Zeke

What's the longest distance you've been towed?

Well I rented a moving truck and trailer to tow my jeep back from the north end of sennica lake NY. Does that count?it was a few hundred bucks cheaper than aaa. I knew I should have replaced that u joint!

does towing myself count?  if so, about 95 miles.

towed a car dolly, behind my car, out to a dealership and bought the jeep. installed the hitch and wiring harness into said jeep in their parking lot, and towed the car home.

I have had AAA RV Plus for a long time, but the farthest we've ever had a car towed was the then-fiance-now wife's car when it pissed out a water pump.  think that was close to 30 miles.

Well over 100 miles, on a flatbed.  It was many years ago and I don't recall what the problem was now, but AAA agreed it required a dealer's attention, and from the wilds of northern Utah back to my hometown in southern Idaho there were no closer dealers.   So even my basic AAA insurance covered it all.

2 hours ago, sota said:

does towing myself count?  if so, about 95 miles.

towed a car dolly, behind my car, out to a dealership and bought the jeep. installed the hitch and wiring harness into said jeep in their parking lot, and towed the car home.

I have had AAA RV Plus for a long time, but the farthest we've ever had a car towed was the then-fiance-now wife's car when it pissed out a water pump.  think that was close to 30 miles.

Thankful I got the RV plus.

3 hours ago, fishnut said:

Well I rented a moving truck and trailer to tow my jeep back from the north end of sennica lake NY. Does that count?it was a few hundred bucks cheaper than aaa. I knew I should have replaced that u joint!

Aren't you jeep guys supposed to keep spare u joints( cause the are small.

• Like 1

i'd have just pulled the driveshaft and driven home FWD style.

and RV Plus is killer. I'll never drop it from my policy. knowing they'll tow the jeep and the trailer if something breaks down is a godsend.  can't imagine that tow bill otherwise!

5 minutes ago, Zeke said:

Thankful I got the RV plus.

Aren't you jeep guys supposed to keep spare u joints( cause the are small.

We were staying at a fancy place. Not something they would like me doing in the parking lot. 

6 minutes ago, sota said:

i'd have just pulled the driveshaft and driven home FWD style.

and RV Plus is killer. I'll never drop it from my policy. knowing they'll tow the jeep and the trailer if something breaks down is a godsend.  can't imagine that tow bill otherwise!

Not the ones in the drives shaft. One at the axle in the front suspension or I would have done that

• Like 1

Broke down out of state at a convention.  Ended up taking public transportation to as close to home as I could get. Had wife pick me up (we had a new baby at the time), took truck and flatbed trailer and picked up car, hauled it backed home to local garage for repair.  Too long a story for here. Needless to say you do what you have to do with the resources you have.

On 5/23/2017 at 3:31 PM, djg0770 said:

65 miles because I had AAA, just this weekend.

I got kaboshed earlier this year about 45 miles from home which caused me to get AAA extended.

I've since used it twice after that initial.  It has now paid for itself.

Mine was similar.

About 70 mile tow for a Chevy Suburban.  I had AAA so the first 50 was free and the other 20 was discounted.

Tow driver tried EVERYTHING possible to get me to go to his garage or sign his paperwork before we got it back to my mechanic.  Can't imagine what he would have done to me if I went with him or signed the paperwork early...