Foxhunter

When you get pulled over ?

20 minutes ago, PK90 said:

The video makes sense to me who spent 22+ years on the street.

Sent from an undisclosed location via Tapatalk

In this case I agree with Paul. The cop was profiling and hell bent on searching his vehicle. The cop was overly aggressive and using scare tactics to coerce the kid into giving up his rights. In this scenario, I would hope I have the sense to have play it the same way!

Did you not watch the video?  The gentleman in the video is a civil rights lawyer who specializes in these types of cases.

No I did not, I thought you were going on about the shut your trap and take your ticket stuff again after it was already beat to death and am not used to you posting logical stuff .... lol

Just watched it now, It definitely makes sense.

Sent from my SM-G925P using Tapatalk

• Like 1

The best question I was ever asked (in Ohio) was Visa or Mastercard. I replied Visa and that was the end of the conversation. $65 later, I was on my way. Too bad they all didn't go so easy.

Mexican cop said $15, I was OK with that. His buddy then said $50. Not OK. Worked it out for $14 but was careful the rest of the week. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, rifleman said:

The best question I was ever asked (in Ohio) was Visa or Mastercard. I replied Visa and that was the end of the conversation. $65 later, I was on my way. Too bad they all didn't go so easy.

Mexican cop said $15, I was OK with that. His buddy then said $50. Not OK. Worked it out for $14 but was careful the rest of the week. 

English,Spanglish or Spanish?

Believe it or not, I worked it out in English (Cabo San Lucas). Also had Ben Franklin in the back of my wallet in case things went wrong. I gave him an International Driver's license for "security" that I could buy back the next day- too bad for him it was a useless Internet thing that expired the next month. hahahaha

On 6/4/2017 at 4:08 AM, Maksim said:

The only time I recall being asked about firearms was in Florida when I was pulled over in a tourist speed trap just south of Amelia Island.  Only reason I was asked, when pulling out my DL, my Florida CCW was right next to it.  

Florida uses a system called D.A.V.I.D. which DOES pull up your CCW status.

Maybe 10 years ago I was pulled over for speeding by a cop who was obviously very sick and for whatever reason still working.  I think I was doing 30+ over the limit definitely expecting a ticket.

He walks up to me, asks me for my license and registration, abruptly flings his hands to his face and proceeds to sneeze all over my window and some into my car.  He then takes a few steps back, yelled "f*ck this shit!!" and left.  Not a single word...  LOL  he just hopped back in his patrol car and sped out.  I didn't know what to make of it, I just kinda sat there for a minute as I watched him peel away full throttle haha...  lucky day for me

I agree with most above... be honest and friendly and most often times than not, the officer will be more understanding than you think.  A few good friends of mine are officers and all tell me the same thing - don't be a "I know the law" douchebag because it makes them want to ticket you even more. 

The only time I've been ticketed for speeding in recent years was in Georgia of all places.  Cops down there are like fuggin robots of the law, but theres no reciprocity, so when he saw my NJ license he was pissed.  25+ over the limit and it was only a $30 fine! 

There is a simple NJSP procedure for questioning to determine compliance with NJ firearm transport laws.  NJSP procedures may (or may not) be followed by local PDs, however NJSP firearms procedures (and FA investigation unit) do tend to govern in NJ.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

1. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
    1. An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
    2. In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
    3. If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
    4. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

So, while you may legitimately decline to answer "Where are you going?  Where are you coming from?" etc. once you've admitted the presence of firearms in the vehicle, at least under NJSP procedure they are expected to ask your point of origin and destination as part of an investigation to determine compliance.  Declining to answer under those circumstances would likely be seen as 'hindering' a police investigation and you could be charged, at least as I understand it.

SD

5 hours ago, Silence Dogood said:

Florida uses a system called D.A.V.I.D. which DOES pull up your CCW status.

Actually, it doesn't.  Not for Florida CWFL holders, at least.

Several years ago, per Florida Statute "FS 790.0601," FL CWFL registration data was made "confidential." and exempt from "public records" disclosure laws.  Law enforcement has to "show cause" to be able to access the records per FS 790.0601(3)(c).

This, after some news paper accessed the (then) public records and published them, sort of like what happened in NY/CT.

The CWFL data (for holders of a FL CWFL)  is not available in D.A.V.I.D.

On 6/16/2017 at 3:59 PM, HBecwithFn7 said:

Actually, it doesn't.  Not for Florida CWFL holders, at least.

Several years ago, per Florida Statute "FS 790.0601," FL CWFL registration data was made "confidential." and exempt from "public records" disclosure laws.  Law enforcement has to "show cause" to be able to access the records per FS 790.0601(3)(c).

This, after some news paper accessed the (then) public records and published them, sort of like what happened in NY/CT.

The CWFL data (for holders of a FL CWFL)  is not available in D.A.V.I.D.

Well that's good to hear.  It used to be.

On 6/13/2017 at 9:46 PM, rifleman said:

i'm sure there's some joke or innuendo in there somewhere, but i admit it's over my head

On 6/16/2017 at 10:59 AM, Silence Dogood said:

There is a simple NJSP procedure for questioning to determine compliance with NJ firearm transport laws.  NJSP procedures may (or may not) be followed by local PDs, however NJSP firearms procedures (and FA investigation unit) do tend to govern in NJ.

http://www.njsp.org/firearms/transport-firearm.shtml

1. Procedures for Investigation of Conduct Involving the Possession or Transportation of Firearms
    1. An officer who reasonably suspects that a person is transporting a firearm in violation of New Jersey law should make reasonable inquiries in order to confirm or dispel that suspicion.
    2. In a case where circumstances reasonably indicate that the person's possession and transportation of the firearms my be permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, the officer should make reasonable inquiries in order to determine whether the person's possession is permitted by that federal law.
    3. If reasonable inquiries lead an officer to conclude that the person's possession is lawful under either New Jersey law or 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, the officer should promptly allow the person to proceed.
    4. Whenever an officer has probable cause to believe that a person's possession of a firearm is in violation of New Jersey law and not permitted by 18 U.S.C.A. 926A, as described above in Section II, then the officer should make an arrest.

So, while you may legitimately decline to answer "Where are you going?  Where are you coming from?" etc. once you've admitted the presence of firearms in the vehicle, at least under NJSP procedure they are expected to ask your point of origin and destination as part of an investigation to determine compliance.  Declining to answer under those circumstances would likely be seen as 'hindering' a police investigation and you could be charged, at least as I understand it.

SD

Has anyone ever been asked if they were transporting firearms? Me never. Scrape the NRA and Grateful Dead stickers off your car. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Newtonian said:

Has anyone ever been asked if they were transporting firearms? Me never. Scrape the NRA and Grateful Dead stickers off your car. 

I've never been asked either.

I believe I asked for anyone to cone forth and tell us about being asked if there are guns in the car by police.  I'm still waiting.

Don't drive like a jackass and don't dress like a gangbanger.

• Like 3