Just a head's up, the recent BJ's sales circular (5/23 - 6/19) is advertising an "Extreme Savings Week" sale June 12 - 18.

One of the items on sale is a Snap-on 24 gun safe for $299.99.

It's a decent 30 minute fireproof safe typically selling at places like Dicks, TSC, or the box stores for $5-600. 

I have no interest in BJ's nor Snap-on Safe's, just saw this as a nice deal and thought I'd pass it on.

Remember, there's no sales tax on gun safes

• Like 2

most of you probably know this, but if anyone is thinking they'll be able to stuff the safe as full as the pictures show, they'd be sorely disappointed.  the door thickness "intrudes" into the interior, such that it would make contact with that front row of rifle butts, and you won't be able to shut the door with the pistols in the door pockets and the shelves in the shown positions.

3 hours ago, sota said:

most of you probably know this, but if anyone is thinking they'll be able to stuff the safe as full as the pictures show, they'd be sorely disappointed.  the door thickness "intrudes" into the interior, such that it would make contact with that front row of rifle butts, and you won't be able to shut the door with the pistols in the door pockets and the shelves in the shown positions.

Yea, I don't think there is a more egregious example of false advertising since "The Crying Game"

To add a little, I'm a fire rating denier, personal choice and opinion. I'm more concerned with someone putting a hydraulic frame spreader in the almost inch gap of a safe door and bending it away. But that's just me, so I'm a Pendleton safe guy. 

In any event, I would recommend not keeping ammo in your gun safe. Firstly it's  some of the most expensive square footage you'll ever own and second, if you take a look at the UL fire rating specs, the "acceptable" temps are well above what cook off primers destroying everything in the safe. Get a separate cabinet for ammo.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Frequently am. 

• Like 1

Ammo won't matter. Most guns would melt or warp anyway. The best you could hope for is that the fire is put out quickfastnotslow.
To me, fire ratings for gun safes is over rated as well as how many modern guns would fit in it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

2017-05-22-13-46-39.jpg

Since I've not seen anyone ever post a shot from inside their safe, here's mine.

Note, this is from inside a MESA MBF7236E (yes... she's a big bitch,) and you can see the door and shelf are stupid close together.  The pouch at the top of the shot has only a wallet in it, and you can see how far it intrudes inside the safe.

as fire rating... if it's hot enough in my house to cause the only wood objects near my safe to burn (the joists above it are the only wood items nearby.  everything else around it is concrete,) well at that point i'm pretty much status==fucked anyways.

eta: yes, the 42 rifle safe size on mine is total bullshit. if you count every single rifle pocket you'll get to 42, but it's impossible to put that many long sticks in there unless they literally are shaped liked sticks.  anything AR or AK variant won't get that many in there.

18 hours ago, Walt of Destiny said:

Yes, this is the model they are advertising for one week only!

June 12 - 18

2017-05-22-13-46-39.jpg
Since I've not seen anyone ever post a shot from inside their safe, here's mine.
Note, this is from inside a MESA MBF7236E (yes... she's a big bitch,) and you can see the door and shelf are stupid close together.  The pouch at the top of the shot has only a wallet in it, and you can see how far it intrudes inside the safe.
as fire rating... if it's hot enough in my house to cause the only wood objects near my safe to burn (the joists above it are the only wood items nearby.  everything else around it is concrete,) well at that point i'm pretty much status==fucked anyways.
eta: yes, the 42 rifle safe size on mine is total bullshit. if you count every single rifle pocket you'll get to 42, but it's impossible to put that many long sticks in there unless they literally are shaped liked sticks.  anything AR or AK variant won't get that many in there.

If you can take pix from inside your safe, you don't have nearly enough guns. [emoji12]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

My buddy's little slice of heaven. iyes he lives n a free state...before someone has a stroke.
IMG_8895.thumb.JPG.cc1210ef30ce9f9224b502a50eb442cb.JPG

Pends are nice. Couldn't afford it at the time. They have another company that splintered off selling them cheaper. Forget the name. My next safe will be a Pend. When I move, the behemoth I have stays with the house.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Ooh, did not know those round safes were still popular/trendy.

Such a shame to have such gorgeous guns in a metal box.... that is why everyone should have a gun room.... you know where you can go, sit down and watch your collection while sipping on your favorite drink....

BookcaseGunVault-safe.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/22/2017 at 11:00 AM, Walt of Destiny said:

Yea, I don't think there is a more egregious example of false advertising since "The Crying Game"

To add a little, I'm a fire rating denier, personal choice and opinion. I'm more concerned with someone putting a hydraulic frame spreader in the almost inch gap of a safe door and bending it away. But that's just me, so I'm a Pendleton safe guy. 

In any event, I would recommend not keeping ammo in your gun safe. Firstly it's  some of the most expensive square footage you'll ever own and second, if you take a look at the UL fire rating specs, the "acceptable" temps are well above what cook off primers destroying everything in the safe. Get a separate cabinet for ammo.  Just my opinion, I could be wrong. Frequently am. 

On 5/22/2017 at 11:19 AM, bhunted said:

Ammo won't matter. Most guns would melt or warp anyway. The best you could hope for is that the fire is put out quickfastnotslow.
To me, fire ratings for gun safes is over rated as well as how many modern guns would fit in it..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isn't this the recipe for a big Boom?

I have two of the ammo cans. They're great  

My point is that fire ratings are not important. Security is. If you have a fire, the ratings you put your faith in are for temps that would destroy your firearms if everything worked the way it's supposed to.