Maximus

Can NYC LEO bring his weapon to NJ range

Hey all.  I have a friend who is a NYC police officer.  He wanted to come out this way so we could go shooting with friends at Range 14.  Are there any restrictions to him bringing his service weapon or other guns to NJ to go to a range?  Do his weapons have to be NJ compliant?   I'm telling him to leave HP ammo at home.  Too many ways to get jammed up in this state, LEO or not.

thanks,

Maximus

His weapons must be NJ compliant if he is going to shoot them in NJ. He can legally transport them to a range in NJ just as we can go to a range in another state as long as they are properly stored and locked. HP is not a problem as you are allowed to shoot that ammunition at a range.

Incorrect.

HR 218 / LEOSA states that current sworn LEO in good standing with their Dept, from any state may travel to any other state with pistol and CCW it. He just needs to keep his ID and badge on him while carrying.

So, not only can he bring it, but he can carry it - including hollow point bullets if they are what is issued/approved by his PD. The only thing he has to follow is any mag restrictions the state he is traveling to has enacted. Mag restrictions are not covered under the act in its current form.

http://www.leosaonline.com/

Now, Some departments have restrictions on bringing service weapons across state lines unless it is for official business - my agency has this. But I can bring personal guns that i have qualified with when I travel. 

I would advise him to run it by his supervisor or department legal counsel first - he wouldn't be breaking any state or federal laws but he could be violating department policy.

• Like 7

4 hours ago, rtquig said:

He can legally transport them to a range in NJ just as we can go to a range in another state as long as they are properly stored and locked.

You cannot go to a range (or anywhere else) in the State of New York with any handgun unless your handgun is registered in NY or you are a LEO.

3 hours ago, NJGF said:

When in a school zone LEOSA doesn't give a LEO any exemptions from the GFSZA so the firearm has to be unloaded and locked. 

True but I don't think someone carrying under LEOSA would be prosecuted under GFSZA for just driving by the school.  If you read the wording of the act it only exempts LEOs while in official performance of their duties.  If you want to interpret the GFSZA strictly that would mean  an off duty NJ LEO couldn't drive by a school armed.  He or she would have to stop, unload and secure the firearm and continue until they were 1000 ft away on the other end.

I've seen maps of Elizabeth and Newark with 1000 feet of a school zone marked.  There's no way you can go through either of those cities (or most cities for that matter)  if you were a off duty LEO in the state and not be in violation.

If you're a retired LEO in NJ and have a RPO carry permit GFSZA exempts you from the 1000 feet but state law (as permitted by LEOSA) prohibits carry on school grounds or buildings.  

LEOSA has no mention of the GFSZA or schools for that matter IIRC.   It allows the state to prohibit firearms in or on government owned property.

I'm not saying on school grounds but driving by shouldn't be an issue.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GRIZ said:

True but I don't think someone carrying under LEOSA would be prosecuted under GFSZA for just driving by the school.  If you read the wording of the act it only exempts LEOs while in official performance of their duties.  If you want to interpret the GFSZA strictly that would mean  an off duty NJ LEO couldn't drive by a school armed.  He or she would have to stop, unload and secure the firearm and continue until they were 1000 ft away on the other end.

I've seen maps of Elizabeth and Newark with 1000 feet of a school zone marked.  There's no way you can go through either of those cities (or most cities for that matter)  if you were a off duty LEO in the state and not be in violation.

If you're a retired LEO in NJ and have a RPO carry permit GFSZA exempts you from the 1000 feet but state law (as permitted by LEOSA) prohibits carry on school grounds or buildings.  

LEOSA has no mention of the GFSZA or schools for that matter IIRC.   It allows the state to prohibit firearms in or on government owned property.

I'm not saying on school grounds but driving by shouldn't be an issue.

When I was working for a company up in northern Bergen County (near the NY state line), I recall one day when a group of employees were attempting a prank on another employee as part of a celebration for that employee's service. The "prankster" would arrange to have the employee "arrested" for something while being surrounded by the other employees.  The "LEO" came from  right across the border in NY State where the employee/victim lived.

We were waiting, and waiting even longer. We were afraid the "victim" would get spooked with everyone standing around.  Finally, the "LEO" arrived to take the "victim" into custody.   But we noticed an "empty holster."   

After the prank played out, the "LEO" explained:

As I first drove my vehicle across the state line, I was stopped by a NJ State Trooper and almost arrested myself for carrying a weapon across state line. After some very serious and heavy negotiations with the trooper, I was allowed to drive back over the state line and secure my weapon in NY, and then return.  That was the cause of the delay.

This would have happened around 1986-1987 time frame. 

3 minutes ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

When I was working for a company up in northern Bergen County (near the NY state line), I recall one day when a group of employees were attempting a prank on another employee as part of a celebration for that employee's service. The "prankster" would arrange to have the employee "arrested" for something while being surrounded by the other employees.  The "LEO" came from  right across the border in NY State where the employee/victim lived.

We were waiting, and waiting even longer. We were afraid the "victim" would get spooked with everyone standing around.  Finally, the "LEO" arrived to take the "victim" into custody.   But we noticed an "empty holster."   

My dad was a New Castle County Police Officer in the 70s and would tell stories like that.  Things have changed.  

I rarely get stopped but when I have in other states I let the officer know that I have my off-duty and have never had a problem.  NY, VA, GA, SC, and Florida come to mind with interactions and never have had an issue.

8 hours ago, Oakridgefirearms said:

You cannot go to a range (or anywhere else) in the State of New York with any handgun unless your handgun is registered in NY or you are a LEO.

There are exceptions for competitions; bullseye, GSSF, etc.   Match registrants typically get a letter to print and bring with them.

4 hours ago, HBecwithFn7 said:

4 hours ago, blksheep said:

My dad was a New Castle County Police Officer in the 70s and would tell stories like that.  Things have changed.  

I rarely get stopped but when I have in other states I let the officer know that I have my off-duty and have never had a problem.  NY, VA, GA, SC, and Florida come to mind with interactions and never have had an issue.

LEOSA was passed in 2004 IIRC.  State or local LEOs had to depend on whatever the state they were visiting allowed.  NJ had no provision for out of state LEOs to carry unless they were on official business.  I know of incidents of NYPD officers cutting thru NJ on the way to their home in NY like Blksheep relates.

Back on the 70s when I was a police officer in NJ carrying in NYC was okay, not by law but by a wink and a nod.  I've known off duty NJ LEOs who had to use their guns in NYC.  No one got in trouble except the bad guy.  Not a situation I've ever been in as they all were very sticky.

Since retirement carrying under LEOSA I've had exactly one encounter carrying in another state and I've been in a bunch of them. That encounter was in Kansas which is a Constitutional Carry state so I was legal without LEOSA.

5 hours ago, 10X said:

There are exceptions for competitions; bullseye, GSSF, etc.   Match registrants typically get a letter to print and bring with them.

True, but those exemptions are very limited in scope and the amount of time you can be in NY with your out of state handgun. Most people will probably never go into NY for one of those exempted matches.

On May 22, 2017 at 7:33 PM, High Exposure said:

Incorrect.

HR 218 / LEOSA states that current sworn LEO in good standing with their Dept, from any state may travel to any other state with pistol and CCW it. He just needs to keep his ID and badge on him while carrying.

So, not only can he bring it, but he can carry it - including hollow point bullets if they are what is issued/approved by his PD. The only thing he has to follow is any mag restrictions the state he is traveling to has enacted. Mag restrictions are not covered under the act in its current form.

http://www.leosaonline.com/

Now, Some departments have restrictions on bringing service weapons across state lines unless it is for official business - my agency has this. But I can bring personal guns that i have qualified with when I travel. 

I would advise him to run it by his supervisor or department legal counsel first - he wouldn't be breaking any state or federal laws but he could be violating department policy.

Thanks HE and everyone else for the Info.  I let him know to also run it by his department supervisor just in case.