stuckinNJ

Question about pistol permits and private sales in NJ

6 minutes ago, GRIZ said:

2 ways to do this:

This is how I'd do it:

1.  Buy the private sale as you normally would.

2.  Pay the FFL for the gun and submit the paperwork for an exemption for that gun.  The FFL shouldn't mind holding the gun for a couple of weeks if he's been paid for it.

That's what I'm doing now but both guns are private sales from the same seller.

You can buy 10 guns from 10 different people with an exemption or whatever.  You list all guns, serial numbers, and seller's info on your form.  Each seller lists your info and gun info on their forms.  

It says on the seller form it must accompany your application.  If you're buying 10 from 10 different people you'll have 10 seller forms to attach to yours.

PITA but that's what you need to do.

Oh I see, so you're saying first buy the private sale gun normally.  

Than just do the exemption with the gun I already have sitting at the FFL. In order to do this, do we each need to fill out our respective forms (i.e. I fill out the SP-15 and he does the SP-16)? Then upon approval I can pick up the gun at the FFL?

Or do all I need to do is fill out a SP-15, get approved then mail the SP-16 along with the p2p that goes to njsp and local PD?

Sorry for all the questions.... it's pretty convoluted (no accident, considering it's NJ).

The SP-15 and SP-16 must go in together.  You will get the approval back via your local pd.

If you send in just your form I'm sure you'll just get it sent back.  The FFL should know how to do this.

If the FFL wants you to fill out your firm and wants to send it in with his I wouldn't worry about it.  The form says the 15 and 16 must be sent in together.

You don't send in the p2p.  That's filled out after the form is approved and you get it back.

SP15 and 16 get sent in. You don't send in your p2p.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GRIZ said:

The SP-15 and SP-16 must go in together.  You will get the approval back via your local pd.

If you send in just your form I'm sure you'll just get it sent back.  The FFL should know how to do this.

If the FFL wants you to fill out your firm and wants to send it in with his I wouldn't worry about it.  The form says the 15 and 16 must be sent in together.

You don't send in the p2p.  That's filled out after the form is approved and you get it back.

SP15 and 16 get sent in. You don't send in your p2p.

Thanks. And what exactly do they send me upon approval? Another form or something? And then I bring that form to the FFL upon pickup of the 2nd firearm?

3 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

Thanks. And what exactly do they send me upon approval? Another form or something? And then I bring that form to the FFL upon pickup of the 2nd firearm?

IIRC it's a copy of your form approved in the space provided.  They send a copy of the seller's form to them.  IIRC your form is sent through your local pd so they know it's approved.

When you get the form back approved you just take it along with your p2p to complete the transfer.

You check the collector box on page 1 of your form.  Don't forget to write in collector in the box on page 2.  You need to do this when it's submitted.  If you leave anything blank you will get it back.

2 hours ago, GRIZ said:

IIRC it's a copy of your form approved in the space provided.  They send a copy of the seller's form to them.  IIRC your form is sent through your local pd so they know it's approved.

When you get the form back approved you just take it along with your p2p to complete the transfer.

You check the collector box on page 1 of your form.  Don't forget to write in collector in the box on page 2.  You need to do this when it's submitted.  If you leave anything blank you will get it back.

Thanks for the details. I appreciate it very much! How long is the extension valid for?

19 hours ago, stuckinNJ said:

The problem for me arises when it comes to a private/face to face sale. If I want to buy and avoid FFL and NICS fees, it would mean that I'd need a pistol permit ready (in addition to a COE, of course)

Just FYI, you only need a COE for a long gun sale. Not needed for handguns.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Pizza Bob said:

Just FYI, you only need a COE for a long gun sale. Not needed for handguns.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

You ate correct Bob.

I was doing a private handgun sale with a p2p and the guy insisted on a COE too. I tried to tell him it wasn't needed but couldn't convince him.  So I filled out the COE anyway.

Might as well have done a COE for a shovel.

With or without using a Multiple Handgun Exemption, you must have a valid P2P for each handgun at the time of transfer.

If someone intends to buy (only) two handguns that are readily available, and has two valid permits good for at least 31 days, it hardly seems worth going through the MHE rigmarole to save maybe... what? A week or two in purchase time? Just buy one now and buy the other one 30 days later.

To me MHEs only make sense if you're buying at least two or more (by the milk crate?) at one time, a day or two after you made a single handgun purchase. Now, you saved at least two months of wait time for three handguns.

Or more.

13 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

With or without using a Multiple Handgun Exemption, you must have a valid P2P at the time of transfer.

If someone intends to buy (only) two handguns that are readily available, and has two valid permits good for at least 31 days, it hardly seems worth going through the MHE rigmarole to save maybe... what? A week or two in purchase time? Just buy one now and buy the other one 30 days later.

To me MHEs only make sense if you're buying at least two or more (by the milk crate?) at one time, a day or two after you made a single handgun purchase. Now, you saved at least two months of wait time for three handguns.

Or more.

For me it was... 6 I think? =P  An FFL here was happy I finally took out all of those guns from their safe. =)

14 minutes ago, BobA said:

I have to go through the NJSP.  They won't allow for more than two permits issued at a time, which is all the S.T.S. 033 allows for. How are people getting more than two at one time? 

I use the NJSP. I requested 3 permits... and got 3 permits. No eyebrows raised. No questions. Did your barracks tell you otherwise? If so, maybe they're making it up? LOL. Or the person you dealt with was new... and ill-informed?

I believe you.  The people I dealt with I don't believe were either.  The barracks I have to go to I'd rather not give the name of.  I applied in mid-march and 5 weeks later got an email from them that now that they received everything from everyone the process will now take months from that point.  I made the mistake of contacting them once by email and was told if I didn't like it I shouldn't have applied.  IN WRITING! I remember at one point one could go to the nearest barracks.  They changed it at some point to the barracks that does your area.  So I'm stuck with them.  I'm afraid if I give the name one or more of them might see it and further screw me.

2 hours ago, BobA said:

I have to go through the NJSP.  They won't allow for more than two permits issued at a time, which is all the S.T.S. 033 allows for. How are people getting more than two at one time? 

That is complete crap. There is no limit on the number of permits you may apply for. STS-033 has a blank you fill in with the number of permits you want, and there is no verbiage about any limitation. Because there is none.

If I were you I would ask for the barracks commander, advise him you are being given erroneous information, and give him the opportunity to straighten out the troopers who are in error. And if he refuses then you go the the A.G. and file a formal complaint.

Alternatively you could call the Firearms Unit in Trenton directly and tell them your getting B.S. from your barracks and ask them to straighten out the locals.

My wife and I have applied for and received up to six permits at a time through the Augusta barracks. There is nothing illegal about it, and I know that others on this board have applied for and received more than six through other barracks.

This is one instance where I personally would pursue them regardless of any anticipated 'retribution'. Because I would file a complaint on that too.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

That is complete crap. There is no limit on the number of permits you may apply for. STS-033 has a blank you fill in with the number of permits you want, and there is no verbiage about any limitation. Because there is none.

If I were you I would ask for the barracks commander, advise him you are being given erroneous information, and give him the opportunity to straighten out the troopers who are in error. And if he refuses then you go the the A.G. and file a formal complaint.

Alternatively you could call the Firearms Unit in Trenton directly and tell them your getting B.S. from your barracks and ask them to straighten out the locals.

My wife and I have applied for and received up to six permits at a time through the Augusta barracks. There is nothing illegal about it, and I know that others on this board have applied for and received more than six through other barracks.

This is one instance where I personally would pursue them regardless of any anticipated 'retribution'. Because I would file a complaint on that too.

At one point I requested 12 and had no issues getting them.

Some times will say 3 max because of one a month, others will say 6ie, 1 a month with extensions.

In reality as @45Doll stated, there is no limit.  You can apply for 200 at a time.

17 minutes ago, 45Doll said:

Yes I know its unique to this barracks.  The other kicker is the entire process is left up to a civilian.  None of them will answer any questions and refer you to her.  She can never by reached be phone as she's always "out" whenever you call.  You're told that you can only email.  And I told you the types of emails we get in return.  I'm guessing there's enough clues as to which barracks it is.  I do have strong reasons not to further delay these permits.  But moving forward I plan to apply for "spares" as we mentioned and have considered contacting Trenton at that point.  When the hell that point comes is what sucks.  

But yes, we applied together ( my girl friend, domestic partner, significant other or whatever we're supposed to say) she for her FID and two pistol permits and I just for two pistol permits.  And we were told in no uncertain terms only two.  And we're both still waiting. 

On 5/22/2017 at 9:03 PM, stuckinNJ said:

I included extensions (hence "A January permit good until June"). But if I waited until June to reapply, I'd be permitless from June till I get new permits

Keep in mind that extensions are at the discretion of the chief. They do not have to extend a permit, they may.  Most do, not all.

27 minutes ago, JC_68Westy said:

Keep in mind that extensions are at the discretion of the chief. They do not have to extend a permit, they may.  Most do, not all.

True but the officer in charge of the ID bureau in my local PD said it's a 1 or 2 day turn around. No mention of even a chance of denial. Meaning the assumption is that my chief will approve.