1 hour ago, Purple Patrick said:

I'm a calls it as I sees it kind of guy who embraces the purple side of life and Benedict Cucumberbatch is the weirdest looking dude ever

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Straight men are incredibly bad at judging the attractiveness of other men. Just an observation, for whatever it's worth!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Cereza said:

First  UpLULAs and now this? Your situational awareness begins to worry me…  

Interesting, but not the source of my user name. 

It's the accent and the eyes man! Do I need to start pic spamming? 

English accent is 20 bonus points... easy!

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Mrs. Peel said:

Straight men are incredibly bad at judging the attractiveness of other men. Just an observation, for whatever it's worth!

I can judge the attractiveness of other men, but I'm not gay.  But that statement is generally correct.

Gents, with due respect to the ladies that are goodly enough to grace us with their presence, proper king's English and panache, this is a discussion you probably don't want to get into with the fairer sex. At all. 

Tip your hat and say, "yes ma'am".

Discretion is, after all, the better part of valor. 

How 'bout that movie Dunkirk? Looks like it's going to be great, lots of Messerschmitts, Ma Deuces and 200 lb bombs! 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Nickjc said:

So what is wrong with this movie already - I will see it just to see some enfields 'in action' - this is not meant to detract from one of the greatest feats of the English people - a la battle of Britain in the time frame - by the way what happened to the English people?  That is another question for another day - so i will not digress much further.

But ask yourselves, why did the tanks stop, why did the SS and Wehrmacht not advance to the British Expeditionary force positions and overrun them?  It was not because they could 'pick them off from the air' - as stated at the beginning of the film trailer.

Reportedly -

"One of Hitler's last statements before his suicide on 30 April 1945, claiming that he had allowed the British Expeditionary Force (BEF) to escape as a "sporting gesture" in order to induce British Prime Minister Winston S. Churchill to conclude an agreement with Nazi Germany. "

However -

"On 24 May Generals von Kluge and von Rundstedt issued the order for a halt of the German 4th Army. Hitler, as is often overlooked, only sanctioned it the same day. The reasons for this halt were manifold. Both generals had fought in World War I and realised that, like at the Marne in 1914, a sudden Allied counter-attack could change the course of the whole war. In their eyes this risk still existed, because the British and French still offered resistance in neighbouring areas. At the same time, they wanted to give their armies time to rest, repair and replenish after a thrust whose speed and distance had taken everyone by surprise. The decision by generals von Kluge and Rundstedt did not go uncontested. The army's chief of staff, general von Brauchitsch, disagreed and tried to repeal it at once, though without success. Hitler, for the time being, remained firm. His reasons have been a matter of much controversy. German historian Karl Heinz Friedser, after close scrutiny of all available documents, has convincingly argued that Hitler did not, in fact, call off the attack as an olive branch to Churchill. In fact his decision was the result of his intention to, once and for all, make it clear to the military leadership that he was in fact the supreme commander of the German armed forces, and not them."

While this is not a documentary, when we look back at history and attempt to change facts and or reasoning for the sake of effect in a movie - we do harm to history.  IMO

So spot on. My dad, may he Rest In Peace, was a bit of a historian and argued this common misinformation with, of all people, my high school history teacher.  Much to my horror. Remember back when we actually taught history and they were called Indians, slaves, krauts and cheese-eating surrender monkeys. 

Back then, they taught us that Churchcill was no Neville Chamberlin. Now, Chamberlain is celebrated and Churchill defamed. 

The ministry of truth is in full effect. 

I can't speak to historical accuracy... I'll leave that to you history buffs. But, as a film buff, I'm looking forward to seeing this. FYI, unusually, this film is being shown in 6 different film formats btw (in order to adapt it to a wide range of theaters including smaller, older ones, etc.)  Seeing it in IMAX 70mm or regular 70mm is the way to go!

FYI, 70mm used to be used years ago in Hollywood's heyday, but the cameras are unwieldy and expensive, so it fell out of favor. (Most modern directors have been using 35mm for some time now... but 70mm is making a comeback and director Nolan is a big fan of 70mm). It really does make a difference! It's not just hype. It's noticeably better clarity, you see the director's full artistic vision (the other formats require significant cropping both across the top and the bottom of the film), and you, the viewer, will just get to enjoy more sweeping, expansive scenery.. making it feel more "epic."  You can pick your 70mm theater here: http://tickets.dunkirkmovie.com/  (there are plenty out there - most of the big chains have it). 

There's my 2 cents... for your viewing pleasure, my little forum pups! :D

To get the full IMAX Experience, which 75% of the movie was filmed in, you will need to go to King of Prussia or Lincoln Square in NYC. None of the theaters in NJ have IMAX 1.43:1 they have what many refer to as LieMax. Here is a complete list.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/20170705-Dunkirk-Large-70mm-Release.htm

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

25 minutes ago, capt14k said:

To get the full IMAX Experience, which 75% of the movie was filmed in, you will need to go to King of Prussia or Lincoln Square in NYC. None of the theaters in NJ have IMAX 1.43:1 they have what many refer to as LieMax. Here is a complete list.

http://www.lfexaminer.com/20170705-Dunkirk-Large-70mm-Release.htm

Well, you're REALLY a purist if you drive an hour+ to see it in IMAX. 70mm will be plenty enough clarity and scenery for moi. But, hey...go for it! :D

Make a day of it and hit some gun stores on the way. Tanners isn't too far off the beaten path. Plus it sounds like this maybe a movie worth seeing in the full frame. Likely won't happen for me unless it is still playing come winter.

Make a day of it and hit some gun stores on the way. Tanners isn't too far off the beaten path. Plus it sounds like this maybe a movie worth seeing in the full frame. Likely won't happen for me unless it is still playing come winter.

Don't worry... I got your back.

I'll record it on my iPhone. It is the 6 Plus, so it had a good camera. I'm sure it will make all that stuff you mentioned show up better. [emoji23]

In all seriousness, it does look good. I want to see it, but considering my girlfriend is going to NY for two weeks (horse show), I really don't want to go to the theater by myself to see it. I'll just get it on BluRay whenever it comes out.

My Two cents...... The movie is ok ,however two things kind of bug me. First the movie starts out setting the stage for the events of the withdrawal and repeatedly on the screen they refer to the Nazis as the Enemy not Germany or Nazi forces just the enemy....

Second there is no mention of the rear guard action that saw the loss of thousands of soldiers killed or captured. Many died in captivity many spent five years as POW's.

It is a great movie that reflects the will to survive, but lost in the translation is much of the  true story on the ground and in the air that allowed it to happen. JMOP