.

Once again things go south. There is a legitimate question here which is "what's the best way to go through a routine traffic stop so that you and the LEO can part as friends and go on with your respective days"

These discussions then lead to "what if I have an unlicensed nuclear reactor and I spit on the cops shoes?"

There are an infinite number of what ifs which one would think would be outside the scope of the thread. But I was wrong.

In general, unless you're looking for trouble or have a mammoth chip on your shoulder you will be OK every time out to 6σ probability.

Best thing is to look at the interaction from the cop's point of view. Put yourself in his shoes and act accordingly. Which, as usual, boils down to three simple rules:

1) use your best judgement

2) don't be an asshole

3) shut the fuck up

As Zeke says, there are no absolutes. The rules are really guidelines and have interpretations. Generally contingent on rule #2. Because if you break rule #2 you've already broken #1 and most probably are incapable of following rule #3.

As a codicil to the rules, there is one caveat, don't blame the cops, laws or politics for your stupidity.

To lighten the mood a bit, this is one of my favorite comedians talking about his interactions with NYC's finest:

(Warning it's 7 minutes long.)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ray Ray said:

What?

Ray,  been a long time since I was involved in traffic enforcement.  Unless it's changed a police officer has the option of issuing a verbal warning, a written warning, a summons, or arrest for a violation of mv statutes  (Title 39 in NJ). Now there are guidelines on what violations you are arrested for like DWI and others.

A cop can also write you for a lesser offense.  95 in a 55 can get you careless driving, excessive speed instead of 40 over the speed limit.  Fewer points and lower fine.

I know of two incidents where a drunk passenger was pitching empty beer bottles out the window.  No open container law in NJ then.   This was in the 70s.

The driver and passengers were laughing their ads off when stopped in one.  They said "what are you gonna do, give us a ticket for littering".  That was a $50 fine then.  What the guy did get was a ticket for "placing an injurious substance on the roadway".  Mandatory court appearance and when the judge heard the story, $500 fine.

The other incident resulted in the drunk passenger hitting a parked police car with a bottle (no damage).  The driver didn't STFU and apologized for his drunk friend.  The cop let them go back, clean up the bottles, no arrest or summons.  Everyone went on their way.

Two different incidents.  Two different outcomes.

STFU is a last resort as @Walt of Destinysaid.

• Like 1

I think you missed my point.  I'm not saying you should give the cop a hand job on the side of the road to get out of the ticket.  All I'm saying is, be quiet.  Take the ticket, verbal warning or summons and move on.  The less the cop knows, the better you are off.  I've dealt with overreaching cops already, it was ridiculous.   

6 minutes ago, Ray Ray said:

I think you missed my point.  I'm not saying you should give the cop a hand job on the side of the road to get out of the ticket.  All I'm saying is, be quiet.  Take the ticket, verbal warning or summons and move on.  The less the cop knows, the better you are off.  I've dealt with overreaching cops already, it was ridiculous.   

Ray, I think you're missing other people's points.  How you interact with the cop can determine whether you get a ticket or go on your way with a warning.  Yes, there are overreaching cops who treat everyone like John Dillinger but they are the exception not the rule.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, tattooo said:

If it's a situation with potential criminal implications you SHOULD STFU and not say anything to the police. I've posted this link many times. It CAN and WILL hurt you to be "honest" if you've just run someone over or been caught holding the proverbial bag. A criminal trial or pretrial interviews -- WITH YOUR ATTORNEY PRESENT -- provide you with sufficient time and preparation to tell your version of the truth. If you tell the cop "I think he was reaching..." the officer will destroy your credibility in court by testifying that you weren't sure, and he'd be right.

Traffic offenses are totally different. It's not really law, and traffic court is not really court. It's a revenue thing pure and simple. If a cop tells a judge you did 85 in a 35 he will throw the book at you even if you were only doing 30 in a 35. If you were in fact doing 85 not saying anything or acting like a Youtube Lawyer is not going to save you. In essence your apprehension, trial, and sentencing occurs right there where you were stopped. Your only hope during a traffic stop is to be polite, deferential, and remorseful to the cop. Once you're in court you're losing 99.9% of the time the cop shows up.

• Like 3

It's a summer night in the 1970's, during one of the gas crises, around 2:00 AM. I'm tooling up 206 north between 287 and Chester, the 'death strip' where a lot of people met their makers. I'm in my Fiat 1200 Spider, top down, doing probably 70 in a 55 zone. Then in my rear view mirror there's the red and blue bubbles and the conversation begins.

After I explain i was going home from my second job and just being foolish trying to get home quicker to get some sleep before morning comes, the officer, being economically conscious, says:

"The President's asked you to slow down, the Governor's asked you to slow down, do you suppose if I ask you to slow down it would do any good?"

To which I burst out laughing and said "I guess I'd be a flaming idiot if I didn't!"

No ticket. "Have a safe night." I never forgot that. And behaved accordingly ever since.

• Like 3

It's a summer night in the 1970's, during one of the gas crises, around 2:00 AM. I'm tooling up 206 north between 287 and Chester, the 'death strip' where a lot of people met their makers. I'm in my Fiat 1200 Spider, top down, doing probably 70 in a 55 zone. Then in my rear view mirror there's the red and blue bubbles and the conversation begins.

After I explain i was going home from my second job and just being foolish trying to get home quicker to get some sleep before morning comes, the officer, being economically conscious, says:

"The President's asked you to slow down, the Governor's asked you to slow down, do you suppose if I ask you to slow down it would do any good?"

To which I burst out laughing and said "I guess I'd be a flaming idiot if I didn't!"

No ticket. "Have a safe night." I never forgot that. And behaved accordingly ever since.

I bet if you took Ray Ray's advice and sat there mute you would have got out of the ticket also [emoji12]

• Like 2

A fellow bought a new Corvette and was out on an interstate for a nice evening drive. The top was down, the breeze was blowing through what was left of his hair and he decided to open her up. As the needle jumped up to 80 mph he suddenly saw a flashing red and blue light behind him. "There ain't no way they can catch a Corvette," he thought to himself and opened her up further. The needle hit 90, 100, 130 and finally 150 with the light still behind him. "What the hell am I doing?" he thought and pulled over. The cop came up to him, took his license without a word and examined it and the car. "I've had a tough shift and this is my last pull over. I don't feel like more paperwork so if you can give me an excuse for your driving that I haven't heard before you can go!" "Last week my wife ran off with a cop," the man said, "and I was afraid you were trying to give her back!" "Off you go," said the officer.

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Foxhunter said:

A fellow bought a new Corvette and was out on an interstate for a nice evening drive. The top was down, the breeze was blowing through what was left of his hair and he decided to open her up. As the needle jumped up to 80 mph he suddenly saw a flashing red and blue light behind him. "There ain't no way they can catch a Corvette," he thought to himself and opened her up further. The needle hit 90, 100, 130 and finally 150 with the light still behind him. "What the hell am I doing?" he thought and pulled over. The cop came up to him, took his license without a word and examined it and the car. "I've had a tough shift and this is my last pull over. I don't feel like more paperwork so if you can give me an excuse for your driving that I haven't heard before you can go!" "Last week my wife ran off with a cop," the man said, "and I was afraid you were trying to give her back!" "Off you go," said the officer.

Ok, that's funny.

19 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Once again things go south. There is a legitimate question here which is "what's the best way to go through a routine traffic stop so that you and the LEO can part as friends and go on with your respective days"

These discussions then lead to "what if I have an unlicensed nuclear reactor and I spit on the cops shoes?"

There are an infinite number of what ifs which one would think would be outside the scope of the thread. But I was wrong.

In general, unless you're looking for trouble or have a mammoth chip on your shoulder you will be OK every time out to 6σ probability.

Best thing is to look at the interaction from the cop's point of view. Put yourself in his shoes and act accordingly. Which, as usual, boils down to three simple rules:

1) use your best judgement

2) don't be an asshole

3) shut the fuck up

As Zeke says, there are no absolutes. The rules are really guidelines and have interpretations. Generally contingent on rule #2. Because if you break rule #2 you've already broken #1 and most probably are incapable of following rule #3.

As a codicil to the rules, there is one caveat, don't blame the cops, laws or politics for your stupidity.

To lighten the mood a bit, this is one of my favorite comedians talking about his interactions with NYC's finest:

(Warning it's 7 minutes long.)

No occifur, I was drunk in a bar! I got thrown into pub lic....

Satelites are linking up!

classsic! I love that one. Good find Walt!

On 6/3/2017 at 5:58 PM, Michael2013 said:

OK, how do I know if it is a police vehicle or some mafia, since they're unmarked?

Drive through towns like Cherry Hill or West Windsor and you're likely to see many more traffic stops by unmarked cars, usually Ford SUVs or Dodge Chargers with the darkest window tint possible. You can be sure there is a UNIFORMED officer inside, however. 

A while back there were numerous reports of a fake cop in an unmarked car (like a Crown Vic) pulling women over in PA. The advice the PDs were giving was to ask for a marked car or call 911 if you're suspicious it's some whack-job, most of whom are too stupid, cheap or poor to install wig-wags, LED strobes or a siren.

Good one !

On 5/21/2017 at 7:54 PM, Ray Ray said:

This explains it all 

This thread could stop right here at the video I posted almost 3 weeks ago.  This is how to do it.  Done

• Like 3

I can't read you Ray, are you just trying to get the last word, prove you are right or just ball busting ?

I mean almost everybody including LE members rejected your advice as well as provided examples ?

Please let's not re litigate your opinions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tattooo said:

I can't read you Ray, are you just trying to get the last word, prove you are right or just ball busting ?

I mean almost everybody including LE members rejected your advice as well as provided examples.

Did you not watch the video?  The gentleman in the video is a civil rights lawyer who specializes in these types of cases.